Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 59392 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #435 on: August 09, 2022, 04:50:50 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
How about Sabonis, Barnes, Mitchell (or Keegan Murray?) plus 3 firsts for Durant?  You are not going to do much better than SAC first round picks.

Kyrie
Harris
Warren
Simmons
Sabonis

The Nets are never going to "win" a trade with Durant but if Durant thinks BKN is mismanaged, then see how he likes it in SAC.  I actually doubt that BKN has reached the point where they really want to trade Durant.  They are probably getting real close now though with this latest chatter.  I predict that they either reach a point where they do accept a trade like this or they don't trade him.  There will be no "king's ransom" trade, just a SAC Kings type of ransom.

Would Durant report to Sacramento?
and why would Sacramento do that?

I don't know if Durant would report and Sacramento is Sacramento.

If Durant wants to play that way, and is going to hold out on BKN and only accept a trade to certain teams, you reach a point where you say fine, if you won't play, we won't pay, just go home then.  At one point there were reports of a trade to MIN being discussed.  Durant probably didn't want to go there either.  He is not really giving BKN many options.

Durant is saying I know I just signed a 4 year contract but I don't want to play for you anymore and I want you to trade me.  Oh, and when you trade me, I only want to go to title contenders and make sure you don't take back too much because I want the team to still be good once I get there.

What exactly is BKN supposed to do with that?  At this point, no one is going to offer what BKN wants.  If there is no trade, what is Durant going to do?  Sit out like Simmons?  Is sitting home not getting paid better than playing for SAC  (Fox and a few other decent players)?

And given all these demands that malcontent Durant is making, some of you still want to trade for him so he can rip apart our locker room like Kyrie did ? Since the Celts traded away Isaiah and Crowder, we have struggled with team chemistry problems, until this season when everyone finally started pulling in the same direction with team success as the #1 priority. Don't go backwards.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #436 on: August 09, 2022, 04:53:33 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
How about Sabonis, Barnes, Mitchell (or Keegan Murray?) plus 3 firsts for Durant?  You are not going to do much better than SAC first round picks.

Kyrie
Harris
Warren
Simmons
Sabonis

The Nets are never going to "win" a trade with Durant but if Durant thinks BKN is mismanaged, then see how he likes it in SAC.  I actually doubt that BKN has reached the point where they really want to trade Durant.  They are probably getting real close now though with this latest chatter.  I predict that they either reach a point where they do accept a trade like this or they don't trade him.  There will be no "king's ransom" trade, just a SAC Kings type of ransom.

If Durant wants to play that way, and is going to hold out on BKN and only accept a trade to certain teams, you reach a point where you say fine, if you won't play, we won't pay, just go home then.  At one point there were reports of a trade to MIN being discussed.  Durant probably didn't want to go there either.  He is not really giving BKN many options.

Durant is saying I know I just signed a 4 year contract but I don't want to play for you anymore and I want you to trade me.  Oh, and when you trade me, I only want to go to title contenders and make sure you don't take back too much because I want the team to still be good once I get there.

What exactly is BKN supposed to do with that?  At this point, no one is going to offer what BKN wants.  If there is no trade, what is Durant going to do?  Sit out like Simmons?  Is sitting home not getting paid better than playing for SAC  (Fox and a few other decent players)?

And given all these demands that malcontent Durant is making, some of you still want to trade for him so he can rip apart our locker room like Kyrie did ? Since the Celts traded away Isaiah and Crowder, we have struggled with team chemistry problems, until this season when everyone finally started pulling in the same direction with team success as the #1 priority. Don't go backwards.

I think you’re right and I don’t think too many here have been advocating for the trade.

« Reply #437 on: August 09, 2022, 05:02:24 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • International Superstar
The more I think on it, the more I think it’s a no-lose situation. Though I have doubts that JB,DW and a 1st is really on the table, the Cs roster will be worth getting excited about either way.

How many of you will go into the season angry and brooding if they start the year with KD in the starting lineup?   Seriously - this will be the closest we’ve had to that true contender feeling since 2009-10.  That’s whether the rumored trade goes through or not.

I will. It’s been much more fun to root against KD since he left OKC.

Hah! Dang - now I want to see what you’ll really do.

:laugh: It'll evaporate by tipoff of game 1. All else being equal, though, I'd rather watch the Celtics win without KD than with him.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #438 on: August 09, 2022, 05:07:19 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The more I think on it, the more I think it’s a no-lose situation. Though I have doubts that JB,DW and a 1st is really on the table, the Cs roster will be worth getting excited about either way.

How many of you will go into the season angry and brooding if they start the year with KD in the starting lineup?   Seriously - this will be the closest we’ve had to that true contender feeling since 2009-10.  That’s whether the rumored trade goes through or not.

I will. It’s been much more fun to root against KD since he left OKC.

Hah! Dang - now I want to see what you’ll really do.

:laugh: It'll evaporate by tipoff of game 1. All else being equal, though, I'd rather watch the Celtics win without KD than with him.

Yes - me too!

« Reply #439 on: August 10, 2022, 08:03:28 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Now even more evidence that the Celtics should want nothing to do with Kevin Durant, I have to assume that Stevens learned a very painful lesson trying to deal with the ultimate malcontent, Kyrie Irving.

After reading reports about Durant's recent meeting with Net's ownership and management, he does not appear to be any better than Irving. Both completely self-centered malcontents who will eventually find something to be dissatisfied about. Supposedly Durant and Irving had a big voice in the hiring of Steve Nash as well as the firing of Kenny Atkinson, who was doing a very solid job with a young, team-oriented group. Now they supposedly think he is an awful coach and that Sean Marks needs to go as well.

Durant even defended his mentally-ill buddy, Irving, by describing him as a no-nonsense "baller" who just wants to focus on playing the game he loves. Both guys are about as far from that description as you can get. Durant then gave Net's owner, Joe Tsai, an ultimatum to choose between him and the Coach & GM. They go or I go and, oh yeah, Kyrie don't like them either. Nothing like a team-first selfless attitude. Of course, he showed what a gutless fraud he was a long time ago, when he jumped ship on the Thunder.

The Celts will be selling their souls if they trade for Durant, just like they did with Irving.

I get that most CS members are against this idea. Just hoping the same is true of Celtic management.
They need to put an end to the Durant rumors publicly, for the sake of player morale and team unity.
Can you imagine the change in the locker room energy if Kevin Durant walks in the first day of camp and Jaylen is gone ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #440 on: August 10, 2022, 08:15:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Now even more evidence that the Celtics should want nothing to do with Kevin Durant, I have to assume that Stevens learned a very painful lesson trying to deal with the ultimate malcontent, Kyrie Irving.

After reading reports about Durant's recent meeting with Net's ownership and management, he does not appear to be any better than Irving. Both completely self-centered malcontents who will eventually find something to be dissatisfied about. Supposedly Durant and Irving had a big voice in the hiring of Steve Nash as well as the firing of Kenny Atkinson, who was doing a very solid job with a young, team-oriented group. Now they supposedly think he is an awful coach and that Sean Marks needs to go as well.

Durant even defended his mentally-ill buddy, Irving, by describing him as a no-nonsense "baller" who just wants to focus on playing the game he loves. Both guys are about as far from that description as you can get. Durant then gave Net's owner, Joe Tsai, an ultimatum to choose between him and the Coach & GM. They go or I go and, oh yeah, Kyrie don't like them either. Nothing like a team-first selfless attitude. Of course, he showed what a gutless fraud he was a long time ago, when he jumped ship on the Thunder.

The Celts will be selling their souls if they trade for Durant, just like they did with Irving.

I get that most CS members are against this idea. Just hoping the same is true of Celtic management.
They need to put an end to the Durant rumors publicly, for the sake of player morale and team unity.
Can you imagine the change in the locker room energy if Kevin Durant walks in the first day of camp and Jaylen is gone ?

There's a huge distinction between Durant and Irving, though.  Durant shows up to play, Kyrie doesn't.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #441 on: August 10, 2022, 08:16:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Kyrie
Harris
Warren
Simmons
Sabonis

After hearing about his "it's me or them" demand to Joe Tsai, demanding Tsai fire Nash and Marks in exchange for him staying, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Talent is only one part of what makes a champion team. The rest of it is chemistry with teammates, support for the organization and the organizational structure and alignment with the overall goal. You can build a team of champions but there's no guarantee it will become a championship team. I just think it's too risky, introducing that element into a team culture that looks like it's working right now.

Now we can qualify that by saying that so far, KD has been professional in terms of meeting his contractual obligations. But I will be watching closely if he suits up for Brooklyn's first game and plays under Nash, given that he was trying to get Nash fired. I think awkward would be the most generous of the terms we can use for that situation. If he ends up doing a Simmons and sitting out to create pressure, I think he moves into the toxic category.

I think the reason nobody is publicly putting a stop to rumors is because public statements rarely put a stop to rumors that media members and player agents with their own agendas float out. Fans will always speculate, especially during the offseason when there's nothing else to talk about except potential trades and this is one of the biggest possible ones. As long as the team knows what the score is, I think that's good enough. Also, I'm sure Brad is keeping his options open, just in case there's a 0.0001% chance he actually pulls the trigger on this.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:22:08 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #442 on: August 10, 2022, 08:27:48 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I just have a sneaky feeling a Jaylen Brown/Kevin Durant trade does happen. Gut but where there is smoke there is fire. And yes the smoke could be Durant’s camp, Nets camp and artificial but I think ownership/leadership is eager to win now and with Durant (assuming Brown is the only major loss) we have improved odds to win now.

Brogdon
Smart
Tatum
Durant
Williams III

Bench: White, Horford, Gallinari, Williams

That’s a dang good team…

« Reply #443 on: August 10, 2022, 08:41:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I just have a sneaky feeling a Jaylen Brown/Kevin Durant trade does happen. Gut but where there is smoke there is fire. And yes the smoke could be Durant’s camp, Nets camp and artificial but I think ownership/leadership is eager to win now and with Durant (assuming Brown is the only major loss) we have improved odds to win now.

Brogdon
Smart
Tatum
Durant
Williams III

Bench: White, Horford, Gallinari, Williams

That’s a dang good team…

To make a legal trade, you have to subtract somebody else.  Either Smart, White, or both Williams and Pritchard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #444 on: August 10, 2022, 08:55:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
After hearing about his "it's me or them" demand to Joe Tsai, demanding Tsai fire Nash and Marks in exchange for him staying, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

It's interesting how these stories are presented to the public by the media, which in turn shapes the entire narrative.

It's unlikely that Durant and Tsai had a two-sentence interaction in their meeting.  I have no idea about what was discussed, but we got a very short summary of that meeting.

It can definitely be framed as a "demand" that was essentially "it's me or them".

But, an equally plausible scenario, couched a little more softly:  After some pleasantries, Tsai asked Durant what was bothering him, and if there would be a scenario under which he'd like to stay in Brooklyn.  Durant said, "I like my teammates.  I like the facilities, I like the city, I love the ownership group.  Everything here is first class.  But, I'm getting old, man.  I just don't have a lot of patience, and I don't like the direction of the franchise.  I've given it a shot, but I just don't trust Steve Nash's decision making.  He got thoroughly outcoached by Ime Udoka in a series that I think should have been more competitive.  And Marks, he's a good man, but I don't think he's building the right type of team.  Things just seem unsettled here.  So, I'm being candid with you, I just don't think I'll feel completely comfortable with Nash and Marks still here. 

Tsai:  "Are you saying you'd stay if those two were fired?"

Durant:  "Yeah, I'd at least give it a shot.  I just want to be in a position to win championships, and to feel like we're all moving in the same direction".

If that was the conservation, it could have still been distilled down to the "me or them" narrative, but it lacks all kinds of context. 

That's more a comment on the media than on Durant trade rumors, but it's something that I try to think about when seeing these reports.  Unless they involve Kyrie.  Then I just automatically assume the absolute worst.

« Reply #445 on: August 10, 2022, 09:05:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Who do you think has more value nationally, Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram?  They have to be thought of similarly I would think.  So if the Pelicans do in fact have Ingram on the table, then it makes a lot of sense why Boston would have to have Brown on the table to field a competitive offer.  The real question would be what other pieces are involved.  If the Pelicans are putting Herb Jones on the table, and the draft picks they have from the Lakers and Bucks, wouldn't those at least potentially have more value than either New Orleans own picks or Boston's picks. 

Durant

for

Ingram
Jones
Hayes
Lakers or Pelicans 23 (Pelicans have swap rights)
Lakers 24 or 25 (Pelicans have option which year)
Bucks 25
Blazers 25
Bucks 27

If something like that is on the table (or potentially on the table), Boston more than likely has to do Brown, Smart, Grant, and at least 2 1st's if not 3 to even get in the door.  Maybe that is too much to give up, but that is why that is the trade being talked about.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #446 on: August 10, 2022, 09:10:08 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
After hearing about his "it's me or them" demand to Joe Tsai, demanding Tsai fire Nash and Marks in exchange for him staying, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

It's interesting how these stories are presented to the public by the media, which in turn shapes the entire narrative.

It's unlikely that Durant and Tsai had a two-sentence interaction in their meeting.  I have no idea about what was discussed, but we got a very short summary of that meeting.

It can definitely be framed as a "demand" that was essentially "it's me or them".

But, an equally plausible scenario, couched a little more softly:  After some pleasantries, Tsai asked Durant what was bothering him, and if there would be a scenario under which he'd like to stay in Brooklyn.  Durant said, "I like my teammates.  I like the facilities, I like the city, I love the ownership group.  Everything here is first class.  But, I'm getting old, man.  I just don't have a lot of patience, and I don't like the direction of the franchise.  I've given it a shot, but I just don't trust Steve Nash's decision making.  He got thoroughly outcoached by Ime Udoka in a series that I think should have been more competitive.  And Marks, he's a good man, but I don't think he's building the right type of team.  Things just seem unsettled here.  So, I'm being candid with you, I just don't think I'll feel completely comfortable with Nash and Marks still here. 

Tsai:  "Are you saying you'd stay if those two were fired?"

Durant:  "Yeah, I'd at least give it a shot.  I just want to be in a position to win championships, and to feel like we're all moving in the same direction".

If that was the conservation, it could have still been distilled down to the "me or them" narrative, but it lacks all kinds of context. 

That's more a comment on the media than on Durant trade rumors, but it's something that I try to think about when seeing these reports.  Unless they involve Kyrie.  Then I just automatically assume the absolute worst.

Solid post Roy, this can probably be true for most situations in the 140 character limit era. TP.

« Reply #447 on: August 10, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Who do you think has more value nationally, Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram?  They have to be thought of similarly I would think.  So if the Pelicans do in fact have Ingram on the table, then it makes a lot of sense why Boston would have to have Brown on the table to field a competitive offer.  The real question would be what other pieces are involved.  If the Pelicans are putting Herb Jones on the table, and the draft picks they have from the Lakers and Bucks, wouldn't those at least potentially have more value than either New Orleans own picks or Boston's picks. 

Durant

for

Ingram
Jones
Hayes
Bucks 25
Blazers 25
Bucks 27

If something like that is on the table (or potentially on the table), Boston more than likely has to do Brown, Smart, Grant, and at least 2 1st's if not 3 to even get in the door.  Maybe that is too much to give up, but that is why that is the trade being talked about.

I can guarantee you the Pelicans aren’t making anywhere near that kind of offer.

« Reply #448 on: August 10, 2022, 09:29:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I wonder if KD ultimatum does hurt his ability to gain trust of owners , GM s and even coaches. As in who wants to bring a guy on a plane who will grab the controls and crash the plane.

Can players of the NBA not be liable for breech of contract ?  the franchise should seek compensation for a total disregard or honor  of a contract ?

I think the player as a corporation doing business has an expectation to follow though or pay compensation.

« Reply #449 on: August 10, 2022, 09:32:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Durant

for

Ingram
Jones
Hayes
Bucks 25
Blazers 25
Bucks 27

I can guarantee you the Pelicans aren’t making anywhere near that kind of offer.
As of yesterday they were interested and still linked to Durant (at least according to Pelicans reporters).  For that to exist, they have to be willing to part with Ingram (and he doesn't make enough for it to just be him).  So yeah, maybe it isn't all those draft picks, but even 2 or 3 with Ingram tops a Brown, White, 1st offer, or at least arguably does because Ingram and Brown are similar and White is kind of bleh. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip