Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 59338 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #495 on: August 10, 2022, 07:34:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
With so much love of keeping JB, I just hope LAL wont be the ones who would acquire KD. KD playing alongside LBJ and AD would be a very formidable trio to beat. They need each other (as the two are in their past prime yet very relevant status/condition) to have a legitimate shot at the title.

Westbrook salary could be utilized to match KD's. Other teams (Miami?) could facilitate it. I'm hoping Tsai won't allow it to happen. But then...

What assets do the Lakers have?  Salary filler + two #1s isn't going to get it done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #496 on: August 10, 2022, 07:35:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Here's a question.. say it does come down to Philly and Boston to land Durant.
As rosters stand I think we can all agree that we have the edge over Philly. I think if we trade for Durant we still have the better roster over Philly, if Philly lands Durant they are clearly the front runners in the East and a better team then us.

I've been against trading Brown for Durant from the start, however if by not making the trade we destroy our window for the next 4 years then I think we are backed into a corner to do so.

If that makes sense..

Health would be a major question mark for Philly as well as what they have to send back in a trade.
It would be Harris for salary, Maxey for young promising "star", and Thybulle for extra value, plus whatever 1st's they have left to trade.  Not as good as Brown or Ingram I would think, but I suppose just how not good depends on what you think Maxey's peak actually is.  As a 2nd year 21 one year old on a good team, he put up quality stats with a very nice efficiency, so if given a bigger role and expected growth, I think you could project him as at least an all star level player, if not all nba potential at his peak.  He is a long way from that right now though and promising young players often peak well below what you would expect based on early returns.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #497 on: August 10, 2022, 07:36:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
With so much love of keeping JB, I just hope LAL wont be the ones who would acquire KD. KD playing alongside LBJ and AD would be a very formidable trio to beat. They need each other (as the two are in their past prime yet very relevant status/condition) to have a legitimate shot at the title.

Westbrook salary could be utilized to match KD's. Other teams (Miami?) could facilitate it. I'm hoping Tsai won't allow it to happen. But then...

What assets do the Lakers have?  Salary filler + two #1s isn't going to get it done.

AD for KD is a good offer.

KD and LeBron together would be a nightmare. Good thing the rest of their team sucks.

« Reply #498 on: August 10, 2022, 07:50:12 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35

A third team that facilitates the transaction is crucial. That could be their approach.

« Reply #499 on: August 10, 2022, 08:05:17 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
As rosters stand I think we can all agree that we have the edge over Philly. I think if we trade for Durant we still have the better roster over Philly, if Philly lands Durant they are clearly the front runners in the East and a better team then us.

I've been against trading Brown for Durant from the start, however if by not making the trade we destroy our window for the next 4 years then I think we are backed into a corner to do so.

If that makes sense..

Thing is, what’s the best Philly could offer?  Maxey, Tobias Harris, and one not guaranteed first?  I don’t see why the Celtics would have to offer Jaylen to beat that.  Rob, Brogdon, Pritchard and picks is still better.

« Reply #500 on: August 10, 2022, 08:13:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

If that makes sense..

Health would be a major question mark for Philly as well as what they have to send back in a trade.
It would be Harris for salary, Maxey for young promising "star", and Thybulle for extra value, plus whatever 1st's they have left to trade.  Not as good as Brown or Ingram I would think, but I suppose just how not good depends on what you think Maxey's peak actually is.  As a 2nd year 21 one year old on a good team, he put up quality stats with a very nice efficiency, so if given a bigger role and expected growth, I think you could project him as at least an all star level player, if not all nba potential at his peak.  He is a long way from that right now though and promising young players often peak well below what you would expect based on early returns.

That is an awful offer. Harris is abet negative contract, maxey probably projects as a high level starter. Thybulle not really playable in playoffs. Think Philly is least likely team in league to get
Durant, plus don’t  think Durant or harden are in a rush to play together.

« Reply #501 on: August 10, 2022, 08:21:08 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I find Adam Himmelsbach to be generally unreliable, but does anybody have access to the Globe?  I refuse to pay even $1 for six months of their crappy content.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/10/sports/latest-kevin-durant-celtics-more-bill-russell-memories-other-thoughts/

I mean, it's trendy to act like the Nets are out of touch with reality, but there's obviously no way this is real, right?

This is the part that pertains to KD.

A league source said there has not been any real traction on a deal that would send Kevin Durant from the Nets to the Celtics. It’s no surprise that the sides have had some discussions, of course.

Durant is one of the best players of all time, and when one of the best players of all time could be available, other teams should feel obligated to inquire. The Athletic recently reported that all 29 other teams have been in touch with Brooklyn about Durant.

Boston has been considered a potential landing spot in large part because the Celtics are better positioned than most to offer an enticing package. But there are limits.

According to the source, Brooklyn initially tried to pry both Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown from Boston. That proposal went nowhere, of course. The source confirmed recent reports that Brooklyn later shifted its focus to a deal centered on Brown, Marcus Smart, and a massive haul of future first-round draft picks. But the Celtics were not interested.

There is usually posturing in trade discussions, and demands tend to soften. But as of this week, when Durant reportedly reiterated his desire to be traded during a meeting with team owner Joe Tsai, the Celtics and Nets were not close to a deal.

▪ When Brown’s name first appeared in Durant trade rumors a couple of weeks ago, the Celtics star tweeted “smh” (shaking my head), an apparent sign of frustration.

