Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 60532 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #450 on: August 10, 2022, 09:33:25 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Who do you think has more value nationally, Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram?  They have to be thought of similarly I would think.  So if the Pelicans do in fact have Ingram on the table, then it makes a lot of sense why Boston would have to have Brown on the table to field a competitive offer.  The real question would be what other pieces are involved.  If the Pelicans are putting Herb Jones on the table, and the draft picks they have from the Lakers and Bucks, wouldn't those at least potentially have more value than either New Orleans own picks or Boston's picks. 

Durant

for

Ingram
Jones
Hayes
Lakers or Pelicans 23 (Pelicans have swap rights)
Lakers 24 or 25 (Pelicans have option which year)
Bucks 25
Blazers 25
Bucks 27

If something like that is on the table (or potentially on the table), Boston more than likely has to do Brown, Smart, Grant, and at least 2 1st's if not 3 to even get in the door.  Maybe that is too much to give up, but that is why that is the trade being talked about.

I can guarantee you the Pelicans aren’t making anywhere near that kind of offer.
As of yesterday they were interested and still linked to Durant (at least according to Pelicans reporters).  For that to exist, they have to be willing to part with Ingram (and he doesn't make enough for it to just be him).  So yeah, maybe it isn't all those draft picks, but even 2 or 3 with Ingram tops a Brown, White, 1st offer, or at least arguably does because Ingram and Brown are similar and White is kind of bleh.

They’ve also reportedly said Ingram is off the table.

« Reply #451 on: August 10, 2022, 01:02:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I find Adam Himmelsbach to be generally unreliable, but does anybody have access to the Globe?  I refuse to pay even $1 for six months of their crappy content.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/10/sports/latest-kevin-durant-celtics-more-bill-russell-memories-other-thoughts/

I mean, it's trendy to act like the Nets are out of touch with reality, but there's obviously no way this is real, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #452 on: August 10, 2022, 01:16:22 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I find Adam Himmelsbach to be generally unreliable, but does anybody have access to the Globe?  I refuse to pay even $1 for six months of their crappy content.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/10/sports/latest-kevin-durant-celtics-more-bill-russell-memories-other-thoughts/

I mean, it's trendy to act like the Nets are out of touch with reality, but there's obviously no way this is real, right?

Like everything else, it's obviously incomplete at a minimum.  The Nets can't have Simmons and Tatum on the same team, so if what Himmelsbach is saying is true, it likely would have been Tatum and Brown for Durant and Simmons.

« Reply #453 on: August 10, 2022, 01:22:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Like everything else, it's obviously incomplete at a minimum.  The Nets can't have Simmons and Tatum on the same team, so if what Himmelsbach is saying is true, it likely would have been Tatum and Brown for Durant and Simmons.

They can ask all they want but that's not happening. Durant is a loose cannon. I'd rather keep our guys.

« Reply #454 on: August 10, 2022, 01:23:28 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Why not? If BKN is convinced that Durant is the same player they got from GS then they should ask for the stars.

I think the rest of the league knows that it has been a minute since KD has been a solid leader.

« Reply #455 on: August 10, 2022, 01:29:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Tatum and Brown for Durant and Simmons would have been straight theft - and that’s before we consider Boston would have had to add more pieces to make salaries work.

I would not trade Tatum for Durant straight up. Is Durant better this coming year? Maybe, but he might not be - their arcs are moving in the opposite directions. My money is definitely on Tatum to be better in years 2-4. And he’s a lot cheaper and healthier.

Simmons hasn’t played in a year and nobody knows where his head is. He’s got a limited game and is not easy to build around. Brown is a three-level scorer and plus defender, should be an all-star this year, and he’s coming off a finals where he was our best player. Simmons’ playoff history is … not remotely close. Brown’s value is simply much higher, unless someone is making a faith/based estimate that Simmons will play at his best next year and improve drastically in the playoffs.

« Reply #456 on: August 10, 2022, 01:30:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why not? If BKN is convinced that Durant is the same player they got from GS then they should ask for the stars.

I think the rest of the league knows that it has been a minute since KD has been a solid leader.

A 34 year old player with a bad three-year injury history isn't worth Tatum and Brown, even if he's got the exact saw skills as Prime Durant had. 

