Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 60019 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2022, 10:04:05 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 984
I'm in the "I don't trade Brown unless I'm certain that he isn't resigning" camp.

But I also remember that one of the reasons that we signed Big Al is that during Durant 1.0, he said that he wanted to play with Horford. Maybe that helps with the chemistry.

Mike

But then when having the opportunity to play with Horford, he turned it down.  Durant is so fickle.

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm in the "I don't trade Brown unless I'm certain that he isn't resigning" camp.

But I also remember that one of the reasons that we signed Big Al is that during Durant 1.0, he said that he wanted to play with Horford. Maybe that helps with the chemistry.

Mike

I agree. If Brad and Jaylen have had conversations about this, then I commend both of them for being up front. We were able to come back from losing Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford for nothing. I'm not sure that'd be the case with Brown.

I'd love for Brown to fully commit and declare his love for Boston, but knowing he can't sign a true max extension, I may get an ulcer over the next two years thinking about if he may walk when he is an UFA.

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Honestly if Marcus Smart is the player that is preventing this from happening I'm somewhat shocked.

I'd argue that White is more valuable if we get KD. Smart and KD in the same locker room to me would be a ticking time bomb. No chance those two can coexist.

White knows his role on this team, and with a core of KD and Tatum we need guys that are just that - those who know their roles.. Smart unfortunately is not, and has never been that player.

Again, i would NOT trade Jaylen for KD to begin with - but now I feel like we are forced to. If Smart is the piece preventing it from happening, if everything else is equal, to me is idiotic.

That’s why I think this really may happen. It doesn’t seem that the counter is far off from the original offer - if the reporting is accurate. Seems to me if both sides want something to happen they’re close enough that it will.

The thing thats ironic is how there have been multiple reports through the years of Smart and Brown clashing and not getting along, again speculation but with enough 'evidence' that kind of backs the theory.

The Nets want to keep them paired? If the goal is to get (and retain) Brown - you want to trade him with the guy he already can't stand?

Thats why the Nets are the Nets.

The Nets just showcased one of the softest products in NBA history. They’re now looking to improve by getting two of the toughest players in the league. They want to trade two soft players (KD and Seth Curry) to get this done.

Why would Boston bail them out? As conciliatory act for the Paul Pierce/KG heist?

This trade makes the Celtics worse in the short term and long term.

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2022, 10:07:17 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
This is kyrie all over again.  And it will be the same result

I understand the sentiment but I don’t see KI and KD being 2 peas in a pod. I’m not a big KD fan in terms of how he’s handled his career but as a player the guy is an all-time great and he’s still near the top of his game.  And while KI appears (to me) to have some ongoing MH challenges that invariably cause problems, I don’t really see that with KD.

KD and JT on the court together would be an opposing team’s nightmare - never mind with Brogdon too.  JT and JB together was great but manageable… but how do you stop these two 6’10 offensive juggernauts?

Not sure about JT, but I think Ime has a good idea how to sweep a KD led squad. Trade away our backbone (JB and Marcus) and we get to see soft basketball again.

I’d like to keep Marcus, but do remember Ime swept a shallow Nets team with no 3rd cog.  Had Harden been there may have been different.
I’m concerned about year 3 and beyond but I will convince myself that if this deal happens it’s because Brad thinks year 3 and beyond will be without JB anyway.

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

Mike

I agree. If Brad and Jaylen have had conversations about this, then I commend both of them for being up front. We were able to come back from losing Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford for nothing. I'm not sure that'd be the case with Brown.

I'd love for Brown to fully commit and declare his love for Boston, but knowing he can't sign a true max extension, I may get an ulcer over the next two years thinking about if he may walk when he is an UFA.
The ulcer is coming regardless.

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2022, 10:09:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm curious, how do you define "certain"?

One of Danny's mistakes was not trading Kyrie when it looked very likely that he was on the way out.  Does "certain" only apply to 100%, or is it more loose, like 80% certain?

I'm in the "more likely than not" group.  If there's a 51% chance JB is leaving, I'd deal him for Durant.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2022, 10:10:02 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Honestly if Marcus Smart is the player that is preventing this from happening I'm somewhat shocked.

I'd argue that White is more valuable if we get KD. Smart and KD in the same locker room to me would be a ticking time bomb. No chance those two can coexist.

White knows his role on this team, and with a core of KD and Tatum we need guys that are just that - those who know their roles.. Smart unfortunately is not, and has never been that player.

Again, i would NOT trade Jaylen for KD to begin with - but now I feel like we are forced to. If Smart is the piece preventing it from happening, if everything else is equal, to me is idiotic.

That’s why I think this really may happen. It doesn’t seem that the counter is far off from the original offer - if the reporting is accurate. Seems to me if both sides want something to happen they’re close enough that it will.

The thing thats ironic is how there have been multiple reports through the years of Smart and Brown clashing and not getting along, again speculation but with enough 'evidence' that kind of backs the theory.

The Nets want to keep them paired? If the goal is to get (and retain) Brown - you want to trade him with the guy he already can't stand?

The Nets just showcased one of the softest products in NBA history. They’re now looking to improve by getting two of the toughest players in the league. They want to trade two soft players (KD and Seth Curry) to get this done.

Why would Boston bail them out? As conciliatory act for the Paul Pierce/KG heist?

This is silly. KD doesn’t make the Cs worse. He’s legit a top 5 guy in the league. You can certainly debate on the cost of getting him but saying KD makes the Cs worse is crazy talk. He’s have a KG like impact on this team and elevate everyone else, including JT.

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2022, 10:12:41 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Brown just liked a tweet from a Celtics fan that says, “No matter what happens I love you”

Wow - getting to feel like this is happening isn’t it?

That’s the feeling I got seeing that as well

If nothing else it’s confirmation that the talks are happening.

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

This is silly. KD doesn’t make the Cs worse. He’s legit a top 5 guy in the league. You can certainly debate on the cost of getting him but saying KD makes the Cs worse is crazy talk. He’s have a KG like impact on this team and elevate everyone else, including JT.

I disagree that he is top 5. I think Tatum is better, without the age, baggage, or sensitive nature.

I prefer Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, Lebron, Luka, and Tatum. KD is certainly a top 5 talent. I think the malcontent BS drags him down.

Honest question- can KD handle Ime’s coaching? He couldn’t handle Atkinson’s.

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2022, 10:13:43 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

One of Danny's mistakes was not trading Kyrie when it looked very likely that he was on the way out.  Does "certain" only apply to 100%, or is it more loose, like 80% certain?

I'm in the "more likely than not" group.  If there's a 51% chance JB is leaving, I'd deal him for Durant.
Even for talks to get this far - i.e. Shams and Woj report it - should we assume that this is correct?  There are no dummies among Celtics managment and ownership and you would assume that they know their players better than anyone.

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2022, 10:16:00 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Me too. And 51% seems like a decent bet.

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2022, 10:16:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Brad is looking at KD having 4 years left on his contract. Not whether Jaylen is going to bolt after 2 years. That’s impossible to predict and frankly irrelevant. He’d probably still trade him for KD if Jaylen were to extend today. It’s the other stuff (Smart vs White) that will get in way of deal.

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2022, 10:18:40 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Like many have said…if JB has given any inclination he doesn’t resign you have to move him now. We held only Kyrie too long and it cost them.

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2022, 10:20:54 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

KD is not KG from a leadership and mental standpoint, not even close. There's no denying his skill set, but he has the mental toughness of a paper towel. Bolts OKC after GSW comes back on them, bolts GSW after his Draymond tiff, gbolting Brooklyn because they wouldn't pay his buddy (after getting a good coach fired at that), social media spats with fans and pundits, and even burner accounts to defend himself.

KG was unique in the sense of how much he wanted to win a title. That guy cared about winning above everything else. KD is a diva and that's what we'd get. He may change the culture but as he's shown in Brooklyn, it won't be like KG did.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2022, 10:21:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I think this is the point.  We are talking about a contract that runs for two more seasons.  No player can assure an organization that they are going to want to resign in 2 years or assign a percentage to it.   So if Brown says that he is all in, can't wait to run this back and take another shot at the finals, may be open to resigning but also may test the market (which is the normal thing for any player to say at this point), what do you do with that?

I tell you what I would do, I would say OK Great Jaylen, we are going to put the best team we can around you and let's go out a win a title, then we can check in on a future contract again next off season.

I am in the run it back again camp.  I don't want to trade for Durant.  But I would not be worrying about what Jaylen is going to do in 2 years and let that lead me to overpay for Durant.  Or rush to into some trade.  At least not this off season.  Maybe next or even the trade deadline in 2024.