Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 59337 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #570 on: August 13, 2022, 12:03:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Grant Williams said he has been in contact with Brown since the rumors began gaining steam this summer. “It’s a significant rumor,” said Williams who added, “It’s something you want to take for a grain of salt. I feel like JB is mature in his mindset; he knows that. I’ve talked to him, texted him…it’s one of those things, this league is a business. It’s one of those things you can’t be discouraged by.”

When Grant was a rookie I thought that he might come on a bit strong and that his personality might be annoying to older players.  At this point I think Grant is a guy you really want on your team.  A glue human who is smart, cares about teammates, stays positive and works hard.  It will not surprise me if Grant takes another solid step forward as a player this year.

Maybe it’s just my poor eyesight ,  but did you see him in his Kids Basketball camp video ?  Looked a bit pudgy to me .
Feel his playoff role has made go back to his first year belief of keeping weight up. Wished he kept working to be a SF more than a PF.

« Reply #571 on: August 13, 2022, 12:09:21 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
I typically live by the “when someone shows you they are, believe them” mantra. The Nets didn’t believe what they saw and it happened again. I personally can’t believe there is someone on a Celtics fan board that believe that Kyrie can give 1 good of anything after living through it once and then watching with popcorn the second time. He’s a parasite to any organization.

Agreed entirely. Have seen some unconfirmed reports that Kyrie wants his next contract to ensure that he doesn't have to play back to backs or more than 60 games per season. While I'm typically on the side of the employee rather than the employer, I doubt he'll want his contract pro-rated to that extent.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #572 on: August 13, 2022, 12:28:05 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Lol, yeah... he still thinks that he’s the #1 player in the history of basketball and the rest of the league wants to have nothing to do with him. He may get 0 max offers next contracts. I say may because I will never count out a desperate team to try it.

Employees should be taken care of... but he is not the median nor the average employee. He’s the guy who calls in sick every other day. Companies sometimes need to let go of brilliant but toxic employees for the greater good. He’s gotten this much so far because he’s absolutely brilliant. I think the toxicity crossed a big line last year.

« Reply #573 on: August 13, 2022, 02:18:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I had a horrible dream we traded JB for Durant and I woke up so mad.  >:(

« Reply #574 on: August 13, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think the energy among Celtic fans (sorry, JB) is starting to shift toward becoming more intrigued, supportive of JB KD trade.  Anyone else sensing this, or is it just me?

I've gone from adamantly opposed, to being on the fence, partly because I'm not convinced our team as currently constructed has the offensive structure to win it all.

« Reply #575 on: August 13, 2022, 05:20:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think the energy among Celtic fans (sorry, JB) is starting to shift toward becoming more intrigued, supportive of JB KD trade.  Anyone else sensing this, or is it just me?

I've gone from adamantly opposed, to being on the fence, partly because I'm not convinced our team as currently constructed has the offensive structure to win it all.

I’ve gone the opposite.  Started with not wanting the trade but pretty excited about getting KD if the trade was going to happen. 

I’m much more on board now with keeping JB.  Like I’ve said earlier it won’t take more than 8 seconds for me to shift if the trade happens, but I really much rather it didn’t. And I’ve sensed it moving more in the direction of most people wanting no trade.

« Reply #576 on: August 13, 2022, 05:21:26 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I’m either way right now..if it happens, great but if it don’t, that’s great also
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #577 on: August 13, 2022, 06:15:03 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I typically live by the “when someone shows you they are, believe them” mantra. The Nets didn’t believe what they saw and it happened again. I personally can’t believe there is someone on a Celtics fan board that believe that Kyrie can give 1 good of anything after living through it once and then watching with popcorn the second time. He’s a parasite to any organization.

A lot of folks on this board refused to accept what they were seeing when Kyrie Irving was here in Boston, along with the GM.
He convinced me he was a problem when he chose not to travel back to Boston and be on the bench to support his teammates during the 2018 ECF vs Cleveland, especially game 7. Pathetically, Danny Ainge made some lame joke excuse for Irving's absence post-game.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #578 on: August 13, 2022, 06:42:27 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
Some fans have the perspective that this trade/no trade circumstance is a win-win for the Celtics ...... that there are only positive outcomes either way Celts management decides to go.

I'd say nothing is further from the truth. There are many possible/probable outcomes to trading for Kevin Durant, one is good and unlikely and several are bad and more likely to be the result of breaking up this group of mostly home-grown players.

If you think that shipping Jaylen Brown, along with a key bench contributor, out for a hired gun is not going to cast a negative pall on the locker room, you are ignoring the importance of team chemistry, which has been a huge part of this team's success. The remaining core will lose some of their us-against-the-world mentality they currently possess. I think these guys are a very hungry group who have been closer and closer to a title since they were drafted and want badly to take that last step and bring home banner #18. For them to accomplish that for themselves and for the Celtics storied tradition and for this fan base would have a lot of meaning for this group.

The other negatives have been widely discussed, those being Kevin Durant's fragile ego and strong tendency to become discontent with whatever team he is currently playing for. He is also easily led by the worst of influences, one being that idiot Kyrie Irving.

The Celts franchise has fought through so much adversity during this current rebuild to finally have a championship caliber team with very good chemistry, it would be heartbreaking to destroy this team by repeating the past mistake of chasing a superstar headcase.

« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2022, 07:15:35 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Lol, yeah... he still thinks that he’s the #1 player in the history of basketball and the rest of the league wants to have nothing to do with him. He may get 0 max offers next contracts. I say may because I will never count out a desperate team to try it.

Employees should be taken care of... but he is not the median nor the average employee. He’s the guy who calls in sick every other day. Companies sometimes need to let go of brilliant but toxic employees for the greater good. He’s gotten this much so far because he’s absolutely brilliant. I think the toxicity crossed a big line last year.

The comparison to "normal" employees falls short

He's more like one of the best traders at Wall Street, or a star lawyer at a top law firm, just people who are good at their job in competitive fields

Yes he calls in sick every other day, and him parading around the office and flaunting his supermodel girlfriends and expensive booze raises some eyebrows.

But [dang] does he win cases.

Multiply that by several hundred. And add to that the fact that the NBA as a business moves several times faster than these already fast paced environments. There's also no good comparison of a championship to these relatively "normal" workplaces - KD basically brings you that much closer to a couple championships.

That said, while I felt initially that they really have to think about the JB + white + first for KD (because KD is just that good, and that deal essentially amounts to JB straight up for KD), I'm now leaning quite heavily towards not doing anything centered around JB for KD...guess I should have expected this much drama out of KD anyway given his past, but this is another level  of drama

« Reply #580 on: August 14, 2022, 06:27:30 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
Just listened to a recent Cedric Maxwell podcast and was surprised by his comments regarding the Brown/Durant trade question.

While he believed the Celtics would remain strong title contenders leaving the team intact with Brown staying put and with the additions of Brogdon and Gallanari, he was in favor of making the trade for Durant, believing the addition would make the Celtics title favorites for the next 3 - 4 seasons. Max even expressed some mild disdain for the fans' emotional attachment to Jaylen Brown and their concern that the rumors may have hurt Jaylen and could affect his play this upcoming season. He urged Brown to understand the business side of the game and to handle this with professionalism and maturity.

I realize that Max has, at times, carried a chip on his shoulder ever since Larry Bird became the Darling of Boston while reducing Cedric's scoring and rebounding numbers. Max failed to get the credit he deserved for essentially carrying the team on his back during the '81 ECF bloodbath vs Philly. He led that team through their own valley of death (Philly's Spectrum) during the crucial game 6 win that saw Max fearlessly dive into the stands after an abusive fan. Then he outrebounds Moses Malone in the finals and the Celts bring home the first title of the 80's era. He also won game 7, along with Robert Parish, in the 1984 finals vs Lakers.

In the podcast, he mentioned that when he was traded to the Clippers for Bill Walton, not one of his Celtic teammates contacted him to express disappointment or to wish him the best going forward. If true, those guys were a pathetic excuse for teammates and I don't begrudge Max any bitterness he might still carry, though he conducts himself as a proud star alumni these days.

« Reply #581 on: August 14, 2022, 12:30:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm with Max,  paraphrasing, “If it's Brown, White, two picks and a swap. That's pretty much Brown for KD straight up.“

I suspect Max and I see White as downgrade to Smart and Brogdon so using a pick or two is worth it to put him in the deal. And any picks we give is likely in the 20s over next four years.

KD I feel is a top 3 player and will remain top 10 for at least two years. Love Brown but he isn't top 15 and may never be that. I would add Grant for Curry and a 2nd back due to having Gallo now.

I don't see any team with a better nine man rotation than
Smart, Brog, JT, KD, TL
PP, Curry, Gallo, Al

« Reply #582 on: August 14, 2022, 01:24:04 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

The comparison to "normal" employees falls short

He's more like one of the best traders at Wall Street, or a star lawyer at a top law firm, just people who are good at their job in competitive fields

Yes he calls in sick every other day, and him parading around the office and flaunting his supermodel girlfriends and expensive booze raises some eyebrows.

But [dang] does he win cases.

Multiply that by several hundred. And add to that the fact that the NBA as a business moves several times faster than these already fast paced environments. There's also no good comparison of a championship to these relatively "normal" workplaces - KD basically brings you that much closer to a couple championships.

That said, while I felt initially that they really have to think about the JB + white + first for KD (because KD is just that good, and that deal essentially amounts to JB straight up for KD), I'm now leaning quite heavily towards not doing anything centered around JB for KD...guess I should have expected this much drama out of KD anyway given his past, but this is another level  of drama

Erik and I are talking about Kyrie, not KD :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #583 on: August 17, 2022, 09:33:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
With the start of training camp just six weeks away, league sources continue to insist that the Celtics are not close to a deal that would bring Kevin Durant to Boston, and that there have not even been any real discussions of substance. – via Boston Globe

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #584 on: August 17, 2022, 09:41:11 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112

I've become just the opposite.