Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 60467 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #480 on: August 10, 2022, 03:54:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
From the Yahoo Sports article:

It’s important to note that while Durant may indeed be increasingly open to new destinations after asking out and getting little traction, he has little in the way of leverage to force the situation.

I will be stunned if Durant starts the season on the Celtics.  Durant has lost his mind if this comment about Smart is true.  So Durant wants to be traded, traded only to certain teams, and he is trying to dictate which players are included in the trade?

It's the standard tactic -- trade me, but don't get too much of a return or I'll balk.  It's the ultimate way that a player screws his former franchise. 

But, here is one of the few times (as you and the article note) that the player doesn't have any leverage.  Of course, Ben Simmons didn't have any leverage, either, and he forced a trade.

Yes, by sitting out and not getting paid.  Do you think Durant is prepared to do that?

If I was BNK, I would call his bluff.  If he won't play to start the season, let him sit there and not get paid.  If that continues, trade him to the worst team that would take him.  ORL, SAC, maybe HOU.

I know he can sit out on them to dissuade a trade but that would be the showdown.  Sit on the bench and don't get paid or take a trade and play.  I think Durant would eventually say OK fine, I will play for BKN.  BKN should make it clear that they are not trading him under his terms.  Any trade will be under BKN's terms.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 04:02:59 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #481 on: August 10, 2022, 04:10:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
#JKJB

Also, go figure he has Philly on his "list". Yeah maybe he should add Milwaukee to it too!  ::) ::) ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #482 on: August 10, 2022, 04:17:09 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

It’s important to note that while Durant may indeed be increasingly open to new destinations after asking out and getting little traction, he has little in the way of leverage to force the situation.

I will be stunned if Durant starts the season on the Celtics.  Durant has lost his mind if this comment about Smart is true.  So Durant wants to be traded, traded only to certain teams, and he is trying to dictate which players are included in the trade?

It's the standard tactic -- trade me, but don't get too much of a return or I'll balk.  It's the ultimate way that a player screws his former franchise. 

But, here is one of the few times (as you and the article note) that the player doesn't have any leverage.  Of course, Ben Simmons didn't have any leverage, either, and he forced a trade.

Yes, by sitting out and not getting paid.  Do you think Durant is prepared to do that?

If I was BNK, I would call his bluff.  If he won't play to start the season, let him sit there and not get paid.  If that continues, trade him to the worst team that would take him.  ORL, SAC, maybe HOU.

I know he can sit out on them to dissuade a trade but that would be the showdown.  Sit on the bench and don't get paid or take a trade and play.  I think Durant would eventually say OK fine, I will play for BKN.  BKN should make it clear that they are not trading him under his terms.  Any trade will be under BKN's terms.

There’s things in the middle where KD can get paid and not provide Brooklyn the value it wants.  He can take it easy on defense, for instance.  He can call his own plays on offense — which would be totally consistent with his opinions about Nash as a coach.  His knee or back can hurt at some halftimes and he can sit out the second half.  Back-to-backs?  He’s turning 34 and he needs those off.

And it’s fine if the Nets win some games.  The worst thing for Brooklyn is paying $90 million in luxury tax for a play-in team again.  If he sits out and his salary is withheld, the Nets don’t owe the tax, and probably get a terrific draft pick.  Their number one hope is to get an All-Star and other pieces to make them a true contender this year, but plan B is tanking and avoiding the tax, not being a middling team and owing it.

« Reply #483 on: August 10, 2022, 04:49:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There’s things in the middle where KD can get paid and not provide Brooklyn the value it wants.  He can take it easy on defense, for instance.  He can call his own plays on offense — which would be totally consistent with his opinions about Nash as a coach.  His knee or back can hurt at some halftimes and he can sit out the second half.  Back-to-backs?  He’s turning 34 and he needs those off.

And it’s fine if the Nets win some games.  The worst thing for Brooklyn is paying $90 million in luxury tax for a play-in team again.  If he sits out and his salary is withheld, the Nets don’t owe the tax, and probably get a terrific draft pick.  Their number one hope is to get an All-Star and other pieces to make them a true contender this year, but plan B is tanking and avoiding the tax, not being a middling team and owing it.

Do you happen to know if Ben Simmons' grievance was decided or settled yet?

That could potentially be key in any Durant hold out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #484 on: August 10, 2022, 05:03:53 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I don’t think it’s been decided, but I don’t think KD needs to go down that road.  It was a little surprising Simmons did, to be frank.  He could have easily tanked it by continuing to pass up open layups, bricking his free throws, and complaining about his back.  He got paid by the Nets without playing a minute, and KD can do the same.

If Durant shows up in October  and undermines Nash at every opportunity, they can fine KD a little, but they won’t be able to not pay him for the year.  The Nets will lose if KD is on the roster October 1st.

« Reply #485 on: August 10, 2022, 05:23:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I don’t think it’s been decided, but I don’t think KD needs to go down that road.  It was a little surprising Simmons did, to be frank.  He could have easily tanked it by continuing to pass up open layups, bricking his free throws, and complaining about his back.  He got paid by the Nets without playing a minute, and KD can do the same.

If Durant shows up in October  and undermines Nash at every opportunity, they can fine KD a little, but they won’t be able to not pay him for the year.  The Nets will lose if KD is on the roster October 1st.

I don't know how realistic it is to assume that a player is going to go out on the court and not play his best on purpose just to get traded or to otherwise make a point.  That should rightfully result in being suspended anyway.  Durant already has more money than he will ever spend.  What is worse for him, to forego more money or totally damage his legacy by dogging it on the court because he wants to be traded.

You could be right, I don't know, but I would say that I would be very surprised and if he did try that, I think both the team and the league would take some action.  Isn't there some clause where the league can suspend a player for the best interest of the league or something like that?  Or is that just Goodell that has that authority?

« Reply #486 on: August 10, 2022, 05:46:09 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I don't know how realistic it is to assume that a player is going to go out on the court and not play his best on purpose just to get traded or to otherwise make a point.  That should rightfully result in being suspended anyway.  Durant already has more money than he will ever spend.  What is worse for him, to forego more money or totally damage his legacy by dogging it on the court because he wants to be traded.

You could be right, I don't know, but I would say that I would be very surprised and if he did try that, I think both the team and the league would take some action.  Isn't there some clause where the league can suspend a player for the best interest of the league or something like that?  Or is that just Goodell that has that authority?

They can take action, but the NBA CBA is definitely stronger for the players than the NFL.  KDs played 90-something regular season games in three years — if he says he’s sore and needs games off, he’s going to have a lot of injuries to point to for an arbitrator to rule in his favor.  If he’s at the post-game podium questioning coaching decisions, he’s going to make Nash’s life miserable.  If he says he’s not sure the Nets have the right players to compete, that’s going to zing around the locker room.  You don’t want an unhappy superstar on your team — that’s why teams bend over backwards for them, because when they’re unhappy, everyone is unhappy.

« Reply #487 on: August 10, 2022, 05:48:03 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Even Greenly is quiet at this point

« Reply #488 on: August 10, 2022, 06:05:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Using my 7000th post to say I'd rather have Jaylen Brown than Kevin Durant on this team next season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #489 on: August 10, 2022, 06:11:53 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
First of all, I want to keep Brown with Tatum and let them stay together for next decade.

Now, for those saying  our window is short with Tatum at 24 and Brown, 25 years old, is ludicrous. Jordan began his title run at 28 yet somehow our two young stars who are getting better each year, have limited time window.

Now, even if we did trade away Brown which I don’t want, Durant’s contract runs out at 28 years old and it is safe to say, stars will be clamoring to pair up with him as well at that time.

We will be competing for finals no matter what. I would keep Brown as I think the next few years, he will get even better.

I can see the argument that some might be making…get Durant, make a few more finals, and in a few years, a new superstar takes his place to join Tatum in his prime. But, The injury risk for me is too great, and if Durant goes down, we are stuck. I would not make the trade due to that risk plus I love Brown’s game.

The first title of this new era should be both Tatum and Brown in Green!

« Reply #490 on: August 10, 2022, 06:25:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Using my 7000th post to say I'd rather have Jaylen Brown than Kevin Durant on this team next season.

TP

Me Too!

« Reply #491 on: August 10, 2022, 06:40:17 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Here's a question.. say it does come down to Philly and Boston to land Durant.
As rosters stand I think we can all agree that we have the edge over Philly. I think if we trade for Durant we still have the better roster over Philly, if Philly lands Durant they are clearly the front runners in the East and a better team then us.

I've been against trading Brown for Durant from the start, however if by not making the trade we destroy our window for the next 4 years then I think we are backed into a corner to do so.

If that makes sense..

« Reply #492 on: August 10, 2022, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I pass on Durant, even if Philly gets him. (And I'm not even a big Jaylen fan)

KD's not the physical freak that LeBron is. At 34 he'll age drastically, perhaps not next year... but certainly the year after and so on. And that's IF he remains healthy at 35, 36, 37 plus. His window is maybe 2 years, depending which team thins themselves enough to acquire him.

The off-season that the Celtic had was perfect. Two major needs filled, plus stretching the bench a great deal. With health... we're much better than just good.

I'm just hoping for maturity to continue between the J's.

And sorry, but the hell with Brooklyn.   

« Reply #493 on: August 10, 2022, 07:22:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Here's a question.. say it does come down to Philly and Boston to land Durant.
As rosters stand I think we can all agree that we have the edge over Philly. I think if we trade for Durant we still have the better roster over Philly, if Philly lands Durant they are clearly the front runners in the East and a better team then us.

I've been against trading Brown for Durant from the start, however if by not making the trade we destroy our window for the next 4 years then I think we are backed into a corner to do so.

If that makes sense..

Health would be a major question mark for Philly as well as what they have to send back in a trade.

« Reply #494 on: August 10, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
With so much love of keeping JB, I just hope LAL wont be the ones who would acquire KD. KD playing alongside LBJ and AD would be a very formidable trio to beat. They need each other (as the two are in their past prime yet very relevant status/condition) to have a legitimate shot at the title.

Westbrook salary could be utilized to match KD's. Other teams (Miami?) could facilitate it. I'm hoping Tsai won't allow it to happen. But then...