Author Topic: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp  (Read 21435 times)

Re: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2022, 03:15:31 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
John Karalis:  It's only day 1, but Luke Kornet is in with the starting group

Not only would it be an awesome surprise if Kornet shows something on the regular and seriously helps this team, but it's going to once again be interesting to see who comes out and admits they were dead wrong about a Celtic bench player being pure garbage for two years in a row.
If Kornet  gives us more than Freedom for the first 50 games, I will be surprised and take my medicine.If he gives us more than Theis in the last 30 I'll be too shocked to respond.

« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2022, 03:47:56 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

To clarify, I assume that means that when they have an intrasquad scrimmage he’s playing on the same team as the starters, and not that he, in fact, was starting.

« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2022, 04:55:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

To clarify, I assume that means that when they have an intrasquad scrimmage he’s playing on the same team as the starters, and not that he, in fact, was starting.

He was green shirting with the other starters from last season, running plays with them.  Makes sense, if we want to maintain a two big starting lineup. He is the closest replica to Rob Williams on current roster other than new guys like Kabengele.  Wouldn't shock me if he ended up starting until Rob comes back.

« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2022, 05:04:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

He was green shirting with the other starters from last season, running plays with them.  Makes sense, if we want to maintain a two big starting lineup. He is the closest replica to Rob Williams on current roster other than new guys like Kabengele.  Wouldn't shock me if he ended up starting until Rob comes back.

I don't think we'll run a 2-big starting lineup unless it's Grant/Al.  But I'd expect Kornet to wear a green shirt, because until someone passes him, he's solidly in the rotation.

« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2022, 05:30:32 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

Not only would it be an awesome surprise if Kornet shows something on the regular and seriously helps this team, but it's going to once again be interesting to see who comes out and admits they were dead wrong about a Celtic bench player being pure garbage for two years in a row.

Ya. He’s garbage. It’s not like we haven’t seen him play before. He was on our playoff roster when Time Lord was gimpy and didn’t get any meaningful minutes. Now, we are supposed to think there’s a high chance of him turning things around? Take off the green glasses. Brad laid an egg this off-season with big man depth.

« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2022, 05:35:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, I agree.  We’re supposed to believe that Kornet went from being not good enough to have a spot in the rotation to being a starting-quality center?

He’s a victory cigar, and he’s fine if you want that as your 15th man.  He’s not a rotation player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2022, 05:43:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I don't think we'll run a 2-big starting lineup unless it's Grant/Al.  But I'd expect Kornet to wear a green shirt, because until someone passes him, he's solidly in the rotation.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/luke-kornet-celtics-starting-center-195300413.html

« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2022, 05:45:35 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/luke-kornet-celtics-starting-center-195300413.html

I mean, sure, they'll try it in a practice, but we know how it's going to go.

« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2022, 10:21:46 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Yeah, I agree.  We’re supposed to believe that Kornet went from being not good enough to have a spot in the rotation to being a starting-quality center?

He’s a victory cigar, and he’s fine if you want that as your 15th man.  He’s not a rotation player.

well playing devil's advocate here, didn't Daniel Theis give us a lot of good minutes during the regular season (and started), and then was basically shut out a lot during the playoffs as well?  Theis went from starter earlier in the season to a lot of DNP during the playoffs.  I am not saying Kornet is good, but maybe Kornet doesn't have to be that good to fill in for timelord earlier in the season, if it helps maintain the rest of our rotation.  Kornet will get a lot of WIDE open looks.  If he can play 20 min a game 6-8 points 5-6 rebounds is that good enough for us until Timelord comes back?  I imagine the bar wouldn't be higher than that.

Maybe the extra experience helps Kornet get a little bit of run during the regular season?  just trying for some positive spin to Kornet being the starter.

« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2022, 10:50:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

well playing devil's advocate here, didn't Daniel Theis give us a lot of good minutes during the regular season (and started), and then was basically shut out a lot during the playoffs as well?  Theis went from starter earlier in the season to a lot of DNP during the playoffs.  I am not saying Kornet is good, but maybe Kornet doesn't have to be that good to fill in for timelord earlier in the season, if it helps maintain the rest of our rotation.  Kornet will get a lot of WIDE open looks.  If he can play 20 min a game 6-8 points 5-6 rebounds is that good enough for us until Timelord comes back?  I imagine the bar wouldn't be higher than that.

Maybe the extra experience helps Kornet get a little bit of run during the regular season?  just trying for some positive spin to Kornet being the starter.
it's on the defensive end where we'll really get killed when he's in the game

« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2022, 05:24:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I don't think we saw enough of Kornet to know whether he's any good or not.

Obviously the fact that he couldn't break into the rotation isn't a good look but Ime was keeping things pretty tight last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kornet had more than what we've seen from him thus far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2022, 08:10:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I don't think we saw enough of Kornet to know whether he's any good or not.

Obviously the fact that he couldn't break into the rotation isn't a good look but Ime was keeping things pretty tight last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kornet had more than what we've seen from him thus far.

I mean, he's been in the NBA five seasons.  He's played for the Knicks, Bulls, Cavs and Bucks, all of whom moved on from him (in some cases, very quickly).  Last year, he spent most of the season in the G-League.

He's, at best, a fringe NBA player.  Reportedly he's a very nice guy and is good in the locker room, but it's not like the light bulb is suddenly going to go on age 27.  What he brings is poor shooting, poor scoring, poor rebounding and passable pick-and-roll defense for a seven footer.

Starting him and refusing to bring in better players is an absolute insult to the other players on the team, who deserve the best chance to succeed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2022, 10:21:40 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I just don’t see anything that Kornet can give them as a regular rotation player or a player off the bench. He’s g league level. Frankly he sucks.

I mean now they start him? Give me a break. He is going to get torched. I really wish he wasn’t on this team or would do us all a favor and quit. Can’t stand him and watching him play is embarrassing.

He’s 27 and has shown ZERO while in the league. All of sudden he is worthy of real minutes?

I’d rather play Tatum at the 4 and brogdan start than see Kornet meander around the court, miss shots, get pushed around and lumber up and down the court.

Combine Kornet getting rotation minutes as well as Hauser and that spells disaster. Both are just not good enough for a championship contender.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:27:35 AM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2022, 10:29:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I just don’t see anything that Kornet can give them as a regular rotation player or a player off the bench. He’s g league level. Frankly he sucks.

I mean now they start him? Give me a break. He is going to get torched. I really wish he wasn’t on this team or would do us all a favor and quit. Can’t stand him and watching him play is embarrassing.

He’s 27 and has shown ZERO while in the league. All of sudden he is worthy of real minutes?

I’d rather play Tatum at the 4 and brogdan start than see Kornet meander around the court, miss shots, get pushed around and lumber up and down the court.

Yeah.  If we want outside shooting from our center, you compare him to a guy like Boogie.  The only area Kornet might be slightly better is pick-and-roll defense.  Cousins is a better scorer, passer, shooter, rim protector, each by a wide margin.  And, Boogie just showed out against the Warriors in the playoffs.

And, if you want a defender, rim-runner and rebounder, he's greatly exceeded by Whiteside and Howard (although I never will truly embrace Howard, as I think he's a clown.)

Kornet fills the "good guy on the bench" role, but actually playing basketball?  I don't see it.

« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2022, 10:38:08 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Yeah.  If we want outside shooting from our center, you compare him to a guy like Boogie.  The only area Kornet might be slightly better is pick-and-roll defense.  Cousins is a better scorer, passer, shooter, rim protector, each by a wide margin.  And, Boogie just showed out against the Warriors in the playoffs.

And, if you want a defender, rim-runner and rebounder, he's greatly exceeded by Whiteside and Howard (although I never will truly embrace Howard, as I think he's a clown.)

Kornet fills the "good guy on the bench" role, but actually playing basketball?  I don't see it.

Never understood why Brad didn’t bring in boogie. And I don’t want to hear about the lockerroom.