Author Topic: Pre-season Game question(s)  (Read 1753 times)

Pre-season Game question(s)
« on: September 27, 2022, 12:47:37 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
Hey all.  I was considering attending the pre-season game this Sunday, and I have a couple of questions about it.

1) Are preseason games faster?  I know that there’s the same amount of game time, but could I reasonably expect a 1 pm game to end near to 3 than 3:30?

2) Is the environment better for 6 year-olds than a regular season game?  Or is it pretty similar (either in terms of fan behavior or arena-encouraged noise)?

3) I’m hoping to hold out for some bargain seats to appear on Sunday morning.  Is that a likely occurrence, or is there enough demand for preseason that the prices remain stable?

Thanks!

Re: Pre-season Game question(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 02:22:35 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
Everything I say is just an educated guess.

1) Not that much faster.  The C's 4 pre-season games last year lasted 2:07, 2:15, 2:05, 2:19.  Compare that to 4 games at the beginning of April: 2:21, 2:01, 2:12, 2:25, not that different. (That's tip off to final buzzer, doesn't include intros, national anthem, etc.).

2) I would guess yes/no.  Fan behavior (drunken, rowdy, disruptive fans), for a Sunday afternoon pre-season game is going to be as mild and kid friendly as ever, especially when the Patriots and Red Sox are playing at the same time (but as away games).  Crowd noise though will also suffer because of it (though a 6 year old probably won't notice), but these types of games tend to have stuff for the kids just to get families in the door.  (NOTE, I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER BEEN TO A PRE-SEASON GAME).

3) I'm a big fan of waiting for tickets, there's definitely last minute bargains to be had.  Pre-season + Patriots and Sox playing at the same time (though not in Mass).  This is not a high demand ticket. At the least, you won't be penalized for waiting.

Just to emphasize, I don't think I've ever been to a C's preason game, but I've been to a lot of games in a lot of different cities for every major sport.  So just my educated guesses, take it all with a grain of salt.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 03:45:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I went to a preseason game once, but it was a long time ago.

The one thing that was noticeably different that I can remember was the amount of people still in the building late in the fourth. It was considerably less than during the regular season. You could see people leaving in the early 4th quarter.

That's the only thing I can remember that was different than your run of the mill regular season game.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 06:57:29 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Hey all.  I was considering attending the pre-season game this Sunday, and I have a couple of questions about it.

1) Are preseason games faster?  I know that there’s the same amount of game time, but could I reasonably expect a 1 pm game to end near to 3 than 3:30?

2) Is the environment better for 6 year-olds than a regular season game?  Or is it pretty similar (either in terms of fan behavior or arena-encouraged noise)?

3) I’m hoping to hold out for some bargain seats to appear on Sunday morning.  Is that a likely occurrence, or is there enough demand for preseason that the prices remain stable?

Thanks!

I’m going to that game also—my first preseason game ever, I think. As BDM noted, Sunday games are much friendlier for kids.

Prices are definitely still a bit high for preseason, and availability is good. One other factor to consider: if you are on Ticketmaster’s website, the seats with red dots are resale tickets, and TM adds a 21% fee to them. Tickets with blue dots are directly from the Cs and only have a $5 fee. There are always a lot more of the former available.

I think you could wait at this point, but you’ll be picking a seat as much for your 6 year old to be able to see as anything else, so keep your eyes peeled, in case something strikes your fancy.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 07:49:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Thanks so much for the answers, everyone.  The kid and I are excited to see the Celtics start their journey towards a championship on Sunday!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 10:08:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm looking forward to the first game thread. For those who are not aware, game threads are where all the critical decisions are made about the Celtics future. I admit there is no reason to believe that Brad Stevens participates (under a false identity) though it's not out of the realm of possibility, at least in our minds.   8)   ;D

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 10:36:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Thanks so much for the answers, everyone.  The kid and I are excited to see the Celtics start their journey towards a championship on Sunday!

Enjoy!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 01:56:00 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
I'm looking forward to the first game thread. For those who are not aware, game threads are where all the critical decisions are made about the Celtics future. I admit there is no reason to believe that Brad Stevens participates (under a false identity) though it's not out of the realm of possibility, at least in our minds.   8)   ;D

Never understood why the Celtics don't listen to us more.  ;D

Mike

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 02:10:49 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Mike

I thought that was supposed to be a STM perk!

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 03:30:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

Mike

I am Brad Stevens.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 03:58:30 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
I miss the game threads!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 09:35:19 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Sadly, that was only prior to COVID.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 10:04:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Clippers with Wall playing Maccabbi. Is this team Yam plays for?