Poll

Bottom of bench and four picks for Markkanen

Yes
6 (37.5%)
No
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Markkanen trade idea poll  (Read 3467 times)

Re: Markkanen trade idea poll
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 05:54:12 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
On a much more minor note, I can't help but wonder if Yam's draft rights are still worth anything to Ainge. With Davison around it doesn't seem like there's room for Yam in Boston, and the C's could use a spare future second (or hell, maybe just a flier on Simone Fonteccio as a regular-season wing/someone for Gallo to speak Italian with).

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 10:36:38 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Why would you consider disrupting the current success of the Celtics by making such a significant roster change at this time? While the players you propose trading may not be the most talented, the composition of the team is more than just individual talent. Bringing in four new players and giving up four first-round picks could greatly impact team chemistry, cohesion and future flexibility.

The Celtics are the top team in the NBA, and this trade proposal is perplexing.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 06:33:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Why would you consider disrupting the current success of the Celtics by making such a significant roster change at this time? While the players you propose trading may not be the most talented, the composition of the team is more than just individual talent. Bringing in four new players and giving up four first-round picks could greatly impact team chemistry, cohesion and future flexibility.

TL and Al are a concern. Markkanen can help at the five if one gets hurt. Not ready to see Kornet fill in over 15 mins if one goes down. If Al was two years younger or TL didn't keep missing time I'd be all for riding things out.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 01:21:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

if trading PP, Hauser, and Kornet plus future draft picks for a backup bigman (who would essentially take the minutes that currently go to Kornet, Blake, Hauser) disrupts the team, then the team has much larger problems.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2023, 05:13:42 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If that is the package for Lauri hell yes. He is playing as a sure fire all star this season, only 25. What a dynamic offense adding him to our team. The only semi rotational player we give up is Pritchard, 2 late first round picks, and 2 second round picks. Where do I sign up. Ainge would hang up so fast with that offer.

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023, 06:03:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
If that is the package for Lauri hell yes. He is playing as a sure fire all star this season, only 25. What a dynamic offense adding him to our team. The only semi rotational player we give up is Pritchard, 2 late first round picks, and 2 second round picks. Where do I sign up. Ainge would hang up so fast with that offer.
Not sure DA would hang up. The goal was to tank and his team is too competitive. Maybe it takes adding swap rights way down the road to sweeten the deal. DA could bite on that. Due to where Jazz are I'd expect DA is willing to make something happen sooner rather than later. DA did make huge down grades to tank in the past taking best offers at the time not actually good deals.

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 08:16:45 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Love to have the player but I'm afraid that this is one of those 5 pennies for a nickel type trades that wouldn't interest Ainge.

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 08:33:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Same old Danny:

To try to put a lighter bow on things: The first two league executives I spoke to last week after Kessler’s display, one from the Eastern Conference and the other from the West, basically had the same reaction. They said that, in their respective organizations, there’s a half-joking (but also half-serious) policy when it comes to Jazz CEO Danny Ainge that goes something like this: If Ainge is calling about a trade … let it go to voicemail. – via Marc Stein @ marcstein.substack.com

As others have said, the time to trade for Markkanen was last year.  He's at peak value right now, and Danny isn't moving him without major value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 08:35:10 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Not sure DA would hang up. The goal was to tank and his team is too competitive. Maybe it takes adding swap rights way down the road to sweeten the deal. DA could bite on that. Due to where Jazz are I'd expect DA is willing to make something happen sooner rather than later. DA did make huge down grades to tank in the past taking best offers at the time not actually good deals.

I don't think they are going to trade Markkanen.  I like the player, I am sure they do too.  Even if they are thinking "rebuild" (cough, cough), Markkanen is exactly the type of player a rebuilding team hopes to get, not that they trade away.

When he was with CLE, and they had a overload of bigs, and we had an overload of combo guards, I suggested White for Markkanen.  Many thought that was too much for Markkanen.  But Utah is not going to be interested in anything we have short of Brown.  There is no trade here with Utah.  The Markkanen ship has sailed.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2023, 10:19:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I don't think they are going to trade Markkanen.  I like the player, I am sure they do too.  Even if they are thinking "rebuild" (cough, cough), Markkanen is exactly the type of player a rebuilding team hopes to get, not that they trade away.

When he was with CLE, and they had a overload of bigs, and we had an overload of combo guards, I suggested White for Markkanen.  Many thought that was too much for Markkanen.  But Utah is not going to be interested in anything we have short of Brown.  There is no trade here with Utah.  The Markkanen ship has sailed.
DA traded a two time 27 year old all star from a playoff team away for scraps. I think he can move Markkanen.

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 11:34:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

DA traded a two time 27 year old all star from a playoff team away for scraps. I think he can move Markkanen.

Not sure what trade you are referencing but I really don't think Ainge is going to Trade Markkanen for scraps.  If he becomes available for scraps, sign me up.  That doesn't mean I don't think he would trade him for a lucrative package.  We aren't going to offer that type of package though and I don't expect anyone else will either, at least not at this deadline.

In fact, wasn't Ainge's phrase, "shooting with size"?  Markkanen is everything that Ainge likes.

Anyway, as I said, I really like Markannen, have for a while.  He is exactly what we need to play alongside RWilliams.  He is exactly what a lot of teams need, including Utah.

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 02:14:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Not sure what trade you are referencing but I really don't think Ainge is going to Trade Markkanen for scraps.  If he becomes available for scraps, sign me up.  That doesn't mean I don't think he would trade him for a lucrative package.  We aren't going to offer that type of package though and I don't expect anyone else will either, at least not at this deadline.

In fact, wasn't Ainge's phrase, "shooting with size"?  Markkanen is everything that Ainge likes.

Anyway, as I said, I really like Markannen, have for a while.  He is exactly what we need to play alongside RWilliams.  He is exactly what a lot of teams need, including Utah.
I'm guessing he meant the IT4 trade, but the only problem with that was Kyrie Irving wasn't scraps.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2023, 02:29:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I'm guessing he meant the IT4 trade, but the only problem with that was Kyrie Irving wasn't scraps.

CLE fans are probably the ones who feel they got scraps for Kyrie, not the other way around.

IT ended up hurt with a career ending injury.  Crowder and Zizic did nothing, and the pick became Sexton who did help them get Mitchell.

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2023, 05:59:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Wasn't IT4 the player was specifically a three time all star player for the C's but my point is the fact he was a back to back all stars made when DA traded him the very next off season for scraps. And DA's excuse was it was the best offer.

C's should try to make an offer for Markkanen or maybe Collins and not sit on their hands. One never knows but they need to upgrade or at least get another big with length that can be reliable.