Author Topic: 2023 NFL Draft Thread  (Read 12095 times)

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2023, 10:28:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Value wise, the Pats got a steal.  It was a classic "need v. BPA" pick, and they went with BPA.  Very smart.

I think the Eagles had an amazing first round.  Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith are both potentially studs.

Detroit puzzled me.  They start at #6, with some excellent players available.  They trade down to #12 and pick an RB?!  I don't think I saw a single mock that had two RBs going in the 1st, let alone both inside the top-12.

Are you happy with the Bears trading down a slot with Carter sitting right there for the taking? OL was def a need but, man, if Carter plays to his potential and keeps his head on straight….

The Bears started all this by trading the #1 pick.  They traded a $10 bill for a bunch of $1s and then traded one of them for some quarters.  I get the strategy.  In Football, getting that one high pick isn't the same as in basketball.  But if Carter turns out to be a star, they may regret this.  The historical percentages favor what the Bears did though, in terms of how to rebuild.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a $10 for a bunch of $1s. 

I'd say it's more like trading in a $20 lottery ticket for two $10 tickets, a couple of $5 tickets, and a mystery ticket (Carolina's #1, which could be worth more than this year's #1).

But, I get the angst among a lot of Bears fans.  When we were picking #1, a lot of folks (myself included) were hoping we'd stay in the top-4, picking up some future assets and grabbing Carter, a guy with #1 overall upside.  It looked like the Bears could get best case scenario last night, getting a huge payment for #1 overall and still getting arguably the best position player in the draft.

Still, the Bears turned their first rounder into D.J. Moore, Darnell Wright, #61 overall, a 2024 CAR #1, a 2024 PHI #4, and a 2025 CAR #2.  That should be at least five above-average starters.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2023, 10:39:33 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Value wise, the Pats got a steal.  It was a classic "need v. BPA" pick, and they went with BPA.  Very smart.

I think the Eagles had an amazing first round.  Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith are both potentially studs.

Detroit puzzled me.  They start at #6, with some excellent players available.  They trade down to #12 and pick an RB?!  I don't think I saw a single mock that had two RBs going in the 1st, let alone both inside the top-12.

Are you happy with the Bears trading down a slot with Carter sitting right there for the taking? OL was def a need but, man, if Carter plays to his potential and keeps his head on straight….

The Bears started all this by trading the #1 pick.  They traded a $10 bill for a bunch of $1s and then traded one of them for some quarters.  I get the strategy.  In Football, getting that one high pick isn't the same as in basketball.  But if Carter turns out to be a star, they may regret this.  The historical percentages favor what the Bears did though, in terms of how to rebuild.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a $10 for a bunch of $1s. 

I'd say it's more like trading in a $20 lottery ticket for two $10 tickets, a couple of $5 tickets, and a mystery ticket (Carolina's #1, which could be worth more than this year's #1).

But, I get the angst among a lot of Bears fans.  When we were picking #1, a lot of folks (myself included) were hoping we'd stay in the top-4, picking up some future assets and grabbing Carter, a guy with #1 overall upside.  It looked like the Bears could get best case scenario last night, getting a huge payment for #1 overall and still getting arguably the best position player in the draft.

Still, the Bears turned their first rounder into D.J. Moore, Darnell Wright, #61 overall, a 2024 CAR #1, a 2024 PHI #4, and a 2025 CAR #2.  That should be at least five above-average starters.

I agree with this, and your quantification of the lottery tickets.  You trade one ticket that has a low chance of a high payoff for more tickets and more chances for smaller (but still very good) potential payoffs.  In football, that is usually the way to go.

You are right that 90% of that strategy was in the bank and they still could have taken Carter.  That additional 4th round pick or whatever is small potatoes in the big scheme of things.  Clearly they made the evaluation that Carter was not as sure fire as many thought.  I don't know.  But if they weren't going to pick him anyway, they may as well pick up an extra pick, like the Pats did.  We'll see how that evaluation holds up.

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2023, 02:31:36 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I have never seen such a broad consensus on a Patriots first round draft pick.  Every outlet I have looked at gives the Pats and A or an A+.  It seems just about everyone had him rated in the top 10.  It is odd that picks 20-23 were all WRs and that none were taken prior to pick 20.  The Pats could have had their choice of any of these.  I guess they figure there will still be good receivers available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2023, 02:33:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I was surprised to see Levis didn't get drafted in the 1st round. There was so much hype with him along with Richardson, and Richardson got picked #4 while a ton of mocks/projections had Levis in the Top-10

Though I agree with most, Levis just seems "meh" to me. I think Richardson at least has that freak athleticism and ability where there's a chance he can become a star. Or maybe he looks average (with poor passing percentages like in college) and is a bust. A bit of a gamble, but I can completely understand the Colts' perspective. Stroud was already gone. Richardson's ceiling though can be very high
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2023, 04:42:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wonder when Levis will get drafted and to who.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2023, 05:11:29 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hearing Tennessee is trying to trade up, maybe get him..Tampa & Atlanta may need some QB & don’t count out Seattle & Rams
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2023, 05:33:55 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I have never seen such a broad consensus on a Patriots first round draft pick.  Every outlet I have looked at gives the Pats and A or an A+.  It seems just about everyone had him rated in the top 10.  It is odd that picks 20-23 were all WRs and that none were taken prior to pick 20.  The Pats could have had their choice of any of these.  I guess they figure there will still be good receivers available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
He’s a stud. My son goes to Oregon so I’ve seen him a lot. He makes big time plays. As a Dolphins fan I’m not happy about the pick. 😉

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2023, 07:28:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hearing Tennessee is trying to trade up, maybe get him..Tampa & Atlanta may need some QB & don’t count out Seattle & Rams

You called it. Titans nab him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team