Author Topic: JB’s Progress  (Read 13630 times)

Re: JB’s Progress
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2023, 08:05:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Nice win. That said Boston was -4 in Brown's 42 minutes and +6 in the 6 minutes he was on the bench, so you know better with him on the bench.

Smart was awful before he got hurt though.  Team was a lit better today without him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2023, 08:56:27 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Nice win. That said Boston was -4 in Brown's 42 minutes and +6 in the 6 minutes he was on the bench, so you know better with him on the bench.

Smart was awful before he got hurt though.  Team was a lit better today without him.

You watched the game right? 

I don’t need to look at the box score to know that Jaylen was way down in +/- early and played winning basketball to close the game.  Did similarly v. GS.  I bet he was + double figures in the 2nd half.

27/8/6. 

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2023, 09:07:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don’t need to look at the box score to know that Jaylen was way down in +/- early and played winning basketball to close the game.  Did similarly v. GS.  I bet he was + double figures in the 2nd half.

27/8/6.
yup, led the team in points, rebounds and assists.  spent a lot of time on the court with Al and Smart who were huge "-" tonight -- especially in the first half.  in the first half they dragged down the others on the court for that stat.  along that line, Al was -17 -- I don't think anyone would say he wasn't crucial to the team winning the game either. 

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2023, 09:11:45 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003

27/8/6.

The team should have left Horford at the hotel.  -14 for the game.  It's not like he did anything important for us all game.  Won the jump ball at the end of the game.  Not important.  -14.

Should have played Blake Griffin, who was +13 in 8 minutes of play.  Then we would have won the game by 78 points.

Because +/- is the king of all statistics.  It is a perfect and completely unquestionable method of assessing who helps their team and who doesn't.

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2023, 09:12:20 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
double post

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2023, 09:12:48 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White

27/8/6.

The team should have left Horford at the hotel.  -14 for the game.  It's not like he did anything important for us all game.  Won the jump ball at the end of the game.  Not important.  -14.

Should have played Blake Griffin all 48 minutes, who was +13 in 8 minutes of play.  Then we would have won the game by 78 points.

Because +/- is the king of all statistics.  It is a perfect and completely unquestionable method of assessing who helps their team and who doesn't.

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2023, 09:13:26 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
-

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2023, 09:41:12 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

27/8/6.

Should have played Blake Griffin all 48 minutes, who was +13 in 8 minutes of play.  Then we would have won the game by 78 points.

You can say that again!

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2023, 10:00:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

27/8/6.
He played the whole 2nd half I believe, so +9, which makes him -13 in the first half.  Smart was bad.  Team was lot a better without him, so maybe Smart brought everyone down in that first half or maybe, Brown's lack of getting to the line, lack of passing, and turnovers contributed to the poor play with the Smart/Brown/Horford trio in the 1st half.  Brown obviously played better in the 2nd half.

My post though was in relation to others bumping this thread after Boston won a game without Tatum and thereby my argument driven by years of data must be horrible. 

And just to be clear, there is a difference between not having much of an impact on winning and being a detriment to winning.  I don't think Brown is a detriment to winning, I just don't think he drives the needle all that much.  Even in this game, the team was better on the scoreboard when he was on the bench.  That is quite simply a fact. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2023, 10:07:36 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White

27/8/6.

You can say that again!

I did 4 times apparently.  The post or modify button wasn't working correctly, that or I was clicking the wrong button.  And I'm not even drunk.  Yet.

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2023, 12:41:05 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

27/8/6.
He played the whole 2nd half I believe, so +9, which makes him -13 in the first half.  Smart was bad.  Team was lot a better without him, so maybe Smart brought everyone down in that first half or maybe, Brown's lack of getting to the line, lack of passing, and turnovers contributed to the poor play with the Smart/Brown/Horford trio in the 1st half.  Brown obviously played better in the 2nd half.

My post though was in relation to others bumping this thread after Boston won a game without Tatum and thereby my argument driven by years of data must be horrible. 

And just to be clear, there is a difference between not having much of an impact on winning and being a detriment to winning.  I don't think Brown is a detriment to winning, I just don't think he drives the needle all that much.  Even in this game, the team was better on the scoreboard when he was on the bench.  That is quite simply a fact.

You continue to be a thief of joy and I respect it. Please continue- I love this take and the other takes that you’ve been wiffing on.

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2023, 01:16:58 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Great game from Brown tonight. Missed a few at the rim he'd like to have back but made the right plays when he needed to. Thats what stars do, find a way to contribute even when not everything is going their way.

After about the first 15ish games this year I thought his defense had been somewhat lacking, but he's been consistently very good to great on that end since then. Feels like he's making fewer off ball mistakes and generally being more physical.

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2023, 01:42:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

27/8/6.

You continue to be a thief of joy and I respect it. Please continue- I love this take and the other takes that you’ve been wiffing on.

Yeah although I a wondering if we should do something like Twitter and ask to have parody added to screen names.

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2023, 03:44:54 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
JB is a star. His shooting, his skill set, his defense is on high level for sure. Where he still lacks is decision making. Lose ball, contested shots, bad pass, usually comes after bad decision in a moment. That's what still makes difference between him and JT.

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2023, 08:40:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Needs to relax , let game come to him,  not press issue on scoring with nothing really there.  The good ones relax , save energy, then use their superior athleticism when the ball bounces their way.  The harder he tries sometimes backfires .