Author Topic: Camp Competition  (Read 2410 times)

Camp Competition
« on: September 28, 2022, 06:46:50 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
What is the real competition in camp?
We have 12 contacts counting Gallanari and Kornet.
2 Two-ways, already signed.

So 3 roster spots, or 4 if you want to cut Kornet. Why is more important than who.

Kornet is the only "C" in the competition, he's only partially guaranteed, he can be cut later. He get's one roster spot.

Vonleh. Jackson, Samanic, Kabengele for "PF/smallball C" . I don't see an advantage from promoting Kabengele at this time.  Samanic is more of a development project than a reclamation project. Vonleh is probably more likely to play "C" when Al is out. Maybe Jackson is more "switchy" I guess I'd pick Vonleh.

Layman, Thomas, Davison. Again no reason to promote Davison out of camp. I don't know what they are competing for. I would probably keep Samanic as a project.

Who can/does something in camp/pre-season that stands out.

Re: Camp Competition
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 07:29:11 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I read an article (forgot where) saying that the Cs got Samanic as a possible Gallo replacement in a year or two. I hope he surprises though and actually earns a roster spot this year. His motor was questioned in San Antonio but the skills, specially shooting, were there.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 07:34:42 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I read an article (forgot where) saying that the Cs got Samanic as a possible Gallo replacement in a year or two. I hope he surprises though and actually earns a roster spot this year. His motor was questioned in San Antonio but the skills, specially shooting, were there.
I'm leaning this way as well. We don't really have "future potential" on the roster. We don't have a lot of Draft capital so it would be good to hit on a young player somewhere.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:57:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I think it would be best if he earned a 2-way, with Kabengele winning a full roster spot.  Playing time is important for him, and with two guys out we’d never send him to Maine.  (Also, as a 3rd year player he’d be allowed to reject his assignment to Maine if we ever did send him there while on the 15-man roster).  He’d also be a restricted free agent next off-season, so if he looked good in Maine we could offer him something similar to Hauser.  Further, with Rob’s injury we have more immediate playing time for Kabengele to earn, so it would be great if he showed in camp he is ready for the opportunity.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 10:15:34 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Unfortunately we are stuck with Kornet. He’s not getting cut and probably will start.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 11:04:25 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Unfortunately we are stuck with Kornet. He’s not getting cut and probably will start.
Why do you reach that conclusion? Somebody you are "stuck with" is a starter? Makes no sense. I think Horford will start at center.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 11:34:56 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Why do you reach that conclusion? Somebody you are "stuck with" is a starter? Makes no sense. I think Horford will start at center.

Kornet has been running with the starters so far and Boston likes to start two bigs together.

They obviously see something else in Kornet I guess.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 11:41:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Kornet in theory is a good center for the team. Has size and can spread the floor. He just can't switch well. He does however do decent in using height against hedge and ice. You just need a roamer to cover up the quicker players penetration. Tatum and Smart are solid roamers so can see Kornet being much better with the starters.

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 02:19:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
What this tells me is that Grant is going to come off the bench (a role he is well suited for) and they want to keep him in that role through preseason.  Let him used to playing in that role.

But they need someone to plug in for RWill.  Doesn't it have to be Kornet or Vonleh?  Kornet at least knows the schemes.  To me it is not so much about Kornet but more about how Kornet can best allow the other starters to play to the schemes.

I don't read a whole lot into this.  Vonleh will likely get his chance to play with the starters but after he learns all the schemes that Kornet should already know.  This is why Kornet is getting the first shot at this.

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 02:36:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What this tells me is that Grant is going to come off the bench (a role he is well suited for) and they want to keep him in that role through preseason.  Let him used to playing in that role.

But they need someone to plug in for RWill.  Doesn't it have to be Kornet or Vonleh?  Kornet at least knows the schemes.  To me it is not so much about Kornet but more about how Kornet can best allow the other starters to play to the schemes.

I don't read a whole lot into this.  Vonleh will likely get his chance to play with the starters but after he learns all the schemes that Kornet should already know.  This is why Kornet is getting the first shot at this.

Well, for now it does.  Hopefully not for too long.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 02:50:36 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Isn't Kabengele's size and skill set the closest to Rob's.  I am thinking\hoping he is the best fit and he steps up to fill in until Rob returns?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 03:00:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
It appears that this is Kornet's chance to prove that he belongs in the league.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 03:06:24 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Isn't Kabengele's size and skill set the closest to Rob's.  I am thinking\hoping he is the best fit and he steps up to fill in until Rob returns?

I agree and think he's the most likely to win the spot. Vonleh and Kornet are both 27. Kabengele just turned 25 and he's really the only one I've seen that has displayed the type of motor that is necessary to produce at the NBA level. Still, this will largely become an IQ contest between the three. The one who can make the best reads will probably get the job.

I think they are starting out with Kornet just because he's the only one with experience in the system.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538

I agree and think he's the most likely to win the spot. Vonleh and Kornet are both 27. Kabengele just turned 25 and he's really the only one I've seen that has displayed the type of motor that is necessary to produce at the NBA level. Still, this will largely become an IQ contest between the three. The one who can make the best reads will probably get the job.

I think they are starting out with Kornet just because he's the only one with experience in the system.
They're not going to bring in anyone who's not familiar with their system and start him - especially at the 5 because that's the back of their defense. Anyone remember when Rob was constantly doing the wrong thing defensively in his early days?

That's not to say Vonleh & Kabengele can't earn minutes because they can. But Kornet's the logical first option unless they move Al to the 5 and/or start Grant.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 03:27:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Well, for now it does.  Hopefully not for too long.

I agree and I am not even expecting Kornet to be the starter for the start of the season.  Once Vonleh learns the schemes, he may be a better option.  And I feel it is still likely they bring in a vet (who will have to learn the schemes too).

But "For Now" it makes sense to have Kornet run with the starters in practice. 

We are talking about practice here, not a game, practice (the words of Allen Iverson live on).