Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 60328 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2022, 08:40:59 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Can someone explain why we should bail BKN out? The Celtics have built an exciting young team in an organic fashion. They were able to draft JB because BKN got impatient and traded future assets for a win/now scheme that failed. Almost 10 years later, their team is a mess.

Stay patient, don’t get distracted by bright lights, and focus on improving your team one step at a time (like Brogdon signing). Get rich quick schemes don’t generally work. I bet the Clippers would love having SGA right now, after having nothing to show for their big splashes.

KD isn’t going to get healthier as he ages….

« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2022, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
I don't see Brooklyn getting anywhere close to what they're  asking. Durant is great, but for how much longer? And why does a team give up a young stud like Brown who is 2-3 years from his prime. Boston needs to pursue a solid backup big and they're  set.

« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2022, 12:09:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A new new rumor:

Jared Weiss: If Boston can make just a Jalen Brown swap with another good point guard -and they have so many point guards now with the Malcolm Brogdon trade- and it’s just like one draft pick or something like that. That seems like a deal that you would offer for Kevin Durant. I understand that if you’re willing to part with Jalen obviously… and the price gets steeper. And you know, I heard from several sources now that the offer that got out there isn’t even the highest offer Boston’s put out there. I guess there was more bidding early on, Brooklyn sat on it and then the price fell through the floor… It looks like they screwed up playing their hand on that one. I don’t think the offers are going to get any better especially if Brooklyn wait this out to training camp. If they go to training camp with KD still on board I don’t really see the offers getting that much better. – via Apple Podcasts

I wonder what Jared considers a "source".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2022, 12:15:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
A new new rumor:

Jared Weiss: If Boston can make just a Jalen Brown swap with another good point guard -and they have so many point guards now with the Malcolm Brogdon trade- and it’s just like one draft pick or something like that. That seems like a deal that you would offer for Kevin Durant. I understand that if you’re willing to part with Jalen obviously… and the price gets steeper. And you know, I heard from several sources now that the offer that got out there isn’t even the highest offer Boston’s put out there. I guess there was more bidding early on, Brooklyn sat on it and then the price fell through the floor… It looks like they screwed up playing their hand on that one. I don’t think the offers are going to get any better especially if Brooklyn wait this out to training camp. If they go to training camp with KD still on board I don’t really see the offers getting that much better. – via Apple Podcasts

LOL, one thing I know is that Jared is not one of my sources.

« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2022, 12:54:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
A new new rumor:

the Brooklyn Nets Reddit page apparently

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2022, 01:07:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
A new new rumor:

the Brooklyn Nets Reddit page apparently

It wouldn't shock me.  Shira Springer once cited a CelticsThug rumor in the Globe (without attribution, calling it a "source").

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2022, 01:30:42 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
If KD is worth it (he's not), why would JB make a decision to not resign based solely on his inclusion in trade talks? If KD is truly a top 3 player (he's not), wouldn't JB be willing to acknowledge that this is a business and be flattered that he's being compared to an all time great (he is)?

I don't think a lot of NBA players think like this, especially all-stars.

After watching him improve consistently since he was drafted, I want JB to be the face of the Celtics. I like JB more than Tatum (bc of defense), and I realize how good Tatum is. Tatum is more talented, and maybe this won't happen, but these two players can be really good together for a long time.

The Celtics basically played 7 guys in the Finals. They now have depth by adding Brogdon and Gallinari. Hopefully Robert Williams plays more. They have improved.

Everyone knows that KD>JB. Kawhi was better than JB, as was Paul George. There have been endless trade rumors with the Celtics because they have young, attractive talent. These players are much older than JB.

There's really no debate on this: If JB wants out, then Brad should trade him for KD.

The real debate: Does Jaylen Brown want out of Boston? His social media posts? His words? His choice of agent?

The real winner in this: ESPN, as there's now buzz in the middle of summer. I'm ok with this- I was getting bored.

« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2022, 01:33:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I like JB more than Tatum (bc of defense)

You think so?  I like Tatum's defense quite a bit better than Brown's.  I get the sense that Brown *should* be better on defense, but isn't.

« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2022, 01:39:09 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

You think so?  I like Tatum's defense quite a bit better than Brown's.  I get the sense that Brown *should* be better on defense, but isn't.

I think Tatum's defense has definitely improved, prob at a faster clip than Brown's. I don't think either player is done improving. I think that Tatum is the better overall player, though I think Jaylen was a better player in the playoffs/finals.

Also, another point: Durant plays here for 2 years, then leaves for greener pastures. Where does this leave the Celtics and Tatum? Looking to sign a FA or Tatum leaving for better opportunities? If we are to doubt JB's commitment to Boston, why do we think Tatum is here forever?

« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2022, 01:39:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Jayson's defense is really, really underrated.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2022, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
A new new rumor:

The more that comes out the more it seems that the only team who really believes in trading whatever it takes to get Durant… is the Nets.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2022, 03:10:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Celtics willingness to trade Brown plus for Durant seems tacit admission that Front Office is not confident Tatum can be best player on a championship team. No one has said this. But when you look at the last 10 tears of champions, each team was led by a guy who is top 3-5. Curry. Giannis. Kawhi. KD.  Lebron. Dirk. Tatum is really good. But he’s not in that category. KD still is.

I don’t want to trade JB. I love JB. But management is under a lot of pressure to get ring.

« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2022, 03:23:57 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Celtics willingness to trade Brown plus for Durant seems tacit admission that Front Office is not confident Tatum can be best player on a championship team. No one has said this. But when you look at the last 10 tears of champions, each team was led by a guy who is top 3-5. Curry. Giannis. Kawhi. KD.  Lebron. Dirk. Tatum is really good. But he’s not in that category. KD still is.

I don’t want to trade JB. I love JB. But management is under a lot of pressure to get ring.

I wouldn’t look at it like that.  I think the way to look at it is they think Durant is better than Jaylen next year, and given the team was just in the finals, that marginal difference could be worth a ring, maybe two.  Tatum could be better than Durant as early as next season — he’s on the cusp — but they wouldn’t be upgrading from Tatum, but rather Jaylen.

I still don’t like to for a number of reasons, but I think that would be the logic.  I also remain completely unconvinced that this was ever a “real” offer.

« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2022, 03:28:42 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

They made the finals last year, and everything about this team is trending up from there. If Tatum hadn't run out of gas we'd have probably won a title.

This seems like a great way to mess it all up.

« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2022, 03:32:19 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

No one has said this because there's no real basis to think that unless you just want to take a jab at Tatum. The offseason started with us adding bench pieces to our current core, not seeking out a new #1 option. So that clearly wasn't a priority. But it's not often a player of Durant's caliber becomes available and the team inquired. I expect most of the league inquired.

Jayson has become an All-Star at a younger age than all of the players you mentioned except Lebron. He and KD were the same age. He's not a finished product and it seems premature to write off how good he can be.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman