Author Topic: What's up with DC movies?  (Read 16695 times)

Re: What's up with DC movies?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2022, 06:50:49 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Suits got involved too much, part of the JLA isssue was they wanted it under 2 hours and before the year ended because they were trying to get bonuses and show profit because they were about to sell the studio.

They don't know how to handle Superman, Cavil could be great, but they're trying to make him moody and real, when he's suppose t be the boy scout and inspirational. Snyder had a big hand in WW but then they allowed Jenkins to do what she wanted with WW84, and that was bad. Aquaman does well mostly cause Moma is half naked the whole time, hey, sex sells.

Casting issuse with Ray Fisher calling Geoff Johns racist even though his ex wife called BS on it and who is also black, Amber Heard who can't act and is a trash Human being, and now Millar who might actually be worse than Heard.

They tried to fast track and do what Marvel did in half the time.

The new Guy in charge has stated they only want to put out movie they can be proud of, and wanted to build the DCU around Superman. Which is what it should have been. Rumor is James Gunn may be heading the DCU. He did the new Suicide Squad which was pretty good, and at least got the concept. He also killed it with Guardians of the Galaxy, the second one wasn't as good, first half wasn't good, but really ended on a high note, but some of the issues could be Marvel Suit related.

If that happens I bet we see Nathon Fillion as Hale Jordan GL, old and grumpy, but trains John Stewart to take over for him.

I think they are going to start over, but the Flash movie was suppose to help reboot everything, but Miller kinda is effing that up. They are holding on because its testing really well, but it might have to go straight to HBO.

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2022, 07:25:38 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Regarding the movies, what the MCU has done collectively, has been impressive. However, the movies individually, are lacking replay value. I would argue most of the connective ties in the MCU have to do with post credit scenes.

Individually, I think the DC movies are superior, and have more replay value.

The MCU seems more concerned with the amount of content, and not necessarily the quality. Have you read about the people who work on the CGI for the MCU? Their lives are miserable because of the work demands that Disney is imploring.

DC has not been afraid of holding movies back since the Justice League disaster because they don't want to cut corners. So if the CGI isn't ready, the movie gets delayed. On the other hand, the MCU will just release the movie, regardless of the CGI.

Can you specify what you're talking about re: CGI? I've never had a problem with Marvel's CGI; whereas, for example, the CGI work on Steppenwolf in Wonder Woman is a bit lacking, IMO.

And I completely disagree on the replay value of MCU movies. I've rewatched each of those at least a couple of times, some even more, but the only DC ones I care to rewatch are Man of Steel, BvS, WW, and Justice League.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2022, 02:04:20 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Regarding the movies, what the MCU has done collectively, has been impressive. However, the movies individually, are lacking replay value. I would argue most of the connective ties in the MCU have to do with post credit scenes.

The MCU seems more concerned with the amount of content, and not necessarily the quality. Have you read about the people who work on the CGI for the MCU? Their lives are miserable because of the work demands that Disney is imploring.

DC has not been afraid of holding movies back since the Justice League disaster because they don't want to cut corners. So if the CGI isn't ready, the movie gets delayed. On the other hand, the MCU will just release the movie, regardless of the CGI.

Can you specify what you're talking about re: CGI? I've never had a problem with Marvel's CGI; whereas, for example, the CGI work on Steppenwolf in Wonder Woman is a bit lacking, IMO.

And I completely disagree on the replay value of MCU movies. I've rewatched each of those at least a couple of times, some even more, but the only DC ones I care to rewatch are Man of Steel, BvS, WW, and Justice League.

To give a specific example, Bruce Banner's floating head in the Hulk buster suite in Infinity War.

Here's a pretty good article on their vfx problems:
https://www.theringer.com/marvel-cinematic-universe/2022/7/21/23272388/marvel-mcu-vfx-cgi-problems-working-conditions

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2022, 02:07:34 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Over the past couple of years, I'd argue DC has had the stronger lineup of movies than Marvel overall. Joker, The Batman, The Suicide Squad, and the Peacemaker tv show have all been at least good. The issue is the brand is damaged by many years of garbage. If Zaslav's plan is to wipe the slate clean and reboot the DCEU, I'm all for it. Keep the aforementioned good stuff, and start over by making a Superman movie that isn't box office poison.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2022, 02:37:48 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

To give a specific example, Bruce Banner's floating head in the Hulk buster suite in Infinity War.

