Author Topic: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp  (Read 21434 times)

Re: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2022, 10:14:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just trying to keep up and make sure I have not missed anything.  We have 12 signed players (including Kornet who is really largely non-guaranteed, only $300,000 until opening night) and up to 3 open slots that could be filled.  Davison and Kabengele are the two ways.  The following players have been invited to camp (or at least mentioned):

Denzel Valentine
Noah Vonleh
Bruno Caboclo
Brodric Thomas
Justin Jackson

Matt Ryan was not invited, Juhann Bergarin is going to stay in France, and Yam Mader will be in Israel.  Do we know for sure that Thomas and Jackson will be in our camp?  Are there any other names that have been reported that I have missed?

I don't think we've seen anything confirming that Thomas or Jackson have agreed to a camp deal or any other contract.

A note for those aware:  we're limited to 20 contracts during the off-season, including training camp.

Good point, my understanding is that this includes two-way contracts.  So right now, we have 12 regular, 3 camp deals (Valentine, Vonleh, Caboclo), and 2 two-way, right?  That is 17 so we could do up to 3 more.  At this point it seems that both players and teams are kind of weighing options, waiting to see.

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2022, 10:31:27 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
With some more hunting, what I found confirms that we have the 3 camp deals (Exhibit-10) in place with Valentine, Vonleh, and Caboclo but no others.  There was also a note that we have a two-way qualifying offer out to Thomas.  Not sure how this works exactly.  I assume that Thomas could still accept this, that the offer is still valid?  But then wouldn't we need to convert either Davison or Kabengele to something else?

NOTE: The Celtics have a two-way qualifying offer out to Brodric Thomas.
Celtics Training Camp Invites: Denzel Valentine (Exhibit-10), Noah Vonleh (Exhibit-10), Bruno Caboclo (Exhibit-10)

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2022, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline litangel

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 7
One thing that isn't being mentioned is that Miami has made a habit of taking the quality of players we are bringing to training camp, and making them useful rotation pieces. Maybe this staff can do the same!

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2022, 06:55:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Would we even be able to sign Harrell?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2022, 11:28:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Would we even be able to sign Harrell?

Why would we want to?

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2022, 01:20:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just trying to keep up and make sure I have not missed anything.  We have 12 signed players (including Kornet who is really largely non-guaranteed, only $300,000 until opening night) and up to 3 open slots that could be filled.  Davison and Kabengele are the two ways.  The following players have been invited to camp (or at least mentioned):

Denzel Valentine
Noah Vonleh
Bruno Caboclo
Brodric Thomas
Justin Jackson

Matt Ryan was not invited, Juhann Bergarin is going to stay in France, and Yam Mader will be in Israel.  Do we know for sure that Thomas and Jackson will be in our camp?  Are there any other names that have been reported that I have missed?

I don't think we've seen anything confirming that Thomas or Jackson have agreed to a camp deal or any other contract.

A note for those aware:  we're limited to 20 contracts during the off-season, including training camp.

Good point, my understanding is that this includes two-way contracts.  So right now, we have 12 regular, 3 camp deals (Valentine, Vonleh, Caboclo), and 2 two-way, right?  That is 17 so we could do up to 3 more.  At this point it seems that both players and teams are kind of weighing options, waiting to see.
As a fan, I don't particularly care for carrying 20 on the camp roster. Unless somebody significant shakes loose, those 3 extras are just "practice players" with no chance to make the roster. I would rather the staff focus on these 17 guys (really 11 through 17) to determine who makes the roster.

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2022, 01:50:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Denzel Valentine
Noah Vonleh
Bruno Caboclo
Brodric Thomas
Justin Jackson

As a fan, I don't particularly care for carrying 20 on the camp roster. Unless somebody significant shakes loose, those 3 extras are just "practice players" with no chance to make the roster. I would rather the staff focus on these 17 guys (really 11 through 17) to determine who makes the roster.

I'd like to see us get better players, and treat some of those already invited as practice players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2022, 02:34:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

Denzel Valentine
Noah Vonleh
Bruno Caboclo
Brodric Thomas
Justin Jackson

I'd like to see us get better players, and treat some of those already invited as practice players.
Yup, exactly what I meant by "somebody significant shakes loose", but frankly I don't see it happening before camp.

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2022, 03:59:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I feel that Vonleh for sure and Valentine probably have a legit chance to win a full roster spot.  Thomas maybe also if he decides to enter the Celtics competition.  Caboclo maybe not so much.  Justin Jackson seems like a long shot also.

No doubt that the Celtics are holding open spots, both regular roster and Exhibit 10, if some other players end up showing interest.

I may be optimistic but I still feel Vonleh will prove to be a decent deep bench player at a legit NBA level.  He would be our 5th big.  I think he can handle that.  I envision Horford (and RWill of course) playing more C and Gallinari and Grant playing regular PF minutes.  Vonleh then only needs to fill in.

Hauser right now would slot as the back up to Tatum as a forward/wing/SF (whatever you want to call it).  It would be nice to have a more established vet for that role.  I think we can get by with Tatum, Brown, Brogdon, White covering that but only one of those is really a forward (Tatum).  It would be nice to have another true forward option beyond Hauser who can play as a wing.

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2022, 03:21:56 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Brown and Tatum are natural SFs, but forced to play other "positions" since we play positionless basketball. Not sure if that was part of the consideration for this sub-par article.
I don't think it was in the original article, but it's very relevant to the recent discussion. Last year our starting "PF" was our backup "C" and our starting "SG" was our backup "SF"

If the C's were fully healthy they could have a rotation like;
Smart 32, White 16
Brown 16, Brogdon 32
Tatum 32, Brown 16
G. Williams 24, Gallanari 24
GWIII 24, Horford 24

With Pritchard, Kornet, Houser, Thomas, Davison, Kabengele, Vonleh, and Caboclo 
It's position-less but Pritchard isn't going to replace GWII.

I pasted this over from another thread that had drifted off topic.  The discussion became more about the rotation and the final roster spots so I thought I would try and pick it up in this thread.

I think the 9 person rotation that Grogan shows is spot on.  This is exactly what I expect to see, plus or minus a few minutes here and there.  The point is that this rotation 1-9 is rock solid.  If you consider Pritchard as the 10th, that is very solid too and he is guard insurance, not even needed in the regular rotation.  No team is going to have a better 5th guard than Pritchard.  The 6th guard (if they fill this, this may be the slot they leave open) is probably going to be a glorified G-Leaguer like say Brodric Thomas or Denzel Valentine and that is fine.

In the bigs, we have 4 solid bigs and Kornet right now.  I don't know if the Celtics see Kornet as an actual viable 3rd center, they may, or he could just be keeping a slot warm with the hope that a more established vet becomes available.  I actually think Vonleh is going to be better than Kornet.  The good news is that both have actual NBA resumes.  Vonleh is about 5/5 in 339 NBA games, Kornet is 5.5/2.5 in 148 NBA games.  You could do worse with your 5th and 6th bigs.  Vonleh as a PF/C and Kornet as a C/PF.

If we carry 5-6 guards and 5-6 bigs, that would mean we would need 3 SFs to give us 14 or 15 total.  Right now we have Tatum and Hauser.  Not sure that Bruno Caboclo is the right guy for that slot but maybe.  To me, this slot is the most in question and the biggest need.

Smart       White       Pritchard
Brown      Brogdon    Thomas(?)
Tatum      Vet (?)       Hauser
Gallinari    Grant       Vonleh(?)
RWill        Horford     Kornet(?)

I can live with that if we actually do find that vet SF.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 03:50:28 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2022, 04:59:18 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Caboclo is a better player than Vonleh; his athleticism, length, and defensive versatility as a Big make him perfect for this system too. In his first NBA stint, he looked like a raw 3/4, now he looks like a polished 4/5.

His recent FIBA and SL gameplay convinced me that not only will he stick on the roster, he has a shot at signing a minimum extension. The Celtics got a steal.

Including him, Pritchard, and Hauser that’s 12; Davison and Kabengele’s two ways don’t count toward the 15. Thomas, Valentine, and Kornet are poised to round out the roster.

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
First day of training camp is?

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2022, 07:39:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Caboclo is a better player than Vonleh; his athleticism, length, and defensive versatility as a Big make him perfect for this system too. In his first NBA stint, he looked like a raw 3/4, now he looks like a polished 4/5.

His recent FIBA and SL gameplay convinced me that not only will he stick on the roster, he has a shot at signing a minimum extension. The Celtics got a steal.

Including him, Pritchard, and Hauser that’s 12; Davison and Kabengele’s two ways don’t count toward the 15. Thomas, Valentine, and Kornet are poised to round out the roster.

I hope you are right about Caboclo.

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2022, 12:50:16 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2022, 08:20:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
I feel that Vonleh for sure and Valentine probably have a legit chance to win a full roster spot.  Thomas maybe also if he decides to enter the Celtics competition.  Caboclo maybe not so much.  Justin Jackson seems like a long shot also.

No doubt that the Celtics are holding open spots, both regular roster and Exhibit 10, if some other players end up showing interest.

I may be optimistic but I still feel Vonleh will prove to be a decent deep bench player at a legit NBA level.  He would be our 5th big.  I think he can handle that.  I envision Horford (and RWill of course) playing more C and Gallinari and Grant playing regular PF minutes.  Vonleh then only needs to fill in.

Hauser right now would slot as the back up to Tatum as a forward/wing/SF (whatever you want to call it).  It would be nice to have a more established vet for that role.  I think we can get by with Tatum, Brown, Brogdon, White covering that but only one of those is really a forward (Tatum).  It would be nice to have another true forward option beyond Hauser who can play as a wing.
I like Vonleh over Kornet in that 5th big role.

I think Valentine can make the roster and compete favorably with Hauser for the back-up to Tatum.