Author Topic: Camp Competition  (Read 2413 times)

Re: Camp Competition
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 04:01:02 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Isn't Kabengele's size and skill set the closest to Rob's.  I am thinking\hoping he is the best fit and he steps up to fill in until Rob returns?

I agree and think he's the most likely to win the spot. Vonleh and Kornet are both 27. Kabengele just turned 25 and he's really the only one I've seen that has displayed the type of motor that is necessary to produce at the NBA level. Still, this will largely become an IQ contest between the three. The one who can make the best reads will probably get the job.

I think they are starting out with Kornet just because he's the only one with experience in the system.
They're not going to bring in anyone who's not familiar with their system and start him - especially at the 5 because that's the back of their defense. Anyone remember when Rob was constantly doing the wrong thing defensively in his early days?

That's not to say Vonleh & Kabengele can't earn minutes because they can. But Kornet's the logical first option unless they move Al to the 5 and/or start Grant.

OK, and that is why he's starting out ahead. But can you really say Kornet is far enough ahead on experience to matter very long?

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 06:07:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Isn't Kabengele's size and skill set the closest to Rob's.  I am thinking\hoping he is the best fit and he steps up to fill in until Rob returns?

I agree and think he's the most likely to win the spot. Vonleh and Kornet are both 27. Kabengele just turned 25 and he's really the only one I've seen that has displayed the type of motor that is necessary to produce at the NBA level. Still, this will largely become an IQ contest between the three. The one who can make the best reads will probably get the job.

I think they are starting out with Kornet just because he's the only one with experience in the system.
They're not going to bring in anyone who's not familiar with their system and start him - especially at the 5 because that's the back of their defense. Anyone remember when Rob was constantly doing the wrong thing defensively in his early days?

That's not to say Vonleh & Kabengele can't earn minutes because they can. But Kornet's the logical first option unless they move Al to the 5 and/or start Grant.

OK, and that is why he's starting out ahead. But can you really say Kornet is far enough ahead on experience to matter very long?
No. But there's also no way they're bringing in someone at the level of Vonleh & Kabengele - who have zero experience with the system they've been playing in for the past year - and no familiarity with the players - and starting them. 

More likely we'll see Al at the 5 with Grant or Al at the 5 with Tatum at the 4 (at least defensively) and they start 2 guards to go with Jaylen. In fact that's probably the most likely way they go.

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 07:53:17 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

No. But there's also no way they're bringing in someone at the level of Vonleh & Kabengele - who have zero experience with the system they've been playing in for the past year - and no familiarity with the players - and starting them. 

More likely we'll see Al at the 5 with Grant or Al at the 5 with Tatum at the 4 (at least defensively) and they start 2 guards to go with Jaylen. In fact that's probably the most likely way they go.

That's probably true, but they will need a big to give them 10-20 minutes until Williams comes back. Who starts doesn't matter much. That's the job that they are competing for and its a big step for whoever gets it.

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2022, 06:40:12 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
That's probably true, but they will need a big to give them 10-20 minutes until Williams comes back. Who starts doesn't matter much. That's the job that they are competing for and its a big step for whoever gets it.

Overall you're correct that they need a part-time big body to fill some space until Rob comes back, and that they can really limit what they ask of that person in order to get away with it. I think Kornet has a bigger leg up on that spot than you're presenting though, what with it being his third season in Boston and both Vonleh and Kabengele being out of the league last season.

I really wish Theis would get moved by Indiana to someplace that doesn't need him so Stevens could just go and get him yet again. Danny would really be plug and play for however long Rob needed to recover.