Author Topic: Celtics Trade Deadline  (Read 25763 times)

Celtics Trade Deadline
« on: January 24, 2023, 01:06:54 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks before the February 9th trade deadline.

Although I hope for some type of depth upgrade, I won’t be holding my breathe, as Stevens seems much more conservative in his approach to roster construction than Ainge.

In my opinion, our best hope is targeting teams that are completely out of the playoff picture, or that have approval from ownership to drop from the play-in standings, and increase their teams draft odds.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 01:12:53 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Celtics Trade Deadline
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 01:11:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My guess:  the only trade we make near the deadline is salary dumping Jackson.  We'll then sign a couple of buyout guys to contracts, potentially with a team option for next year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 01:16:17 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
My guess:  the only trade we make near the deadline is salary dumping Jackson.  We'll then sign a couple of buyout guys to contracts, potentially with a team option for next year.

Yeah, I think you’re right Roy.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 01:19:24 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

I’d be fine with that. I really like the Celtics as currently constructed.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 01:29:29 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I’d love the Celtics to target Jae’Sean Tate. He’s like a smaller Winslow, but with a more consistent three point shot.

I’d imagine it’d take a protected first round pick, or multiple (high) second round picks, to pry him from Houston.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 06:09:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd see if a 1st and 2nd with Gallo can land Jalen Smith. Pacers are rumored to have decided to tank and Smith is probably available. Smith has regressed a little this year so it could be a buy low opportunity. He fits similar to what Grant and Al do so it's a nice option. He is locked up for one more year after this one.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 06:48:50 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The movement pre trade deadline will speak volumes as to what the club thinks about where Danilo’s at in the rehab process.

Danilo spoke about him and the team agreeing that traveling with the team while rehabbing was the best course of action. I gather that they’re just as optimistic as he is about returning this season.

With how well Kornet and Blake have fit and filled in and if he’s returning before the end of the season, standing pat is a good course of action. If not, a TPE+Draft asset(s) for a Vanderbilt, Wily Hernangomez, or Naz Reid might be the way to go.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 09:18:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Short of adding someone like Poeltl, the Celtics’ front office could still want to give Mazzulla another type of backup big man to use come playoff time. Kornet, for all of his strengths around the rim, isn’t the most versatile defender. Around the league, players such as Mason Plumlee, PJ Washington and Jae’Sean Tate could be available. A couple of those guys aren’t necessarily natural centers but would help the Celtics play a different style than Kornet does. By combining the contracts of Danilo Gallinari and Justin Jackson, the Celtics could absorb upwards of $9 million worth of returning salary in a deal without touching anyone in their current rotation. They also have Payton Pritchard, who has drawn interest as a potential trade chip if the right target emerges. – via Jay King @ The Athletic

If I have my math right, Gallinari + Pritchard + Jackson is total $10.8M in salary.  So 1.25X is $13.5M.  I believe that is how much we could take back (+/- $100K or so).  Just Gallinari and Jackson would allow for up to $10.75M.   Gallinari and Jackson are not really contributing at all.  Gallinari does have value for what he can give us next season.  Pritchard does fill in some, is a useful player, but is expendable in my mind for the right player.  A player that helps at another position more than Pritchard helps at combo guard.

If we send out 3 players, we probably have to take back at least 2 players or the other team will have to clear a couple of roster spots.  A 3 for 1 deal would be good for us, it would get us the best possible individual player, but it may make it hard for the other team to match up with us.  This will be a hard needle to thread.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 09:33:40 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 09:32:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Short of adding someone like Poeltl, the Celtics’ front office could still want to give Mazzulla another type of backup big man to use come playoff time. Kornet, for all of his strengths around the rim, isn’t the most versatile defender. Around the league, players such as Mason Plumlee, PJ Washington and Jae’Sean Tate could be available. A couple of those guys aren’t necessarily natural centers but would help the Celtics play a different style than Kornet does. By combining the contracts of Danilo Gallinari and Justin Jackson, the Celtics could absorb upwards of $9 million worth of returning salary in a deal without touching anyone in their current rotation. They also have Payton Pritchard, who has drawn interest as a potential trade chip if the right target emerges. – via Jay King @ The Athletic
considering the salary situation for next year, the C's will be rather limited in the value of the player they can bring in.  I suspect they'd like to hold on to Gallinari for next year since they'd be adding a strong offensive big to the lineup the already have this year with maybe a bit of cleaning up at the tail end of the roster to boost the chances of a title run.   that's without any optimism for a return for the playoffs this year.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 09:38:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
considering the salary situation for next year, the C's will be rather limited in the value of the player they can bring in.  I suspect they'd like to hold on to Gallinari for next year since they'd be adding a strong offensive big to the lineup the already have this year with maybe a bit of cleaning up at the tail end of the roster to boost the chances of a title run.   that's without any optimism for a return for the playoffs this year.

Yes, I agree, I am not expecting anything from Gallinari this season.  But you are right, he is still likely a nice player for next season and at a really nice price.  I am open to trading him in the right deal but it has to be a good deal.  He has value for next season.  I don't want to just give that away.  But if we can get a player in return that helps this season and next, it would be worth trading Gallinari.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 10:08:19 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
We don't need to empty the farm for a player, BUT I don't see a reason why we still can't add at least 2 depth players. A depth big, and a backup wing. If we're truly all-in, we should be able to do this. Not like Hauser is lighting the world on fire nor does he play much unless half the team is injured. Kornet/Griffin are okay for spurts but can't be relied on as our true #3 bigs.

Add 1 player through a trade, then maybe add another through buyout market
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 10:33:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yes, I agree, I am not expecting anything from Gallinari this season.  But you are right, he is still likely a nice player for next season and at a really nice price.  I am open to trading him in the right deal but it has to be a good deal.  He has value for next season.  I don't want to just give that away.  But if we can get a player in return that helps this season and next, it would be worth trading Gallinari.
completely agree that if we can land a quality player that would help this year (and going forward), it should be seriously considered.  question is whether such a player can be had without overpaying for them. 

side note someone else mentioned about trading Gallinari in a different thread -- trading an injured FA signing the year a team signs them is a bad look for the team.  Normally I'd agree it's a bad look unless the player has grossly underperformed OR in Gallinari's case, incurred a serious injury on their personal time which has rendered them incapable of playing for the team. 

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
We don't need to empty the farm for a player, BUT I don't see a reason why we still can't add at least 2 depth players. A depth big, and a backup wing. If we're truly all-in, we should be able to do this. Not like Hauser is lighting the world on fire nor does he play much unless half the team is injured. Kornet/Griffin are okay for spurts but can't be relied on as our true #3 bigs.

it's easy to say it should be done.  hard part is figuring out who those players would be and acquiring them for a reasonable cost that doesn't muck up the current team chemistry.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 10:54:25 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

it's easy to say it should be done.  hard part is figuring out who those players would be and acquiring them for a reasonable cost that doesn't muck up the current team chemistry.

Exactly, everyone would love to see a big and a wing added.  But it is not like we can bring in a useful player just like that.  Any player we bring in has to be pretty good, or they aren't going to help us.  The wing would need to be better than Hauser.  The big certainly better than Kornet and maybe in the range of Grant.

Players like that make decent money in general so trades have to match salary.  And we don't want to send out anything that is useful.  A trade is going to be tough.  Not impossible, but tough.

And we have to just wait and see regarding who we may be able to get as a released Vet FA.  Right now, the available options are pretty scant.  I am sure some more will get released as part of trade deadline moves, but just how useful those players will be is yet to be seen.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2023, 11:38:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
An extra salary sure would be nice.  It would allow the team to acquire someone like Bogdanovic from Detroit.  Without including a starter (or Brogdon or White), it would take 5 players to get to the salary needed for him including Grant, PP, and Kornet (so 3 "useful" players).  That just makes him to hard to acquire.  It is just frustrating the team doesn't have another mid-range salary on the roster given how easy it would have been to acquire them in the summer into the Fournier TPE. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip