Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 59391 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2022, 08:30:50 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I have said from the start of all this Durant talk that I did not think BKN would trade Durant.  I will be extremely surprised if they do trade him at all.  I would be exponentially more surprised if Durant ends up on the Celtics.

I would be a little less than exponentially surprised (but still very surprised) if the Celtics were somehow involved in a trade where Durant goes to some other team.  Sometimes you can get good value by glomming on to a larger trade.  But as I said, I don't think Durant will be traded in the first place.

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2022, 08:33:00 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
From the Athletic, Shams is reporting that Brooklyn turned down an offer of Brown, White and a draft pick. Nets want Brown, Smart, one more rotation player and draft picks.

The Boston Celtics have emerged as a real threat to acquire Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant after recently offering a package centered on one-time All-Star Jaylen Brown, sources told The Athletic.

Brooklyn rejected Boston's offer of Brown, guard Derrick White and a draft pick, sources said, and the Nets have asked for Brown, Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Smart, draft picks and potentially one more rotation player. The Celtics are currently less inclined to include Smart along with multiple player or pick assets, but are mulling over the next step in trade talks.

Boston, fresh off a trip to the NBA Finals, is currently led by a pair of star two-way wings in Jayson Tatum and Brown. But the Celtics have tremendous interest in Durant and view him as a piece that could take them over the final hurdle.

Durant requested a trade from Brooklyn on June 30, sources said, and in the month since, the 12-time All-Star has shown no change in his stance.

For more on Durant and the latest on Donovan Mitchell trade talks, read Shams Charania's "Inside Pass" here.

https://theathletic.com/news/celtics-kevin-durant-trade-nets/z4DyAITKIRqn/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2022, 08:37:13 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I’ll give you brown, white, multiple picks PP and  grant Williams. They are going to give me back Durant and curry.

Not giving up smart and brown plus picks and another rotation guy.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2022, 08:37:39 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
As an Athletic subscriber, here's the section of Shams' Inside Pass that pertains to KD and the Celtics. Doesn't tell us more than I already posted but here it is for those curious. It's not the whole article, just the section that relates to KD and the Cs.

The Celtics offered Brown, guard Derrick White and a draft pick to the Nets for Durant, sources said. The proposal was rejected, and Brooklyn has asked Boston — in any proposal — to include Brown, Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Smart, draft picks and potentially one more rotation player, those sources added. Currently, the Celtics are less inclined to include Smart along with multiple other player or pick assets, but the franchise is mulling over next steps on how to approach discussions.

As of right now, the Celtics have emerged as a serious possibility as a landing spot for Durant. They have tremendous interest in bringing him in and view him as a piece that could take them over that final hurdle. Although there is work to be done, there is a deal to be had that would suffice the Nets’ overwhelming ask.

For Boston, fresh off a trip to the NBA Finals, the opportunity to potentially land one of the greatest players in league history is one that president Brad Stevens must analyze and explore. However, the Celtics are assuredly set to be judicious and are keen on ensuring the franchise can remain a championship contender for years to come, which this current core appears to be set to do. But this is Kevin Durant, and his greatness could instantly reshape a team’s fortunes from a title contender to a title winner under the right circumstances.

No deal for Durant is imminent, and as August and then September loom, the real desire of interested teams will become clear to the Nets. Brooklyn’s front office, led by general manager Sean Marks, has set a high price on the Durant market while constructing a team that gives the organization confidence in its ability to contend should the team bring the roster, as is, into training camp. The onus is on the interested parties to come to the table on meeting the price for one of the NBA’s greatest ever players. The Utah Jazz moved Rudy Gobert to the Minnesota Timberwolves for a package including multiple players, their 2022 first-round pick in Walker Kessler, four future first-rounders and a draft pick swap — which has somewhat increased the market value for Durant and the Nets’ desire for All-Star caliber players and picks.

Nets star Kyrie Irving opted into his $37 million player option for next season, committing to the 2022-23 season with the franchise. In Brooklyn, there remains plenty to sort out — and a clearer picture promises to reveal itself as the summer rolls along — and a belief still that the best path to compete for a championship could certainly be to bring the current roster into the new season.

https://theathletic.com/3446562/2022/07/25/celtics-offer-jaylen-brown-package-for-kevin-durant-the-latest-on-donovan-mitchell-and-more-inside-pass/

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2022, 08:42:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I don’t want to give up the farm for him…we have a nice nucleus going on & just need a backup center then we ready to roll…but if they want Smart, white, Grant & picks I do that 😁

Good luck with that  :police:
I know!!! But if u the Celtics right now, who u rather have: Brown or Durant? That’s what it’s going to come down to

If it was a one for one swap then it would clearly be KD. But it won't be, that's the problem.

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2022, 08:54:31 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
With Durant & Tatum, we win a title or 2 with a small window & right ppl around us

With Tatum & Brown, we MAY go to Finals again..

C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2022, 08:55:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I really hope this is a wild rumor that has little substance, but as reported on ESPN today,

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34291954/boston-celtics-teams-engage-talks-brooklyn-nets-possible-kevin-durant-deal-sources-say

I do not want that fragile head case on a team that has worked its way through chemistry issues and seems to be in sync now.
Plus the offer would include possibly giving away as many as 5 draft picks including three first round unprotected. Of course, maybe Celtic management knows more than we do. Maybe Brad has talked to Jaylen Brown and his rumored discontent is very real.

It's not I don't want him, I don't want to give up JB or JT!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2022, 08:55:40 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Am I the only one in the world who thinks the nets are apsurd with their asking price???

I mean I would never want to trade jaylen for him, let alone sweeten the deal with picks and fillers.

He is old, jaylen is upcoming star for the next decade, plus how would KD work with JT.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2022, 09:00:39 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
You pretty much have to do the trade now.  Brown, Smart, PP or GW, 25 1st, 27 1st, 29 1st (top 4) for Durant, Curry

That makes a lot of sense for winning a title in the next 2 years
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2022, 09:02:47 AM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Am I the only one in the world who thinks the nets are apsurd with their asking price???

I mean I would never want to trade jaylen for him, let alone sweeten the deal with picks and fillers.

He is old, jaylen is upcoming star for the next decade, plus how would KD work with JT.
There is no guarantee JB will be on the Cs after two years though. Windows in the NBA change so swiftly. Player empowerment has changed how roster and team building traditionally work. Cs haven’t won a title in over a decade. They have one title on like 30 years. They need to win.

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2022, 09:06:08 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
nm
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 10:06:23 AM by colincb »

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2022, 09:07:03 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not buying it. I think the Nets and their FO is a bit desperate and are having Woj and a few other push this narrative that Jaylen was offered for KD, so other teams have to pony up a bit more too. I mean just look at how the C's also operate, the Brogdon trade for example, was there really any true rumblings about it before they pulled it off? I don't see CBS as someone who just has this leak to the media. Woj also clearly doesn't have real sources in Boston
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2022, 09:10:15 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • International Superstar
As an Athletic subscriber, here's the section of Shams' Inside Pass that pertains to KD and the Celtics. Doesn't tell us more than I already posted but here it is for those curious. It's not the whole article, just the section that relates to KD and the Cs.

The Celtics offered Brown, guard Derrick White and a draft pick to the Nets for Durant, sources said. The proposal was rejected, and Brooklyn has asked Boston — in any proposal — to include Brown, Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Smart, draft picks and potentially one more rotation player, those sources added. Currently, the Celtics are less inclined to include Smart along with multiple other player or pick assets, but the franchise is mulling over next steps on how to approach discussions.

As of right now, the Celtics have emerged as a serious possibility as a landing spot for Durant. They have tremendous interest in bringing him in and view him as a piece that could take them over that final hurdle. Although there is work to be done, there is a deal to be had that would suffice the Nets’ overwhelming ask.

For Boston, fresh off a trip to the NBA Finals, the opportunity to potentially land one of the greatest players in league history is one that president Brad Stevens must analyze and explore. However, the Celtics are assuredly set to be judicious and are keen on ensuring the franchise can remain a championship contender for years to come, which this current core appears to be set to do. But this is Kevin Durant, and his greatness could instantly reshape a team’s fortunes from a title contender to a title winner under the right circumstances.

No deal for Durant is imminent, and as August and then September loom, the real desire of interested teams will become clear to the Nets. Brooklyn’s front office, led by general manager Sean Marks, has set a high price on the Durant market while constructing a team that gives the organization confidence in its ability to contend should the team bring the roster, as is, into training camp. The onus is on the interested parties to come to the table on meeting the price for one of the NBA’s greatest ever players. The Utah Jazz moved Rudy Gobert to the Minnesota Timberwolves for a package including multiple players, their 2022 first-round pick in Walker Kessler, four future first-rounders and a draft pick swap — which has somewhat increased the market value for Durant and the Nets’ desire for All-Star caliber players and picks.

Nets star Kyrie Irving opted into his $37 million player option for next season, committing to the 2022-23 season with the franchise. In Brooklyn, there remains plenty to sort out — and a clearer picture promises to reveal itself as the summer rolls along — and a belief still that the best path to compete for a championship could certainly be to bring the current roster into the new season.

https://theathletic.com/3446562/2022/07/25/celtics-offer-jaylen-brown-package-for-kevin-durant-the-latest-on-donovan-mitchell-and-more-inside-pass/

Even just based on the leaked information it's clear that, per Occam's Razor, these sources are coming from Brooklyn to float the perceived price for Durant and maybe cause some discord in the Celtics lockerroom, but the bolded really speaks to how much of a low-rent waterboy Shams is for his sources.

(Also, at least Woj could actually string a decent sentence together, rather than being at war with the written word.
"However, the Celtics are assuredly set to be judicious and are keen on ensuring the franchise can remain a championship contender for years to come, which this current core appears to be set to do."
This is felonious abuse of a thesaurus. )

Now, it's possible that the Celtics as constructed just had their moment in the sun, like the 2012 OKC Thunder, and that the core of Smart-Tatum-Brown won't make it back to the Finals again.

But it would take a special kind of idiot to look at the reasons the Celtics came up short against Golden State and say "hey, you know what would have solved this problem? Getting rid of Jaylen and Marcus and having Kevin Durant on the squad instead."
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2022, 09:11:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You pretty much have to do the trade now.  Brown, Smart, PP or GW, 25 1st, 27 1st, 29 1st (top 4) for Durant, Curry

That makes a lot of sense for winning a title in the next 2 years

Too much.

Timelord / Horford
Durant / Gallinari
Tatum /
Curry / White
Brogdon / Pritchard

That’s an extremely talented roster, but it’s the roster we’d be stuck with, with no real avenues to upgrade. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2022, 09:17:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
It is hard to know if this is the Nets leaking to drive up the price for Durant or if the Celtics really did offer this.  I don't even think the Nets want to trade Durant but maybe they are trying to create some "buzz" just for his benefit; so Durant will believe that the Nets really are trying.  And if some ridiculous overpay of an offer is presented, who knows.

As to the Celtics, I want them to keep the core together and give this another run.  You can revisit trading Brown in the off season if for whatever reason, there are issues.  Durant at this point of his career is not the answer for the Celtics for this run.