But a league source said Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens and coach Ime Udoka communicate with Brown “all the time” and have kept him in the loop, adding that Brown seems to understand the situation.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/10/sports/latest-kevin-durant-celtics-more-bill-russell-memories-other-thoughts/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #502 on: August 10, 2022, 08:29:51 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

KD and LeBron together would be a nightmare. Good thing the rest of their team sucks.

Never in the history of mankind has so much ego been on the same team

« Reply #503 on: August 10, 2022, 08:38:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Never in the history of mankind has so much ego been on the same team

I don't know, Kyrie, KD and Harden came pretty darn close.

« Reply #504 on: August 10, 2022, 08:49:04 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
After hearing about his "it's me or them" demand to Joe Tsai, demanding Tsai fire Nash and Marks in exchange for him staying, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

It's interesting how these stories are presented to the public by the media, which in turn shapes the entire narrative.

It's unlikely that Durant and Tsai had a two-sentence interaction in their meeting.  I have no idea about what was discussed, but we got a very short summary of that meeting.

It can definitely be framed as a "demand" that was essentially "it's me or them".

But, an equally plausible scenario, couched a little more softly:  After some pleasantries, Tsai asked Durant what was bothering him, and if there would be a scenario under which he'd like to stay in Brooklyn.  Durant said, "I like my teammates.  I like the facilities, I like the city, I love the ownership group.  Everything here is first class.  But, I'm getting old, man.  I just don't have a lot of patience, and I don't like the direction of the franchise.  I've given it a shot, but I just don't trust Steve Nash's decision making.  He got thoroughly outcoached by Ime Udoka in a series that I think should have been more competitive.  And Marks, he's a good man, but I don't think he's building the right type of team.  Things just seem unsettled here.  So, I'm being candid with you, I just don't think I'll feel completely comfortable with Nash and Marks still here. 

Tsai:  "Are you saying you'd stay if those two were fired?"

Durant:  "Yeah, I'd at least give it a shot.  I just want to be in a position to win championships, and to feel like we're all moving in the same direction".

If that was the conservation, it could have still been distilled down to the "me or them" narrative, but it lacks all kinds of context. 

That's more a comment on the media than on Durant trade rumors, but it's something that I try to think about when seeing these reports.  Unless they involve Kyrie.  Then I just automatically assume the absolute worst.

Very valid point. It's unfortunate because we can only make judgements based on what piece is presented to us via the media lens, the rest becomes conjecture. Even more so in today's social media era where if it's more than 140 characters it doesn't grab people's attention. That scenario you described is entirely plausible and makes KD look better. But as you said, it still comes down to a "it's them or me otherwise I'm out", which is really what I'm judging him on.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #505 on: August 10, 2022, 08:51:45 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
After hearing about his "it's me or them" demand to Joe Tsai, demanding Tsai fire Nash and Marks in exchange for him staying, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

It's interesting how these stories are presented to the public by the media, which in turn shapes the entire narrative.

It's unlikely that Durant and Tsai had a two-sentence interaction in their meeting.  I have no idea about what was discussed, but we got a very short summary of that meeting.

It can definitely be framed as a "demand" that was essentially "it's me or them".

But, an equally plausible scenario, couched a little more softly:  After some pleasantries, Tsai asked Durant what was bothering him, and if there would be a scenario under which he'd like to stay in Brooklyn.  Durant said, "I like my teammates.  I like the facilities, I like the city, I love the ownership group.  Everything here is first class.  But, I'm getting old, man.  I just don't have a lot of patience, and I don't like the direction of the franchise.  I've given it a shot, but I just don't trust Steve Nash's decision making.  He got thoroughly outcoached by Ime Udoka in a series that I think should have been more competitive.  And Marks, he's a good man, but I don't think he's building the right type of team.  Things just seem unsettled here.  So, I'm being candid with you, I just don't think I'll feel completely comfortable with Nash and Marks still here. 

Tsai:  "Are you saying you'd stay if those two were fired?"

Durant:  "Yeah, I'd at least give it a shot.  I just want to be in a position to win championships, and to feel like we're all moving in the same direction".

If that was the conservation, it could have still been distilled down to the "me or them" narrative, but it lacks all kinds of context. 

That's more a comment on the media than on Durant trade rumors, but it's something that I try to think about when seeing these reports.  Unless they involve Kyrie.  Then I just automatically assume the absolute worst.

I never knew how much I needed Kevin Durant fanfic in my life.

« Reply #506 on: August 10, 2022, 09:05:43 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 169
I know I'm a page or two behind, but I just came here to say that I don't think Ben Simmons is a good example to compare to Durant. Morey has a mancrush on Harden since he traded for him in Houston. Without that, Simmons might still be a Sixer. I don't think Simmons forced anything, but he jumped at the opportunity when he saw Morey get giddy like a schoolgirl every time Harden's name was mentioned.

« Reply #507 on: August 10, 2022, 09:46:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

A third team that facilitates the transaction is crucial. That could be their approach.

Yeah, been hearing KD to LA as a very possible destination from some analysts. Hope that's false but...you never know with the land of Hollywood that attracts stars and celebrities.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #508 on: August 10, 2022, 09:47:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah, been hearing KD to LA as a very possible destination from some analysts. Hope that's false but...you never know with the land of Hollywood that attracts stars and celebrities.
There is no 3rd team available.  if the Lakers acquire Durant it is for Davis or James.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #509 on: August 10, 2022, 09:56:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There is no 3rd team available.  if the Lakers acquire Durant it is for Davis or James.

Yeah, how would facilitation work?  The Lakers only have Lebron, Davis and two #1s as assets.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes