Author Topic: It's Media Day!  (Read 2916 times)

Re: It's Media Day!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2022, 03:50:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Tim Bontemps @TimBontemps
3 minutes ago
Jayson Tatum said he learned about what happened with Ime Udoka “on Twitter, like everybody else.” He said everyone was caught off guard by everything, but that the team has to try to move forward now and begin preparing for the upcoming season.

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 6 minutes ago
Tatum: “It’s a lot of things that they can’t speak about so I think I’m in the same boat (as others). I don’t know. It’s tough to tell if things were handled the right way or not.”

Huh.  At the press conference they said that they told the players that discipline would be coming, right?

Depends on the context right? Like supposedly they were informed. But informed of what? That Udoka would be punished, maybe not much beyond that? At least from what I recall when the team was apprised of the situation, the severity of the punishment itself wasn't decided.

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2022, 04:02:48 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Tim Bontemps @TimBontemps
3 minutes ago
Jayson Tatum said he learned about what happened with Ime Udoka “on Twitter, like everybody else.” He said everyone was caught off guard by everything, but that the team has to try to move forward now and begin preparing for the upcoming season.

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 6 minutes ago
Tatum: “It’s a lot of things that they can’t speak about so I think I’m in the same boat (as others). I don’t know. It’s tough to tell if things were handled the right way or not.”

Huh.  At the press conference they said that they told the players that discipline would be coming, right?

Tatum was saying he found out something was going on with Udoka at the same time as everyone else, so last Wednesday night.  That’s not inconsistent with the team having had a meeting with players before Friday morning’a press conference.  Tatum clarified in a follow-up that he found out on Twitter and the team met the next day.

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2022, 04:53:10 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Wasn't there a rumor few days ago that a star Celtics starter snitched on Udoka? It seems like both JB and JT were surprised and know as much as we do based on their reactions.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2022, 05:01:32 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Wasn't there a rumor few days ago that a star Celtics starter snitched on Udoka? It seems like both JB and JT were surprised and know as much as we do based on their reactions.

If you want to play the rumor game, Smart also seemed just as unaware.  Horford, on the other hand, didn’t participate in the press conferences.  But there a likely a thousand better reasons for that.

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2022, 06:53:00 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I'm very anxious to see this team take the floor!

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2022, 06:53:05 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

There’s plenty of rumors on Twitter, none of them credible.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I watched Mazzulla’s presser, and he seems like someone with high emotional intelligence, which is absolutely an asset in the current situation.  I think the team is in good hands, but I do expect a bumpy start to the season.  The team seems not in the greatest headspace, and Mazzulla doesn’t seem like the type of person who is going to force them to get past what’s gone on before they’re ready.  Long run that’s probably the wise thing, but in the short run we may pay for it in on-court preparation.

Hard to know how impacted individual players/team will be.  Responses will likely vary and team impact short and long term is anyone's guess. I completely agree with your impression of Mazzulla.  He seemed to understand that this is something to have some patience with, to listen, to let players work through it.  Can't ask for more from such a young guy.  Glad to hear that the players like him and that he was an important player in the defensive scheme/culture.    That continuity will help.  Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.   The guy I envy least is Brogdon.  Working at becoming part of the team as the rest of them deal with this situation.   

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2022, 08:02:12 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I watched Mazzulla’s presser, and he seems like someone with high emotional intelligence, which is absolutely an asset in the current situation.  I think the team is in good hands, but I do expect a bumpy start to the season.  The team seems not in the greatest headspace, and Mazzulla doesn’t seem like the type of person who is going to force them to get past what’s gone on before they’re ready.  Long run that’s probably the wise thing, but in the short run we may pay for it in on-court preparation.

It actually reminded me of Ime’s presser last year. His voice was a bit crackly, probably nervous tension as he’s a rookie head coach. He said all the things that us fans wanted to hear. Perhaps the main difference is Ime had a bigger “presence” both physically and mentally. He came across as a tough guy who would command respect from the players. Joe on the other hand was more like Brad Stevens. He sounded intelligent and knowledgeable. But his youth and demeanor hopefully doesn’t get in the way of his coaching. The players seem to like him a lot and I hope he has the toughness to really implement his coaching philosophies.