Author Topic: Celtics Sign Blake Griffin  (Read 11155 times)

Re: Celtics Sign Blake Griffin
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2022, 02:02:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Is Blake a Hall if Famer?? :(
54.8% at bball-ref
From the same source: Al Horford at 12.2% and Kyle Lowry at 85.7%, so I don't know what this means.
That actually seems about right to me. 

Al has had just 5 All Star games, 1 3rd Team All NBA, and 1 2nd Team All Defense.

Blake has had just 1 extra All star (6 total), but has 3 2nd Team All NBA and 2 3rd Team All NBA.  Blake also has 3 top 10 MVP seasons, including finishing 3rd in 2014.  Blake scores a lot more, rebounds the same, and even passes more than Al. 

So Blake is far more decorated and that matters a lot when you are talking about the HOF.  And Al doesn't have the title that can bump people up. 

Lowry has the title, which helps your HOF cred immensely and he still had 6 All Star games and the 10th place MVP finish the one year he finished as a 3rd Team All NBA.  But for the title, Lowry wouldn't be as high on that rating, but he has the title so he gets the boost.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2022, 03:29:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Blake looks like a giant standing next to Grant.

« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2022, 03:59:12 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

That’s because he is, lol. I saw a video  recently of Grant shooting 3’s next to D-White and they look to be the same height.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SUeQ0tBT1zg
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:10:29 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2022, 04:27:34 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

That’s because he is, lol. I saw a video  recently of Grant shooting 3’s next to D-White and they look to be the same height.

Grant's ~2.5 inches taller than White, which is approximately the same Griffin is taller than Grant. Unless he grew after the combine, which would be extraordinarily rare.

« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2022, 04:36:56 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Grant's ~2.5 inches taller than White, which is approximately the same Griffin is taller than Grant. Unless he grew after the combine, which would be extraordinarily rare.

They are right next to each other. I’d give Grant maybe 1 inch on White. He’s not 6’6”.  JB is 6’6” and is clearly taller than Grant.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2022, 05:06:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

They are right next to each other. I’d give Grant maybe 1 inch on White. He’s not 6’6”.  JB is 6’6” and is clearly taller than Grant.

White has his hair in kind of an up-doo.  Makes him look a little taller.  But if Grant is 6'-6", he is barely that tall.  He is undersized.  If he was 2 or 3 inches taller, he might be an all star.  But he isn't.  He is undersized but still pretty good.  A lot rides on him continuing to hit 3s.  An undersized PF who can hit 3s has a career.  An undersized PF that can't is Semi Ojeleye.

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2022, 05:49:52 PM »

Online #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Is Blake a Hall if Famer?? :(
54.8% at bball-ref
From the same source: Al Horford at 12.2% and Kyle Lowry at 85.7%, so I don't know what this means.
That actually seems about right to me. 

Al has had just 5 All Star games, 1 3rd Team All NBA, and 1 2nd Team All Defense.

Blake has had just 1 extra All star (6 total), but has 3 2nd Team All NBA and 2 3rd Team All NBA.  Blake also has 3 top 10 MVP seasons, including finishing 3rd in 2014.  Blake scores a lot more, rebounds the same, and even passes more than Al. 

So Blake is far more decorated and that matters a lot when you are talking about the HOF.  And Al doesn't have the title that can bump people up. 

Lowry has the title, which helps your HOF cred immensely and he still had 6 All Star games and the 10th place MVP finish the one year he finished as a 3rd Team All NBA.  But for the title, Lowry wouldn't be as high on that rating, but he has the title so he gets the boost.

Al is short on traditional stats and accolades, and long on advanced stats, 2x NCAA Champion, and longevity.

WAR and advanced stats have a substantial impact on the MLB HOF, Al’s case will be a test of how much impact it has on the NBA HOF.

Al is in range of being in the top 75 in Win Shares, that and contributing to a title winner (or multiple) will make compelling case. Without a title, like his NBA career, can be easily lost in the shuffle.