From my experience as a negotiator, starting with a ridiculously high- or low-ball offer sours negotiations, and makes it more likely that something won't get done.  I don't think Brooklyn is that stupid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #457 on: August 10, 2022, 01:35:00 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
There was a report that BKN asked MIN for Towns, Edwards, and 4 picks.  This was from early July.  Back then, I don't think BKN really wanted to trade Durant so they were asking for the moon.  I am not sure they want to trade Durant even now but at a minimum, they are probably much closer than they were in July.

They likely could have gotten more Durant back in early July, not Towns/Edwards or Tatum/Brown but more than they could now.  I don't see a trade happening.  No one now is going to offer what BNK wants.

According to reports, the Nets asked for star center Karl-Anthony Towns, potential future face of the NBA Anthony Edwards, and four draft picks.

« Reply #458 on: August 10, 2022, 01:35:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
There's no one player in the NBA worth Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #459 on: August 10, 2022, 01:37:54 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Tatum and Brown for Durant and Simmons would have been straight theft - and that’s before we consider Boston would have had to add more pieces to make salaries work.

I would not trade Tatum for Durant straight up. Is Durant better this coming year? Maybe, but he might not be - their arcs are moving in the opposite directions. My money is definitely on Tatum to be better in years 2-4. And he’s a lot cheaper and healthier.

Simmons hasn’t played in a year and nobody knows where his head is. He’s got a limited game and is not easy to build around. Brown is a three-level scorer and plus defender, should be an all-star this year, and he’s coming off a finals where he was our best player. Simmons’ playoff history is … not remotely close. Brown’s value is simply much higher, unless someone is making a faith/based estimate that Simmons will play at his best next year and improve drastically in the playoffs.

I agree it’d be straight up steal.  It’s less crazy than Durant straight up for Brown and Tatum, which was my point, but obviously that’s an instant no from the Celtics.

« Reply #460 on: August 10, 2022, 01:43:00 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Wow!! Tatum and Brown for a 34year old guy who has injuries concerns, hahahaha..I wouldn’t do that in a video game
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #461 on: August 10, 2022, 01:44:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I wonder, if it was permissible under NBA rules, if Brooklyn would offer Durant + Simmons for Tatum.

I bet they would.  And, I think the Celtics would turn it down.  There's a universe where that trade makes the Celtics substantially better in the short-term, but there's just way too much risk.

Horford / Timelord
Simmons / Gallinari
Durant / Williams
Brown / White
Smart / Brogdon / Pritchard

If that team reached its full potential and stayed healthy, it could realistically go Fo-Fo-Fo-Fo.

« Reply #462 on: August 10, 2022, 01:51:08 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Looks like Durant wants to play with Smart so I'm not sure how he could be included in the trade
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-kevin-durant-sees-boston-170825524.html

« Reply #463 on: August 10, 2022, 01:53:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I wonder, if it was permissible under NBA rules, if Brooklyn would offer Durant + Simmons for Tatum.

I bet they would.  And, I think the Celtics would turn it down.  There's a universe where that trade makes the Celtics substantially better in the short-term, but there's just way too much risk.

Horford / Timelord
Simmons / Gallinari
Durant / Williams
Brown / White
Smart / Brogdon / Pritchard

If that team reached its full potential and stayed healthy, it could realistically go Fo-Fo-Fo-Fo.

Durant plus Simmons represent about $78 million next year ($43 million plus $34.5M).

Tatum is going to be paid $30.4M. We’d need to kick in major salary to make the trade work. Assuming we don’t add Brown, I think it’s got to include Horford and then maybe others (can’t do the math right now.)

« Reply #464 on: August 10, 2022, 01:55:34 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't believe that source.
Careful about taking everything you read in the media seriously on rumors. Especially out of NY.
I suspect there is resistance in the NY media on trading KD to nemesis Boston.

The impression I got from Sports Edge was the Nets had backed off from Brown + Smart, which was unrealistic.
The negotiations, if there are any, are now centered on Brown plus lesser players in a package.
Brown is still the best player being offered for KD by any team. The Nets owner is tuned to that.

I still don't think this is a great trade for the Celtics. KD is no longer in his prime.
The big concern is Brown might not re-sign in Boston.