Here's a pretty good article on their vfx problems:
https://www.theringer.com/marvel-cinematic-universe/2022/7/21/23272388/marvel-mcu-vfx-cgi-problems-working-conditions

The working conditions are a separate issue, IMO. I'm just talking about the quality of the CGI. It's certainly not perfect in Marvel movies, but I'm not sure that CGI is ever perfect. People who watch a lot of movies can usually tell if something is CGI, even if it's high-quality CGI, and I think what it boils down to is whether viewers immediately think, upon seeing a piece of CGI, "Wow, that's obviously fake." I didn't think that when I saw Banner's head; I did think that when I saw Steppenwolf.

[And I made a mistake before by saying Steppenwolf was in Wonder Woman; he was in Justice League, where he attacked Wonder Woman's homeland (thus my confusion).]
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2022, 06:56:06 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
   It’s such a long sordid  story on how they treated Zack Snyder. He wanted a basic 5 story arc and people could build east they wavy around that. He’s got two more left. I thought HIS Justice a league was amazing. His movies to me are more drama than swashbuckling g adventure/ comedy.
   DC shoukd never moved away from what he was doing . Media was paid with access to cash these movies. They weren’t for everybody but you’re not gonna make Marvel movie money without the comedy and quips . That’s what brings kids and women ciewers in.
    Snyder will be back. It’s always been profitable. It was just studio executives badmouthing snd interfering to wrestle full creative power. It’s an amazing story in his backyard they treated the crew. Most disgusting was using the death of director Zack Snyder’s daughter to help pressure him out and telling the press if was his vision.
   But it’s all coming back. All that canon is restored.cavil, Affleck ate back. Snyder us busy at Netflix but will be back.

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2022, 07:00:28 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
 Gunn’s Suicide Squad was a huge flop while the one from 2016 was very successful. I’m excited to see David Ayer’s Suicide Squad from 2016. He has said he didn’t make a comedy . He never used a song with lyrics in his movie. He says his movie is in line with the tone of the first trailer.

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2022, 07:42:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Gunn’s Suicide Squad was a huge flop while the one from 2016 was very successful. I’m excited to see David Ayer’s Suicide Squad from 2016. He has said he didn’t make a comedy . He never used a song with lyrics in his movie. He says his movie is in line with the tone of the first trailer.

I'm guessing your comparing Box office to measure success. While you usually can, this isn't one of them.

2016 SS was the first appearance of Quinn which drove the boxoffice. I sold prints that weekend at the theater, I've never sold that much of One print at all the show openings I've done, and made the most money out side of Force Awakens weekend, but that was two days of 2016 SS vs 4 of Star Wars.

But the 2016 movie was bad, started off good, but after the first 45 minutes it was garbage.

Gunns SS movie came out in the middle of the pandemic, but it did really well streaming and was a hit among audiences. 82 approval over 58 to the 2016 one.

There are ton of movies that are better than Avatar, but because of the 3D gimmick, it had a huge boxoffice, I don't expect the next one to do nearly as well.

Gunn also took a handful of characters that most people didn't know, and turned them into one of the most recognizable Marvel properties. It's definatly in my top 5 of rewatchable Marvel movies, and top 10 all time.

I dont know why you brought up Ayer, we haven't actually seen his movie, it's like blaming Snyder for the JLA that Whedon almost completely reshot.

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2022, 09:05:50 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
   It’s such a long sordid  story on how they treated Zack Snyder. He wanted a basic 5 story arc and people could build east they wavy around that. He’s got two more left. I thought HIS Justice a league was amazing. His movies to me are more drama than swashbuckling g adventure/ comedy.
   DC shoukd never moved away from what he was doing . Media was paid with access to cash these movies. They weren’t for everybody but you’re not gonna make Marvel movie money without the comedy and quips . That’s what brings kids and women ciewers in.
    Snyder will be back. It’s always been profitable. It was just studio executives badmouthing snd interfering to wrestle full creative power. It’s an amazing story in his backyard they treated the crew. Most disgusting was using the death of director Zack Snyder’s daughter to help pressure him out and telling the press if was his vision.
   But it’s all coming back. All that canon is restored.cavil, Affleck ate back. Snyder us busy at Netflix but will be back.

Well said.

