Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 59372 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #525 on: August 11, 2022, 11:06:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
What could Philly offer besides draft picks??? Doubt Nets want Harris & they not trading Embiid of course
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #526 on: August 11, 2022, 11:23:36 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I really believe Stevens was going to trade Brown for Durant then all the backlash came & he back out
I think there is some truth to this.

« Reply #527 on: August 11, 2022, 11:26:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I really believe Stevens was going to trade Brown for Durant then all the backlash came & he back out

I don't know.   I think that Stevens was gaging the value of Durant without making actual offers.   

The Nets are now trying to use that discussion as an "offer" to get other teams to up the other offers to at least match the "Brown value" in the report. 

« Reply #528 on: August 11, 2022, 11:38:29 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't.  I think Brooklyn was and probably still is asking for more than he is willing to give up.  When the price comes down, Durant will be a Celtic.

I agree with this, well the first part anyway.  It seems there were discussions and that Stevens was willing to at least discuss including Brown (or so say the "reports") but the issue is BKN's price tag or expectation.  They are looking for a King's Ransom, not a fair deal.  That is what Stevens walked away from.

This backlash or more generally all the drama around this now could affect the Celtic's willingness to enter back into discussions should BKN become willing to recalibrate to a more realistic return for Durant.  But BKN does not appear to be at that point.

Based on all of this, my belief is that the Celtics have moved on and are now focused on the team they have and filling the last few roster spots.  I will be very surprised, stunned in fact, if Durant is on the Celtics to start the season and Brown is not.

« Reply #529 on: August 11, 2022, 11:42:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So if this stretched into the season (which I tend to think will), what record (or issues) do you think needs to take place for the Celtics to push for such a trade?

What type of record will push the Celtics to forget about the idea completely?

« Reply #530 on: August 11, 2022, 05:48:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

I don't know.   I think that Stevens was gaging the value of Durant without making actual offers.   

The Nets are now trying to use that discussion as an "offer" to get other teams to up the other offers to at least match the "Brown value" in the report.

The Celtics offer of Brown, White and picks is a reasonable one.

KD is now reported as saying he wants to play with Smart. Maybe that's why they wanted Smart.
The only way he gets to play with Smart is if he gets traded to Boston. So a trade is possible for the Celtics package, or close to it.

No doubt the Nets are angling to maximize offers from other teams.

« Reply #531 on: August 11, 2022, 06:08:14 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Of course Nets want Sixers to be involved to up price from Celtics. They have nothing of much value though. But if somehow they blinded the Nets, Durant, Harden and Embiid would be a tough one for us to get through..in essence, swapping Kyrie for Durant from Nets team to Sixers with a better coach too.

Nets no doubt want Smart from us. We dont want to give them a strong now core. Maybe Kyrie told Nets he stays if Brown comes.

« Reply #532 on: August 11, 2022, 09:16:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Perk seems to think Brad has burned his bridges with Jaylen as the trade rumors insulted him… and now may have to trade him anyway because he might not be all in anymore.

I don’t know what to make of all this talk.   :-\

« Reply #533 on: August 11, 2022, 11:33:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I still don’t believe there is a better player available to them than Brown. Any other team that could offer someone better than Brown wouldn’t be left with enough for Durant to want to go there to compete for a championship.

The picks from wherever he goes will probably not be lottery picks for as long as he’s there. Durant would elevate any team he goes to. He’d make a good team a contender. He’d make a contender the favorite. But he’s not looking to make a fringe playoff team a 4-seed.

If Nets are going all in on a rebuild, I don’t know how they send Durant to the team of his choosing and get more than Brown, White, and picks.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #534 on: August 12, 2022, 12:52:18 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Perk seems to think Brad has burned his bridges with Jaylen as the trade rumors insulted him… and now may have to trade him anyway because he might not be all in anymore.

Perk is kind of sensationalist right

« Reply #535 on: August 12, 2022, 12:56:21 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Perk has zero sources abs is an entertainment figure

« Reply #536 on: August 12, 2022, 04:32:36 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

Perk has zero sources abs is an entertainment figure

He's also a guy that got traded away from a championship team and fell into irrelevance shortly thereafter.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #537 on: August 12, 2022, 05:32:57 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Perk's there to create speculation. But it's half of one and two fourths of the other...you can easily find talking heads supporting either side of the argument.

As for Jaylen, if he decides he wants out of a good situation because his name was included in trade rumors, he's going to be moving around a lot. Most basketball players will be included in trade rumors for higher value players. That's the reality of the business.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #538 on: August 12, 2022, 08:07:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I still don’t believe there is a better player available to them than Brown. Any other team that could offer someone better than Brown wouldn’t be left with enough for Durant to want to go there to compete for a championship.

The picks from wherever he goes will probably not be lottery picks for as long as he’s there. Durant would elevate any team he goes to. He’d make a good team a contender. He’d make a contender the favorite. But he’s not looking to make a fringe playoff team a 4-seed.

If Nets are going all in on a rebuild, I don’t know how they send Durant to the team of his choosing and get more than Brown, White, and picks.
Ingram?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #539 on: August 12, 2022, 08:50:42 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Ingram?

Ingram isn't as good as Brown. He isn't in the same class as a shooter or defender. He's probably never going to fill out physically.

What he does give you is a very talented, very young guy with two years of reps as a primary option, and he will probably evolve into a top ten offensive player in the next couple of years.

Brooklyn needs to decide what they will do with Irving and Simmons, who are both radio-active but still probably capable of playing at a high level. With two ball handlers like that, Brown would be a smarter choice (although one I hope they don't actually have). If they plan on taking their medicine now and clear them out soon, Ingram would probably fit better.

I think the Pels are in an amazing position. If I were them, I'd offer Zion instead and nothing else. As awesome as he can be, he could also end up being a mess. The Pels are already pretty decent without him, and are stocked with lots of young prospects and a ton of picks. With Durant, they could immediately become a top contender.