Author Topic: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp  (Read 21443 times)

Re: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2022, 08:59:32 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Now we need some former first rounders from 2013-2016 to find a wing.  Who do we like?

Knowing nothing about him, I’ve sold myself on Rashad Vaughn.  6’5”, #17 overall in 2015, turns 26 in two weeks.  Shot 42% from 3 on over 5 attempts a game in Greece this spring.

Anyone else?

How about cult favorite Harry Giles? Or is he more of a big than a wing?

JT would co sign
- LilRip

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2022, 09:02:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Now we need some former first rounders from 2013-2016 to find a wing.  Who do we like?

Knowing nothing about him, I’ve sold myself on Rashad Vaughn.  6’5”, #17 overall in 2015, turns 26 in two weeks.  Shot 42% from 3 on over 5 attempts a game in Greece this spring.

Anyone else?

JT would co sign

I don’t think even Tatum would support Giles playing wing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2022, 02:02:31 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
As far as skill set goes, I see Dwight Howard being a huge plus for this team. We need interior size, rebounding and someone with a mean streak - that is Howard. I completely agree about Brad not wanting any disruptive personalities on the team, but I thought Howard had left his attitude days behind him and was content to be a contributor.

He helped the Lakers win their bubble title and last season, just did not get enough minutes to be productive. I know he had the incident with Davis last year during a timeout, but he was probably telling Davis to quit being a soft jump shooter and to go inside and mix it up.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2022, 08:04:53 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Anyone else?

JT would co sign

I think Vonleh is this year's reclamation project.

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2022, 08:11:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Anyone else?

JT would co sign

He's probably got the best defensive track record of the various scrubs we're bringing in.

The question is, can we count on a reclamation project to also be our backup center in a season when Horford is reportedly going to be aggressively "load managed"?

The answer isn't automatically "no".  I mean, our 2008 title team relied heavily (at times) on Big Baby, a second rounder, who we probably would have considered a scrub who couldn't be counted on.  So, I hope it succeeds.  I liked Vonleh a lot in the draft, and he's got some defensive talent.  I hope it works out for him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Anyone else?

JT would co sign

He's probably got the best defensive track record of the various scrubs we're bringing in.

The question is, can we count on a reclamation project to also be our backup center in a season when Horford is reportedly going to be aggressively "load managed"?

The answer isn't automatically "no".  I mean, our 2008 title team relied heavily (at times) on Big Baby, a second rounder, who we probably would have considered a scrub who couldn't be counted on.  So, I hope it succeeds.  I liked Vonleh a lot in the draft, and he's got some defensive talent.  I hope it works out for him.

Fun thing (and also somewhat sad as Moranis has pointed out) is that we don't even know if these random bigs (Vonleh, Bruno) are as good as Kornet - in terms of fit, and in terms of their talent.

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2022, 10:40:30 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Anyone else?

JT would co sign

Fun thing (and also somewhat sad as Moranis has pointed out) is that we don't even know if these random bigs (Vonleh, Bruno) are as good as Kornet - in terms of fit, and in terms of their talent.
Well that certainly brings us full circle on this thread: We will find out in training camp.  Heck, Vonleh and/or Bruno could make the roster without cutting Kornet.

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2022, 10:49:14 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Anyone else?

JT would co sign

This pretty much exactly.  No one knows what Vonleh is going to give us but it is probably not all that much more or all that much less then what he did on the Knicks a few years back.  It is more about if he is going to accept that that is what he is in the NBA, a D&D Big (defense and dunks) and understand that if he wants to be in the NBA, that is who he needs to be.

At this point, I doubt we sign one of these FA bigs.  If there was mutual interest, it would be done already.  We may get a slug of players coming available as teams finalize their roster.  There is some chance we pick up someone through that (either as a TPE trade or a clear waivers and sign to a vet min).  But more likely, we start the season with the bigs we have.

One scenario that I keep thinking is that we could start Gallinari at PF'ish big with RWill as the C'ish big.  Then Horford could back up the C spot and GWill back up the PF spot.  That relegates Vonleh and Kornet to "emergency" big status.  Vonleh is probably going to be fine to fill in with a bigger role here and there if Horford or RWill is rested.  If there is an injury to keep any of the bigs out for any length of time, we will need to do something.  But there is not really a pressing need to do something right now.

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2022, 06:02:04 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Hope there is a strong buyout market this season…

Yeah.  Is some fairy tale dream season, we've got the #1 record in February, and Derrick Favors and Josh Richardson are looking for a ring.
I'd bet the season starts with at least one of the 3 spots left open for just this reason.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2022, 06:08:18 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Yeah.  Is some fairy tale dream season, we've got the #1 record in February, and Derrick Favors and Josh Richardson are looking for a ring.
I'd bet the season starts with at least one of the 3 spots left open for just this reason.

I wouldn’t bet that.  I do expect that one or more players will not be guaranteed past the January deadline, so they can cut a guy (or two) and have an opening for a buyout later.  That way they don’t have to go through the year with only 14 on the roster.  So maybe 14 guys for the five weeks between the guarantee date and the All-Star break, but not all year.

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2022, 07:56:55 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I wouldn’t bet that.  I do expect that one or more players will not be guaranteed past the January deadline, so they can cut a guy (or two) and have an opening for a buyout later.  That way they don’t have to go through the year with only 14 on the roster.  So maybe 14 guys for the five weeks between the guarantee date and the All-Star break, but not all year.

I don't think whether we start with 14 or 15 matters all that much.  Does it really matter if Bruno Caboclo is cut or signed to a largely non-guaranteed contract (for example)?  I guess if he is signed and non-guaranteed, he could potentially be used in a trade but if the idea is to leave a spot open to sign someone who is released, it would not be an issue to cut him to make room when we need to.  And those last couple of roster spots are not going to impact the outcome of any games.

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2022, 01:27:13 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Adam Himmelsbach: According to a league source, Celtics 2021 second-round draft pick Juhann Begarin will return to Paris this season to continue his development in France’s top league, LNB Pro A. Begarin, who turned 20 last week, had a strong showing in Vegas. – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

Makes sense.  He isn't quite ready but still a good prospect.

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2022, 01:51:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Adam Himmelsbach: According to a league source, Celtics 2021 second-round draft pick Juhann Begarin will return to Paris this season to continue his development in France’s top league, LNB Pro A. Begarin, who turned 20 last week, had a strong showing in Vegas. – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

Makes sense.  He isn't quite ready but still a good prospect.
good news in the sense that he looked better this summer than last but showed he still needs a lot more seasoning and isn't ready to contribute in a game even from the end of the bench.  another year with him still under team control but at no financial or roster cost

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2022, 09:59:49 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Just trying to keep up and make sure I have not missed anything.  We have 12 signed players (including Kornet who is really largely non-guaranteed, only $300,000 until opening night) and up to 3 open slots that could be filled.  Davison and Kabengele are the two ways.  The following players have been invited to camp (or at least mentioned):

Denzel Valentine
Noah Vonleh
Bruno Caboclo
Brodric Thomas
Justin Jackson

Matt Ryan was not invited, Juhann Bergarin is going to stay in France, and Yam Mader will be in Israel.  Do we know for sure that Thomas and Jackson will be in our camp?  Are there any other names that have been reported that I have missed?

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2022, 10:05:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Just trying to keep up and make sure I have not missed anything.  We have 12 signed players (including Kornet who is really largely non-guaranteed, only $300,000 until opening night) and up to 3 open slots that could be filled.  Davison and Kabengele are the two ways.  The following players have been invited to camp (or at least mentioned):

Denzel Valentine
Noah Vonleh
Bruno Caboclo
Brodric Thomas
Justin Jackson

Matt Ryan was not invited, Juhann Bergarin is going to stay in France, and Yam Mader will be in Israel.  Do we know for sure that Thomas and Jackson will be in our camp?  Are there any other names that have been reported that I have missed?

I don't think we've seen anything confirming that Thomas or Jackson have agreed to a camp deal or any other contract.

A note for those aware:  we're limited to 20 contracts during the off-season, including training camp.