Author Topic: Draymond may get suspended  (Read 12051 times)

Re: Draymond may get suspended
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2022, 08:41:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I thought Steve Kerr was against violence. I guess he is unless it's against one of his payers. Golden State is full of hypocrites. The Celtics suspended their head coach for a year and no violence was involved. The next time Kerr speaks out against violence I'll realize he's just flapping his gums.

This is probably not the takeaway.

It's easy to talk about doing something about violence but it's another thing to do something when it affects you. Steve Kerr has given all sorts of tearful speeches against violence but when it comes to a situation where he can actually do something he does nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlxexKbtLr4

I think it’s possible for someone who a) has been around a lot of fights in 30+ years of pro basketball and b) experienced the murder of his father to view the two completely differently without having a shred of hypocrisy.
Yes....and no.

Kerr saw violence end a life.

If Green's violence was better aimed, he could have ended Poole's life.

Kerr appears to have a difference of opinion based on the end result of the violence. But, violence is violence and so, there is some hypocrisy in his stance. Violence should be punished.

But since, end results do matter, it's understandable he has that difference of opinion on both situations.
Green was punished though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2022, 08:44:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I thought Steve Kerr was against violence. I guess he is unless it's against one of his payers. Golden State is full of hypocrites. The Celtics suspended their head coach for a year and no violence was involved. The next time Kerr speaks out against violence I'll realize he's just flapping his gums.

It's easy to talk about doing something about violence but it's another thing to do something when it affects you. Steve Kerr has given all sorts of tearful speeches against violence but when it comes to a situation where he can actually do something he does nothing.

I think it’s possible for someone who a) has been around a lot of fights in 30+ years of pro basketball and b) experienced the murder of his father to view the two completely differently without having a shred of hypocrisy.
Yes....and no.

Kerr appears to have a difference of opinion based on the end result of the violence. But, violence is violence and so, there is some hypocrisy in his stance. Violence should be punished.

But since, end results do matter, it's understandable he has that difference of opinion on both situations.

Green got an undisclosed fine.

« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2022, 08:47:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I guess someone punching someone in the face should have some consequences but not in Golden State...

Sure but maybe you can see how that’s a bit of a different take than what you said earlier?

No, I still think Kerr doesn't walk the walk. I think this was a terrible handling of an obvious assault.  You can't be against some violence but OK with it when it benefits you.

« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2022, 09:06:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yes....and no.

Sure, which is basically all a suspension would have done anyway.

« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2022, 09:41:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Yes....and no.

What does punching a teammate in the face cost? 10,000$ It's a joke!

« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2022, 09:42:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yes....and no.

Not the same.

I think a 5 game suspension probably would have been about right. That's 5 games he hurts his team's ability to win due to his actions, which is going to hurt him in some eyes in that locker room, which is a penalty. And a 5 game suspension without pay comes to a little under $1.6 million.

I'm pretty sure they didn't find him anywhere near that.

« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2022, 09:44:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yes....and no.

Not the same.

I think a 5 game suspension probably would have been about right. That's 5 games he hurts his team's ability to win due to his actions, which is going to hurt him in some eyes in that locker room, which is a penalty. And a 5 game suspension without pay comes to a little under $1.6 million.

well we don't know what they fined him at this point so I don't think anyone can really say anything on that subject.  What if it comes out they fined him a million dollars?

« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2022, 12:16:21 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Yes....and no.

Not the same.

Yea let’s use a little common sense here. Sarver was fined 10 million dollars. The warriors don’t even have the authority to fine him 5 million without a bit battle from the players union.

https://clutchpoints.com/4-biggest-fines-in-nba-history-ranked/amp/

I swear common sense has taken a real dip on this forum this summer. I know there is one guy saying nonsense just for the sake of it, but it’s been more than that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:27:35 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2022, 12:53:46 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Ok I’m still pretty confused here. Are people really interpreting what Kerr said to mean he has seen 20 teammates get punched in the head and knocked over in the last 30 years?

In my mind it's clear as day.

Fights in practice happen all the time.  Here's the Inside the NBA crew discussing Portis/Mirotic from 2017, and the clip ends with Shaq saying there wasn't a single season in his career where fights didn't happen between teammates, and he threw punches a couple of times.  I imagine Kerr's experience was similar (here's a clip from 2020 showing the Kerr/Jordan fight clip from the Last Dance, then Kerr saying there were 3-4 practice fights per year).

But all "fights" aren't created equal.  Two guys tussling for a rebound, or someone takes exception to a hard foul or errant elbow, or 2 players guarding each other talking trash and things get heated. I imagine those are the types of fights that happen regularly (usually just shoving, an occasional punch, but all probably have 2 willing participants, and are quickly broken up).  It's an intense, physical game, things happen.  If you watched the Inside the NBA clip I posted above, Kenny Smith called those scuffles and seems to say they happen regularly (but that Portis/Mirotic fight was another level).

This Draymond Green thing is different.  It's not a scuffle.  No way I believe fights like that happen regularly (unless maybe Charles Oakley was on your team).  I think both Shaq and Kerr (and all other players chiming in) are being disingenuous when they talk about fights.  It's the difference between a player cussing out his coach and Sprewell choking Carlesimo, then trying to defend Sprewell by saying heated arguments between players and coaches happen all the time.  Not the same thing.

Definitely seems like some people are having a hard time separating the two.

Will also add, part of it seems to be living in the past, in a Mad Men world.  "In my day, bosses always slept with their secretaries, so I don't see what's wrong with it!"  So even if fights like this did happen regularly 10, 20, 30 years ago, doesn't mean it should still be accepted today.  NBA teams can evolve for the better like every other industry.

Thanks BDM, I think you summed this up well and is more in line what I believe it is logical rather than the "lazy this happens all the time." Just knowing basic math stuff if there were punches like Draymond threw all the time the NBA would have players on the injury lists with face lacerations, concussions etc. Punches like that do real damage and Green probably didn't fully connect to avoid injury in this case.

KD's thoughts on how often it happens:

Durant said that, during a decade and a half in the NBA, he can't remember seeing another player getting punched like Poole was.

"It's rare," Durant said. "It's rare. I've been in the league 16 years, and I've never seen that until the other day on camera. You hear about it with MJ and you hear about it with Bobby Portis, but there's nothing that's happening every year. It's very rare that something like that happens."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34789183/kevin-durant-says-draymond-green-punch-derail-warriors

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2022, 07:34:19 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Yes....and no.

Not the same.

Yea let’s use a little common sense here. Sarver was fined 10 million dollars. The warriors don’t even have the authority to fine him 5 million without a bit battle from the players union.

I swear common sense has taken a real dip on this forum this summer. I know there is one guy saying nonsense just for the sake of it, but it’s been more than that.

Quick sidebar: we don't need to be relying on a listicle that doesn't really relate to the subject at hand - think it weakens your point about 'common sense', to be honest.

In fact, it doesn't do any good to look at historic precedent to guesstimate how much Green was fined - the fact is, we won't know, and we can't know, because it's 'undisclosed'. 

What we do know is that the NBA Constitution has a cap on an individual fine from the commissioner to players of $50,000 for 'misconduct'. The fines for people who are not players are on a different scale but  the cap there appears to be $10,000,000 as we saw with Sarver, but interesting  to note that when it happened with Sterling the max was $2.5m, so that's gone up quite a bit.

So we can probably say that the highest fine was 50k. But, it could have been $5. We just don't know.

Note, I'm relying on this hosted copy of the constitution from September 2019:
https://atlhawksfanatic.github.io/NBA-BY-LAWS/constitution.html

because it's easier to search through but you can see the NBA-hosted PDF here:
https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2019/09/NBA-Constitution-By-Laws-September-2019-1.pdf

If there is a more recent one it would probably sit in the NBA's media hub (https://mediacentral.nba.com/ ) if anyone has the time/effort/energy & credentials to sign up for that.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2022, 08:21:31 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

I guess someone punching someone in the face should have some consequences but not in Golden State...

Sure but maybe you can see how that’s a bit of a different take than what you said earlier?

No, I still think Kerr doesn't walk the walk. I think this was a terrible handling of an obvious assault.  You can't be against some violence but OK with it when it benefits you.

Do you know that Kerr wasn't in support of a suspension? I don't know if a coach has unilateral power to suspend a player. He can recommend it, but it's probably a decision coming from higher up.

« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2022, 08:47:48 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Timing certainly looks like it played an issue here.

“I’m told that the Warriors, they put a significant amount of weight on the fact that opening night was ring night,” Wojnarowski said. “They did not treat this like it was one of 82. They didn’t want to suspend Draymond Green and keep him from that.

“Now if this incident had happened in the regular season or if this has been a regular opening night, and they weren’t there as defending champions, there probably would’ve been a suspension for Draymond Green.”

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2022, 08:49:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yes....and no.

Not the same.

Quick sidebar: we don't need to be relying on a listicle that doesn't really relate to the subject at hand - think it weakens your point about 'common sense', to be honest.

In fact, it doesn't do any good to look at historic precedent to guesstimate how much Green was fined - the fact is, we won't know, and we can't know, because it's 'undisclosed'. 

What we do know is that the NBA Constitution has a cap on an individual fine from the commissioner to players of $50,000 for 'misconduct'. The fines for people who are not players are on a different scale but  the cap there appears to be $10,000,000 as we saw with Sarver, but interesting  to note that when it happened with Sterling the max was $2.5m, so that's gone up quite a bit.

So we can probably say that the highest fine was 50k. But, it could have been $5. We just don't know.

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2019/09/NBA-Constitution-By-Laws-September-2019-1.pdf

If there is a more recent one it would probably sit in the NBA's media hub (https://mediacentral.nba.com/ ) if anyone has the time/effort/energy & credentials to sign up for that.
The Sixers fined Ben Simmons something like 20 million dollars last year.  The teams are not under the same limit that the NBA is.  They are 2 different entities that have different rules and requirements.  This is a point that is continually lost on people.  The league and the team are not the same. 

I'd be surprised if the fine wasn't at least equivalent to 1 game which is around 315k.  I'd guess it was more like 500k. 

« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2022, 08:50:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Timing certainly looks like it played an issue here.

“I’m told that the Warriors, they put a significant amount of weight on the fact that opening night was ring night,” Wojnarowski said. “They did not treat this like it was one of 82. They didn’t want to suspend Draymond Green and keep him from that.

“Now if this incident had happened in the regular season or if this has been a regular opening night, and they weren’t there as defending champions, there probably would’ve been a suspension for Draymond Green.”
They also sent him away for like 4 days, which probably would have been the "suspension" if it happened during the season.  Because it was the preseason they had more leeway on the timing.

« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Yes....and no.

Not the same.

The Sixers fined Ben Simmons something like 20 million dollars last year.  The teams are not under the same limit that the NBA is.  They are 2 different entities that have different rules and requirements.  This is a point that is continually lost on people.  The league and the team are not the same. 

I'd be surprised if the fine wasn't at least equivalent to 1 game which is around 315k.  I'd guess it was more like 500k.

Yeah fair point -  they'd be held to the relevant parts of the CBA - which is why Simmons & the 76ers entered arbitration. You can look at that on the same github, here:
https://atlhawksfanatic.github.io/NBA-CBA/player-conduct.html

My point is that while I can maintain that Green was fined 5 cents and a half a hot dog and you think it was half a million, we'll never know - but there are better and worse ways to make our guesses.

edit: Also, Simmons technically wasn't fined, if I recall correctly, they just withheld his pay. Not quite the same thing:
https://sports-entertainment.brooklaw.edu/mental-health-and-the-nba-cba-making-sense-of-the-ben-simmons-arbitration/
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.