Author Topic: Hornets (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game#1 10/2/22  (Read 14198 times)

Re: Hornets (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game#1 10/2/22
« Reply #255 on: October 03, 2022, 09:13:42 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Sam Hauser definitely justified my faith in him for at least one afternoon.  As advertised shooting, solid defense, a nice finish at the rim, and a terrific lob to Kabengele.  I’ll take it!

His defensive training under Tony Bennett was excellent.  Just stay between your man and the basket.  Let him shoot a jumper over you, with your arms extended vertically, and don't go for the pump fake.  Just make him take a tough shot, if he makes it, tip your cap.

Grant Williams does this perfectly and Smart does too.

« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2022, 09:16:48 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
I only stayed up for the first half. Kabengele apparently had a huge second. Among our 2 two way guys, is there anyone who showed enough to be considered for elevation to the regular roster?
Kabengele looked very active and did some good things. He looked way more active than Vonleh. So, my guess is he’ll get minutes until Time Lord returns. JD looked very good in his garbage time minutes but, barring several injuries he’s not getting called up any time soon.
If the Celtics didn’t have so many PGs, JD would absolutely be promoted, but they don’t need him so he’ll be a 2-way.  He looks like he belongs out there — can’t wait to see him next season.

Are you predicting that we'll part with one of our current PGs, making room for JD?

« Reply #257 on: October 03, 2022, 09:25:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I only stayed up for the first half. Kabengele apparently had a huge second. Among our 2 two way guys, is there anyone who showed enough to be considered for elevation to the regular roster?
Kabengele looked very active and did some good things. He looked way more active than Vonleh. So, my guess is he’ll get minutes until Time Lord returns. JD looked very good in his garbage time minutes but, barring several injuries he’s not getting called up any time soon.
If the Celtics didn’t have so many PGs, JD would absolutely be promoted, but they don’t need him so he’ll be a 2-way.  He looks like he belongs out there — can’t wait to see him next season.

Are you predicting that we'll part with one of our current PGs, making room for JD?

It’s not requisite for a PG to be moved for there to be roster space for him next season, but yes, I do think the backcourt will look different.

« Reply #258 on: October 03, 2022, 09:42:17 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum

It’s not requisite for a PG to be moved for there to be roster space for him next season, but yes, I do think the backcourt will look different.

Obviously it's not a prerequisite.  😆 

The subtext was that a good GM would not bring on yet another "player with PG skills" (I won't categorize as just a PG) with the current depth at that position.

Who do you predict leaving the backcourt in a WAG (wild ass guess)?  Perhaps odds?  Or ranked order of most-likely to leave versus staying?

1a. Pritchard
1b. White
3. Brogdon
4. Smart

« Reply #259 on: October 03, 2022, 09:46:43 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

We don't really have a traditional PG but we do have a bunch of combo guards that have played PG; Smart, White, Brogdon, Pritchard, Davison.  That is 5 on the team now that could play PG.  Brogdon is probably going to be used more as SG or guard-wing (sharing with Brown) but that still leaves a surprlus.   For this reason primarily, I see Davison staying as a 2-way this season.

I feel that it is very possible that White or Pritchard get traded at some point for a SF or PF or something.  Maybe even Smart could get traded, depending on who the target is.  Having Davison in the wings and playing well makes it easier to try to trade another of the combo guards.  Or Davison himself may have value in a trade.

It s hard to develop prospects in the NBA on a contending team.  You don't want to "waste" roster spots on prospects or projects and even if you do, there is not a lot of playing time for them.  But you need to strike a balance.  I think having say 14th and 15th on the roster being "prospects" along with the two 2-way slots as prospects is a good balance.

« Reply #260 on: October 03, 2022, 10:10:43 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

The subtext was that a good GM would not bring on yet another "player with PG skills" (I won't categorize as just a PG) with the current depth at that position.

Who do you predict leaving the backcourt in a WAG (wild ass guess)?  Perhaps odds?  Or ranked order of most-likely to leave versus staying?

1a. Pritchard
1b. White
3. Brogdon
4. Smart

Yeah, your order is the same as mine pretty much, although I might just have Pritchard at 1 and White at 2 instead of 1A and 1B.  But basically I think Davison will show this season that he’ll be ready for a rotation spot next season, and if you can have that quality for a minimum salary, you make a move to use that depth to strengthen a weakness elsewhere.

« Reply #261 on: October 03, 2022, 12:47:31 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum

1a. Pritchard
1b. White
3. Brogdon
4. Smart

Yeah, your order is the same as mine pretty much, although I might just have Pritchard at 1 and White at 2 instead of 1A and 1B.  But basically I think Davison will show this season that he’ll be ready for a rotation spot next season, and if you can have that quality for a minimum salary, you make a move to use that depth to strengthen a weakness elsewhere.

If Davison can establish a Jose Alvarado-like quality, I could see him getting spot minutes next year.

I'm not saying he will be as pesky on defense, but his energy and push-the-pace style could be quite attractive to the team.  If he can hold his own in half-court defensive sets.

« Reply #262 on: October 03, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Davison is a 20 year old second round pick, apparently with first round talent.  It is simply impossible to know his ceiling at this point.  But so far, he has looked great to me.  Love having him on a 2-way.  It is perfect for the situation.  He can be around the NBA team but also get time to play and just mature in the G-League.  No need to expect anything from him this season other than to get better, get stronger, get more mature.  Then see where he is at in a year.

« Reply #263 on: October 03, 2022, 01:06:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Davison is a 20 year old second round pick, apparently with first round talent.  It is simply impossible to know his ceiling at this point.  But so far, he has looked great to me.  Love having him on a 2-way.  It is perfect for the situation.  He can be around the NBA team but also get time to play and just mature in the G-League.  No need to expect anything from him this season other than to get better, get stronger, get more mature.  Then see where he is at in a year.

Yeah, I agree.  He's a pretty exciting player for a late second rounder, and not having to pay him an NBA salary for at least a year is even better.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes