Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 60149 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2022, 10:21:46 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Honestly if Marcus Smart is the player that is preventing this from happening I'm somewhat shocked.

I'd argue that White is more valuable if we get KD. Smart and KD in the same locker room to me would be a ticking time bomb. No chance those two can coexist.

White knows his role on this team, and with a core of KD and Tatum we need guys that are just that - those who know their roles.. Smart unfortunately is not, and has never been that player.

Again, i would NOT trade Jaylen for KD to begin with - but now I feel like we are forced to. If Smart is the piece preventing it from happening, if everything else is equal, to me is idiotic.

That’s why I think this really may happen. It doesn’t seem that the counter is far off from the original offer - if the reporting is accurate. Seems to me if both sides want something to happen they’re close enough that it will.

The thing thats ironic is how there have been multiple reports through the years of Smart and Brown clashing and not getting along, again speculation but with enough 'evidence' that kind of backs the theory.

The Nets want to keep them paired? If the goal is to get (and retain) Brown - you want to trade him with the guy he already can't stand?

Thats why the Nets are the Nets.

The Nets just showcased one of the softest products in NBA history. They’re now looking to improve by getting two of the toughest players in the league. They want to trade two soft players (KD and Seth Curry) to get this done.

Why would Boston bail them out? As conciliatory act for the Paul Pierce/KG heist?

This trade makes the Celtics worse in the short term and long term.
This is silly. KD doesn’t make the Cs worse. He’s legit a top 5 guy in the league. You can certainly debate on the cost of getting him but saying KD makes the Cs worse is crazy talk. He’s have a KG like impact on this team and elevate everyone else, including JT.

I disagree that he is top 5. I think Tatum is better, without the age, baggage, or sensitive nature.

I prefer Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, Lebron, Luka, and Tatum. KD is certainly a top 5 talent. I think the malcontent BS drags him down.

Honest question- can KD handle Ime’s coaching? He couldn’t handle Atkinson’s.
Ime literally coached KD in Brooklyn and on team USA. I would think he’d have some inside scoop there.

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2022, 10:22:58 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I'm in the "I don't trade Brown unless I'm certain that he isn't resigning" camp.

I'm curious, how do you define "certain"?

One of Danny's mistakes was not trading Kyrie when it looked very likely that he was on the way out.  Does "certain" only apply to 100%, or is it more loose, like 80% certain?

I'm in the "more likely than not" group.  If there's a 51% chance JB is leaving, I'd deal him for Durant.

The closest that I can come up with for a definition is "CBS believes that it's more likely than not that Brown goes elsewhere." Perhaps "close enough," since we can never be 100% certain.

Mike

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2022, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm in the "I don't trade Brown unless I'm certain that he isn't resigning" camp.

One of Danny's mistakes was not trading Kyrie when it looked very likely that he was on the way out.  Does "certain" only apply to 100%, or is it more loose, like 80% certain?

I'm in the "more likely than not" group.  If there's a 51% chance JB is leaving, I'd deal him for Durant.

Brad is looking at KD having 4 years left on his contract. Not whether Jaylen is going to bolt after 2 years. That’s impossible to predict and frankly irrelevant. He’d probably still trade him for KD if Jaylen were to extend today. It’s the other stuff (Smart vs White) that will get in way of deal.

I agree that Brad would likely kick the tires on a JB/KD trade even if JB was committed (for the record, there's no evidence he isn't). He has to do his due diligence or he wouldn't be doing his job.

But let's not pretend KD's contract means anything. He's asking out before his extension even kicks in. What's to stop him from doing that again in year 2 or 3?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2022, 10:25:58 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Still think Brown wants to be the guy. He’s never going to be the guy in Boston.

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2022, 10:30:16 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Honestly if Marcus Smart is the player that is preventing this from happening I'm somewhat shocked.

I'd argue that White is more valuable if we get KD. Smart and KD in the same locker room to me would be a ticking time bomb. No chance those two can coexist.

White knows his role on this team, and with a core of KD and Tatum we need guys that are just that - those who know their roles.. Smart unfortunately is not, and has never been that player.

Again, i would NOT trade Jaylen for KD to begin with - but now I feel like we are forced to. If Smart is the piece preventing it from happening, if everything else is equal, to me is idiotic.

That’s why I think this really may happen. It doesn’t seem that the counter is far off from the original offer - if the reporting is accurate. Seems to me if both sides want something to happen they’re close enough that it will.

The thing thats ironic is how there have been multiple reports through the years of Smart and Brown clashing and not getting along, again speculation but with enough 'evidence' that kind of backs the theory.

The Nets want to keep them paired? If the goal is to get (and retain) Brown - you want to trade him with the guy he already can't stand?

Thats why the Nets are the Nets.

The Nets just showcased one of the softest products in NBA history. They’re now looking to improve by getting two of the toughest players in the league. They want to trade two soft players (KD and Seth Curry) to get this done.

Why would Boston bail them out? As conciliatory act for the Paul Pierce/KG heist?

This trade makes the Celtics worse in the short term and long term.
This is silly. KD doesn’t make the Cs worse. He’s legit a top 5 guy in the league. You can certainly debate on the cost of getting him but saying KD makes the Cs worse is crazy talk. He’s have a KG like impact on this team and elevate everyone else, including JT.

KD is not KG from a leadership and mental standpoint, not even close. There's no denying his skill set, but he has the mental toughness of a paper towel. Bolts OKC after GSW comes back on them, bolts GSW after his Draymond tiff, gbolting Brooklyn because they wouldn't pay his buddy (after getting a good coach fired at that), social media spats with fans and pundits, and even burner accounts to defend himself.

KG was unique in the sense of how much he wanted to win a title. That guy cared about winning above everything else. KD is a diva and that's what we'd get. He may change the culture but as he's shown in Brooklyn, it won't be like KG did.
KD might not be David Robinson from a leadership perspective but he seemed to have the ear of the roster with team USA. Guys looked up to him and I think that shows with his relationship with JT. Think the Kyrie stuff in Brooklyn muddied everything up (with Harden too). I don’t agree with the route he’s taken for his overall legacy but I’m looking at it from a perspective of how does he fit on this team with JT. JT reveres him and considers him an older brother. KD has gone out of his way to mentor him under team USA etc. That’s why I think he’s work well here. He’d also take off pressure from JT which would be a plus.

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Brad is looking at KD having 4 years left on his contract. Not whether Jaylen is going to bolt after 2 years. That’s impossible to predict and frankly irrelevant. He’d probably still trade him for KD if Jaylen were to extend today. It’s the other stuff (Smart vs White) that will get in way of deal.

It should be said, Durant having four years left on his contract isn’t the same as having Durant for four years in Boston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2022, 10:32:46 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Here's a question.

Let's say that Brad has gotten word from Jaylen that he's had enough of Boston and will move on at the end of his contract in two years. 

Who do you we think would be A) obtainable within that timeframe for a Jaylen Brown package; and B) better than Durant, who will be 34 at the start of next season?

Honestly, I'm not thrilled about what this current rumor would do to our window, given KD's age and injury history.  How many years of top-10-ish ball does he have left in him?  Two, maybe three at absolute best, right?  But on the other hand, I'm struggling to come up with guys who I'd prefer over Durant that might become obtainable within the next ~12 months. 

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2022, 10:34:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Durant for Brown, White, Grant plus picks would be my offer..u can find vets to fill out our bench..but I wouldn’t do Brown & Smart together
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2022, 10:38:01 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Here's a question.

Let's say that Brad has gotten word from Jaylen that he's had enough of Boston and will move on at the end of his contract in two years. 

Who do you we think would be A) obtainable within that timeframe for a Jaylen Brown package; and B) better than Durant, who will be 34 at the start of next season?

Honestly, I'm not thrilled about what this current rumor would do to our window, given KD's age and injury history.  How many years of top-10-ish ball does he have left in him?  Two, maybe three at absolute best, right?  But on the other hand, I'm struggling to come up with guys who I'd prefer over Durant that might become obtainable within the next ~12 months.

I mean in theory we can create the list based on the rumors of teams that were interested in KD:
Phx - Ayton & Bridges
Miami - Herro & BAM
GS - Wiggins and Poole
Nola - Was Zion on the table?
Was - Gotta assume we could get Beal for Brown

who else was rumored?

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2022, 10:41:31 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Here's a question.

I mean in theory we can create the list based on the rumors of teams that were interested in KD:
Phx - Ayton & Bridges
Miami - Herro & BAM
GS - Wiggins and Poole

who else was rumored?

I wouldn't take any of those packages over Durant though.  Would you?

I guess Zion is an exception to that statement, but I get the sense that he was never actually as available as the media pretended.  They wanted him to force his way to a bigger market so badly that they tried to speak it into existence, only for him to sign his extension in New Orleans anyway. 

« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2022, 10:43:00 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Here's a question.

Phx - Ayton & Bridges
Miami - Herro & BAM
GS - Wiggins and Poole

who else was rumored?

I wouldn't take any of those packages over Durant though.  Would you?

I guess Zion is an exception to that statement, but I get the sense that he was never actually as available as the media pretended.  They wanted him to force his way to a bigger market so badly that they tried to speak it into existence, only for him to sign his extension in New Orleans anyway.

No I would not - but I also wouldn't trade Brown for Durant - If I must then I think KD is the best offer of at least that bunch.
That said I do think more disgruntled stars on bad teams become available over the next year or two.

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2022, 10:51:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sure the Boston owners have a say as well as Brad .  There could be pressure on Brad to make a trade . Things behind the scenes.,  or not ?

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2022, 10:53:14 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
IMO, we were Extremely lucky to get to the Finals the way last season started and with all the injuries the East had....You can't expect a repeat of last year and a guaranteed return to the Finals by adding two injury prone bench players. Yes, you make this deal.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2022, 10:55:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
article reeks of a Nets desperation move to get a bigger package for Durant from someone (and sow discord in the C's locker room) rather than a legit story that the C's actually made that offer.

If the story came from one of the 10,000 other beat reporters I'd agree with you. The fact that it's coming from Woj and Shams has to make you believe its legitimate
Woj, maybe.  Shams, not on this.

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2022, 10:57:07 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
IMO, we were Extremely lucky to get to the Finals the way last season started and with all the injuries the East had....You can't expect a repeat of last year and a guaranteed return to the Finals by adding two injury prone bench players. Yes, you make this deal.

I think this is the rub. Can Boston beat Milwaukee as constructed with Middleton playing. I think Boston as is right now is much better than Miami.

And will the experience alone be enough to beat the warriors in a rematch if Boston keeps the team as is.