Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 59347 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2022, 11:56:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yeah, I don't think the Celts are shopping Brown.  I believe that they assumed that Brooklyn was serious about trading KD, so they made a substantial offer.  When Brad got blown off (reportedly), he moved on.  And, as far as we know, that's the one and only time Brown's name has been mentioned by the Celtics as being available for the right return.

There are conflicting narratives, about the Celtics either being in hot pursuit of Durant or about the Celtics just casually doing due diligence.  I suspect that Brown was put on the table in a serious manner, but talks quickly ended because the Nets weren't serious sellers. 

As for "does it matter"...  Not very much right now, for everybody except for Jaylen.  For him, the question of "did the Celtics offer me or did the Nets ask for me" may hold some importance.  Ultimately, if he performs and gets his max / supermax contract, it will hopefully just be an interesting side note he can tell his grandkids.  But, if the season goes sideways, maybe it turns into a grudge.  It's impossible to know, but I think in most scenarios, JB can live with the fact that he was offered for an all-time great still performing like a star.

Interesting that the Celtics apparently made Brown available, but (i) Raptors did not make Scottie Barnes available, (ii) Pels did not make Ingram available, (iii) Heat did not make Bam available (although that is a Simmons issue, maybe).

Wouldn't blame Jaylen for feeling a little disrespected by Brad.  The "it's Kevin freaking Durant" response doesn't really add up when you see what other GMs are willing/unwilling to offer up.  I'm kind of surprised the Pels wouldn't offer up Ingram, who is about the same level of player of Brown IMO.

« Reply #646 on: August 22, 2022, 12:04:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The "it's Kevin freaking Durant" response doesn't really add up when you see what other GMs are willing/unwilling to offer up.  I'm kind of surprised the Pels wouldn't offer up Ingram, who is about the same level of player of Brown IMO.

I think the difference is that the Celtics would presumably be a first-class contender if Durant was here.  New Orleans and Toronto are farther away, particularly after surrendering the required pieces.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #647 on: August 22, 2022, 12:06:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1% or less ...

5.  Boston

I'd arbitrarily say higher than 1%, because there's always the possibility that Durant really insists on being traded, the Nets give in, and Boston has the best reported offer.

But, I agree with you that the most likely scenario, by far, seems to be Durant staying in Brooklyn, at least until the season starts.  Once we get to January 15, if Durant still wants to be moved maybe the Suns revisit Ayton + Bridges + picks.

Instead of trading Brown + White + #1 for Durant, I hope that we look elsewhere if we make an in-season trade.  Like, White + #1 for Harrison Barnes.  That may be an overpay, but in terms of a net acquisition, I'd much rather have Brown + Barnes than Durant.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #648 on: August 22, 2022, 12:22:21 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The "it's Kevin freaking Durant" response doesn't really add up when you see what other GMs are willing/unwilling to offer up.  I'm kind of surprised the Pels wouldn't offer up Ingram, who is about the same level of player of Brown IMO.

I think the difference is that the Celtics would presumably be a first-class contender if Durant was here.  New Orleans and Toronto are farther away, particularly after surrendering the required pieces.

New Orleans is further away in a sense, but they also have a strong roster and have the biggest arsenal of readily usable assets in the league. They were 36-46 last year without Zion and mostly before CJ McCollum, and finished with a flourish. They have a lot of young talent besides their stars and they have 9 1st round picks through 2026.

If Durant and some creative reorg can't get you over the top with that, then what is everybody all worked up about Durant for?

« Reply #649 on: August 22, 2022, 12:37:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Quote from: Adam Himmelsbach
“League sources have insisted for weeks that the Celtics have not had any real discussions of substance with the Nets about Durant, and they’ve communicated with Brown about the situation frequently
Pretty much what I have been saying from the very start. I know you put a ton of stock in those Woj and Shams reports but they always seemed very suspect to me as it was obvious it was a Net leak looking to enhance Nets goals and weaken Boston's or any other team's goals.

I never bought Brad did anything but make some off the cuff discussion to gauge Nets desire of return on the trade and that's it. That nothing was ever serious and that JB was kept in touch of this all along. The reports out of Brooklyn just made no sense given Boston is just a Dwight Howard type signing away from being the clear favorite going into the season.

I think Himmelsbach is much less reliable than Woj and Shams.
Usually, I agree, but I think this report by Himmelsbach just makes more sense. Shams and Woj can be wrong and looks like they were used on this one.

More likely Shams and Woj talking to Nets management and agents, Himmelsbach to Celtics FO. Best guess. Would explain discrepancies. They all have agendas. But I don’t doubt early report that Cs offered Brown and White and pick. Don’t like it but don’t doubt it.

« Reply #650 on: August 22, 2022, 12:52:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yeah, I don't think the Celts are shopping Brown.  I believe that they assumed that Brooklyn was serious about trading KD, so they made a substantial offer.  When Brad got blown off (reportedly), he moved on.  And, as far as we know, that's the one and only time Brown's name has been mentioned by the Celtics as being available for the right return.

There are conflicting narratives, about the Celtics either being in hot pursuit of Durant or about the Celtics just casually doing due diligence.  I suspect that Brown was put on the table in a serious manner, but talks quickly ended because the Nets weren't serious sellers. 

As for "does it matter"...  Not very much right now, for everybody except for Jaylen.  For him, the question of "did the Celtics offer me or did the Nets ask for me" may hold some importance.  Ultimately, if he performs and gets his max / supermax contract, it will hopefully just be an interesting side note he can tell his grandkids.  But, if the season goes sideways, maybe it turns into a grudge.  It's impossible to know, but I think in most scenarios, JB can live with the fact that he was offered for an all-time great still performing like a star.

Interesting that the Celtics apparently made Brown available, but (i) Raptors did not make Scottie Barnes available, (ii) Pels did not make Ingram available, (iii) Heat did not make Bam available (although that is a Simmons issue, maybe).

Wouldn't blame Jaylen for feeling a little disrespected by Brad.  The "it's Kevin freaking Durant" response doesn't really add up when you see what other GMs are willing/unwilling to offer up.  I'm kind of surprised the Pels wouldn't offer up Ingram, who is about the same level of player of Brown IMO.
Some of that could just be how the calls went.  I have absolutely no doubt that if Nets called the Pelicans and said it was basically Ingram and 4 or 5 1st's, then Durant would be a Pelican.  But if you see some of these reports and the Nets said, yeah we want Ingram, Williamson, and 3 1st's, then it is pretty easy to see why New Orleans told them to get bent without ever "offering" Ingram.  That is probably the same in Toronto and to a lesser degree Miami (though Bam and Simmons can't be on the Nets together so that complicates that). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #651 on: August 22, 2022, 02:03:08 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
1% or less ...

5.  Boston

I'd arbitrarily say higher than 1%, because there's always the possibility that Durant really insists on being traded, the Nets give in, and Boston has the best reported offer.

But, I agree with you that the most likely scenario, by far, seems to be Durant staying in Brooklyn, at least until the season starts.  Once we get to January 15, if Durant still wants to be moved maybe the Suns revisit Ayton + Bridges + picks.

Instead of trading Brown + White + #1 for Durant, I hope that we look elsewhere if we make an in-season trade.  Like, White + #1 for Harrison Barnes. That may be an overpay, but in terms of a net acquisition, I'd much rather have Brown + Barnes than Durant.

I would be intrigued by that trade.  Barnes could be our back up to Tatum at Forward/Wing, someone who can defend true SFs while being a true scoring threat.  And also able to provide some versatility to play as a PF/Swing in other line ups.  Fits more of a need than what White gives us now that we have Brogdon (and as long as Brogdon is healthy). 

Not sure how much sense it makes for SAC.  Unless they would plan to start Huerter at SF and White at SG.  Barnes slots as their main wing right now and probably their #2 scorer.  Not sure a late Celtics first makes up for that.

« Reply #652 on: August 22, 2022, 02:17:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

New Orleans is further away in a sense, but they also have a strong roster and have the biggest arsenal of readily usable assets in the league. They were 36-46 last year without Zion and mostly before CJ McCollum, and finished with a flourish. They have a lot of young talent besides their stars and they have 9 1st round picks through 2026.

If Durant and some creative reorg can't get you over the top with that, then what is everybody all worked up about Durant for?

I agree with this.  NOP would be essentially resetting with Durant, Williamson, and McCollum.  You have to make the assumption that Williamson is healthy but if he is, that is a great core.  Plus they have Valanciunas who would be the perfect vet big to go with that line up.  They have to give up Ingram likely but then just interchangeable young players to match salary.  Then a bunch of picks.  I think that is the best package.

I have not let go of Davis and Westbrook (plus 2 picks) for Kyrie and Durant.  That isn't going to happen in the off season or it probably would have already but if both teams stink through Jan (a real possibility)? 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 02:28:11 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #653 on: August 22, 2022, 02:59:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Some of that could just be how the calls went.  I have absolutely no doubt that if Nets called the Pelicans and said it was basically Ingram and 4 or 5 1st's, then Durant would be a Pelican.  But if you see some of these reports and the Nets said, yeah we want Ingram, Williamson, and 3 1st's, then it is pretty easy to see why New Orleans told them to get bent without ever "offering" Ingram.  That is probably the same in Toronto and to a lesser degree Miami (though Bam and Simmons can't be on the Nets together so that complicates that).

Shams reported that they would not make Ingram available in KD trade. Zion wasn’t mentioned.

« Reply #654 on: August 22, 2022, 03:27:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Shams reported that they would not make Ingram available in KD trade. Zion wasn’t mentioned.
Again, if you are dealing with a team being unreasonable you shouldn't be reasonable.  If the Nets would take Ingram and 4 1st's, Durant would be a Pelican, but there is no reason for the Pelicans to say Ingram is on the table until the Nets are reasonable

« Reply #655 on: August 22, 2022, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Hawks reportedly offered Collins, Hunter, and a 1st for Durant.

« Reply #656 on: August 22, 2022, 03:36:09 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hawks reportedly offered Collins, Hunter, and a 1st for Durant.
Throw in Double O and another first
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #657 on: August 23, 2022, 11:39:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Durant just rescinded his trade demand after meeting with Nash and Marks. Per Shams.

« Reply #658 on: August 23, 2022, 11:41:30 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
In the end, Kevin Durant and the Nets played out in a similar way to Kobe Bryant and the Lakers in 2007: A tumultuous summer after a trade request, talks with teams, no deal and ultimately a decision to return to the franchise.

Good. They can keep him! :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.