Look at the reactions to theatrical cuts vs directors cuts and you van see the hate is misplaced. 

He was telling a story about superman growing into the heroine know rather than just redoing the Donner movies.

People think he didn't understand the character but he took inspiration from "Gladiator " which Schuster and Seigle drew from.

Never understood why people wanted DC to be just like marvel rather than have variety.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2022, 09:13:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Well said.

Look at the reactions to theatrical cuts vs directors cuts and you van see the hate is misplaced. 

He was telling a story about superman growing into the heroine know rather than just redoing the Donner movies.

People think he didn't understand the character but he took inspiration from "Gladiator " which Schuster and Seigle drew from.

Never understood why people wanted DC to be just like marvel rather than have variety.

I think Snyder’s characters tend to be too stiff.  Partially that’s how the characters are written themselves; Batman plays it straight.  So does Superman.  You can break that up a bit with alter egos, but when you’ve got too many heroes on screen with the same personality, it doesn’t work.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 09:20:34 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2022, 09:43:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I was fine with Snyder's Superman until the end of Man of Steel.  Snyder destroyed everything that makes Superman, Superman with that ending.  The shear disregard for human life and then taking of Zod's life.  That isn't what Superman is supposed to be.  He is supposed to be a beacon of what humanity should be, not what humanity is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2022, 03:20:59 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I was fine with Snyder's Superman until the end of Man of Steel.  Snyder destroyed everything that makes Superman, Superman with that ending.  The shear disregard for human life and then taking of Zod's life.  That isn't what Superman is supposed to be.  He is supposed to be a beacon of what humanity should be, not what humanity is.
See, while I agree with you overall, I was done with Snyder's garbage Superman from basically the beginning of Man of Steel. The scene where a random guy taunts Superman and then Superman proceeds to trash his truck is so hilariously not Superman, it's character assassination. Not to mention when Superman's father basically tells him that he should have let a bus full of children drown to protect his identity. Also don't get me started on all the Jesus imagery lol.

The Snyder cult has always been such a weird thing to me. That a director so mediocre would have such a rabid following defies logic. Snyder is basically a step above Michael Bay in terms of talent.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2022, 08:59:18 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
See, while I agree with you overall, I was done with Snyder's garbage Superman from basically the beginning of Man of Steel. The scene where a random guy taunts Superman and then Superman proceeds to trash his truck is so hilariously not Superman, it's character assassination. Not to mention when Superman's father basically tells him that he should have let a bus full of children drown to protect his identity. Also don't get me started on all the Jesus imagery lol.

The Snyder cult has always been such a weird thing to me. That a director so mediocre would have such a rabid following defies logic. Snyder is basically a step above Michael Bay in terms of talent.

The Reeves Superman actually got physical throwing g a bully around and also crushed Zod’s hand sho was as weak as a human snd threw him down a chasm to his death while smiling. Messing up a guy’s truck is much more Superman.

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2022, 09:01:46 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

Well said.

This. Art is subjective so it’s whatever you like but I appreciated Snyder did t want to do the same exact thing as Marvel. It’s good to have originality and variety.

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2022, 09:04:33 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

I'm guessing your comparing Box office to measure success. While you usually can, this isn't one of them.

2016 SS was the first appearance of Quinn which drove the boxoffice. I sold prints that weekend at the theater, I've never sold that much of One print at all the show openings I've done, and made the most money out side of Force Awakens weekend, but that was two days of 2016 SS vs 4 of Star Wars.

But the 2016 movie was bad, started off good, but after the first 45 minutes it was garbage.

Gunns SS movie came out in the middle of the pandemic, but it did really well streaming and was a hit among audiences. 82 approval over 58 to the 2016 one.

There are ton of movies that are better than Avatar, but because of the 3D gimmick, it had a huge boxoffice, I don't expect the next one to do nearly as well.

Gunn also took a handful of characters that most people didn't know, and turned them into one of the most recognizable Marvel properties. It's definatly in my top 5 of rewatchable Marvel movies, and top 10 all time.

I dont know why you brought up Ayer, we haven't actually seen his movie, it's like blaming Snyder for the JLA that Whedon almost completely reshot.

I bring up Ayer because I suspect Ayer’s cut of his Suicide Squad will be released and I expect it will be much better and much different in tone than the theatrical. After seeing what the studio and Whedon did to Snyder’s movie I’m really curious how different it will be.