Author Topic: 2022-23 College Football Thread  (Read 40217 times)

Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 22, 2022, 11:00:46 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Oregon making a case.  Beat unbeaten UCLA pretty easily.  If they win out, they might finish ahead of an unbeaten Clemson.  Certainly would be interesting if it came down to those 2 for the 4th spot.
Oregon isn't getting in over an unbeaten Clemson.  That absolute beatdown that Georgia gave Oregon isn't going away. 

« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2022, 11:06:39 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Oregon making a case.  Beat unbeaten UCLA pretty easily.  If they win out, they might finish ahead of an unbeaten Clemson.  Certainly would be interesting if it came down to those 2 for the 4th spot.
Oregon isn't getting in over an unbeaten Clemson.  That absolute beatdown that Georgia gave Oregon isn't going away.

Yeah.  They also aren’t getting in over 1-loss Ohio State or Michigan, assuming that matchup isn’t a blowout.  You can’t lose 49-3 and make the playoffs unless you’re going up against 2-loss teams.

« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2022, 11:46:50 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yeah.  They also aren’t getting in over 1-loss Ohio State or Michigan, assuming that matchup isn’t a blowout.  You can’t lose 49-3 and make the playoffs unless you’re going up against 2-loss teams.
They aren't getting in over a 1-loss Georgia or Tennessee either. 

« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2022, 11:52:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I luv Duke stomped a turd out of the Miami Hurricane.

« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2022, 12:40:45 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
We may find out. Clemson plays no one.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 1 loss Oregon be ahead of unbeaten Clemson.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2022, 10:40:15 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
We may find out. Clemson plays no one.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 1 loss Oregon be ahead of unbeaten Clemson.
Oregon has played Georgia who destroyed them and they had a good home win against UCLA.  Otherwise, they've played no one.  So I can only assume that you are seriously over valuing the UCLA win.  Clemson has beaten Wake Forest, NC State and Syracuse and remains unbeaten.  That's hardly no one. 

If you want to talk about a team who has played no one, that would be Ohio State and 6 of their 7 games have been at home. 

« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2022, 10:46:02 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
My gut feeling is, Georgia, Tennessee and the winner of Ohio State-Michigan will be 3 of the spots in  some order. I don't see the loser of Georgia-Tennessee in a few weeks dropping that much unless the loser gets destroyed by a ton. That will leave 1 spot which IMO will come down to the loser of Ohio State-Michigan, Alabama, Clemson and TCU. TCU I think is a real darkhorse if they remain unbeaten.

There's also all the championship games to factor in.

I will say though, I'm not high on Clemson as others. I mean it's obvious Uiagalelei isn't it and while they are unbeaten, they have had a lot of very close games (4 if my count is correct including to unranked Florida State last week).

Some have talked about Oregon above in this thread but honestly, if Clemson went up against a team like Georgia/Ohio State/Tennessee I think they'd get throttled too just like Oregon week 1.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2022, 11:30:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Oregon has played Georgia who destroyed them and they had a good home win against UCLA.  Otherwise, they've played no one.  So I can only assume that you are seriously over valuing the UCLA win.  Clemson has beaten Wake Forest, NC State and Syracuse and remains unbeaten.  That's hardly no one. 

If you want to talk about a team who has played no one, that would be Ohio State and 6 of their 7 games have been at home.
In the scenario where Oregon wins the Pac 12, they will have wins over UCLA, Utah, and probably USC (in the title game).  I believe those 3 teams are better than any team in the ACC outside of Clemson. 

The committee has often rewarded teams for playing tough out of conference games, even when they don't go their way.  I mean the very first playoff, Ohio State lost by 14 points at home in their 2nd game to Va Tech.  They won out and started crushing teams and jumped both TCU and Baylor that had been ahead of them the whole time until the last week (and OSU went on to win the national title).  Now they both had 1 loss like OSU did, but they also scheduled their non-con to play no one, which was a large factor for the committee (in their own words).

Yes, Oregon got whipped by Georgia, but they played Georgia.  Had Oregon played some team like Idaho and crushed them, they'd pretty clearly be ahead of Clemson at this point, so why should you reward Clemson for playing no one (I get they have South Carolina still, but they aren't good this year)?  I don't think it is a given that an unbeaten Clemson will automatically be ahead of a 1 loss Oregon.  It certainly may depend how it goes down the stretch, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2022, 12:58:22 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

In the scenario where Oregon wins the Pac 12, they will have wins over UCLA, Utah, and probably USC (in the title game).  I believe those 3 teams are better than any team in the ACC outside of Clemson. 

The committee has often rewarded teams for playing tough out of conference games, even when they don't go their way.  I mean the very first playoff, Ohio State lost by 14 points at home in their 2nd game to Va Tech.  They won out and started crushing teams and jumped both TCU and Baylor that had been ahead of them the whole time until the last week (and OSU went on to win the national title).  Now they both had 1 loss like OSU did, but they also scheduled their non-con to play no one, which was a large factor for the committee (in their own words).

Yes, Oregon got whipped by Georgia, but they played Georgia.  Had Oregon played some team like Idaho and crushed them, they'd pretty clearly be ahead of Clemson at this point, so why should you reward Clemson for playing no one (I get they have South Carolina still, but they aren't good this year)?  I don't think it is a given that an unbeaten Clemson will automatically be ahead of a 1 loss Oregon.  It certainly may depend how it goes down the stretch, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Certainly may depend?  Everything depends on how it goes down the stretch.  That's true every year.  A 1-loss Pac-12 champ isn't getting in over an unbeaten Clemson.  Utah lost to a very mediocre Florida team.  UCLA played a dreadful OOC schedule which includes a 1-pt home win against South Alabama.  What's the best OOC win for any Pac-12 team? 

Your 1-loss Big-10 champ OSU team jumping a couple other 1-loss teams isn't at all a comparative scenario.  There would need to be compelling evidence to put a 1-loss Oregon in over an unbeaten Clemson and I don't see it. 

For your scenario to have even a scintilla of a chance, Oregon needs Georgia to win out and be an undefeated SEC champ preferably with substantial wins over Tennessee and Bama. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 01:24:08 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #189 on: October 23, 2022, 02:32:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
TCU and Oregon are ranked #7 and #8 in the new poll. If both teams, or even 1 wins out including their respective Championship Game then that could make things very interesting for the CFP

I will say though. Lets pretend Alabama wins out and beats Georgia/Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game. Would there still be a justification to put Alabama in the CFP ahead of say, unbeaten TCU in that scenario? I mean TCU has also played 4 straight ranked teams in a row and won (including against a Top-10 opponent) and in this scenario would likely have another win over a Top-10 team in the Champ. Game. Meanwhile Alabama has a loss and their only other signature wins are against teams ranked 20 and 24.

We'll see how it plays out I guess. I just fear 1 or possibly even 2 teams could get screwed to allow Alabama and/or Clemson to make it.

« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2022, 08:16:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
TCU and Oregon are ranked #7 and #8 in the new poll. If both teams, or even 1 wins out including their respective Championship Game then that could make things very interesting for the CFP

I will say though. Lets pretend Alabama wins out and beats Georgia/Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game. Would there still be a justification to put Alabama in the CFP ahead of say, unbeaten TCU in that scenario? I mean TCU has also played 4 straight ranked teams in a row and won (including against a Top-10 opponent) and in this scenario would likely have another win over a Top-10 team in the Champ. Game. Meanwhile Alabama has a loss and their only other signature wins are against teams ranked 20 and 24.

We'll see how it plays out I guess. I just fear 1 or possibly even 2 teams could get screwed to allow Alabama and/or Clemson to make it.
the SEC champ is making the playoffs.  The only way it is even a question is if they have multiple losses.

« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2022, 11:11:51 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Is there a reason Ohio State isn't ranked #1 despite seemingly destroying everyone they face?

I mean Alabama and Georgia sort of swapped places due to playing close games here or there but OSU stayed 2 or 3.

I assume the winner of Georgia-Tennessee will be #1 after next week, but then like does Ohio State have any way of being #1? Even if they beat Michigan later in the season I think Ohio State is just stuck at #2 or even #3 lol

« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2022, 05:05:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
If it wins out, Ohio State won't be ahead of an unbeaten SEC champion but will finish 1 in any other scenario. 

« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2022, 06:47:35 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Is there a reason Ohio State isn't ranked #1 despite seemingly destroying everyone they face?

I mean Alabama and Georgia sort of swapped places due to playing close games here or there but OSU stayed 2 or 3.

I assume the winner of Georgia-Tennessee will be #1 after next week, but then like does Ohio State have any way of being #1? Even if they beat Michigan later in the season I think Ohio State is just stuck at #2 or even #3 lol
Because Penn State is the 1st team with a pulse that OSU has played and 5 of their games have been at home.  Georgia destroyed Oregon and Tennessee beat Bama.  Much better wins than OSU has.   

« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2022, 06:49:29 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
#10 Wake Forest is getting pounded by unranked Louisville, and #9 Oklahoma State is getting obliterated by #22 K-State.  #16 Syracuse also suffered a 3-score home loss to unranked Notre Dame.  We should see a lot of poll movement this week after a relatively quiet week last Saturday, in advance of the first BCS rankings on Tuesday, with a few other top-25 teams having lost, currently in trouble, or facing tough matchups tonight.