Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 60279 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2022, 06:26:56 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
"Until that price is met, right now Brooklyn’s stance is 'We're not moving Kevin Durant.’”

NBA Insider
@ShamsCharania
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2022, 06:49:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Seems this offer getting out is Nets getting frustrated by offers. The current offers don't compare to the C's and the C's offer is not enough for the Nets. They are still waiting for something big.

« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2022, 06:49:06 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
"Until that price is met, right now Brooklyn’s stance is 'We're not moving Kevin Durant.’”

NBA Insider
@ShamsCharania

Would not be surprised if another team got a drive-by "sources say" tweet by Shams or Woj in a couple weeks if they still aren't getting what they want.

This was posturing.

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2022, 07:05:53 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

NBA Insider
@ShamsCharania

He said as much in his first story that got everyone hot and bothered.

Shams can’t write, which should be problematic for his profession, but people can do a better job parsing his gibberish.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2022, 08:33:31 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Celts offer to Brooklyn could still work with a 3rd team coming in.

Brooklyn could get Donovan Mitchell. Question is if Danny would willingly take Jaylen and White/Smart plus picks from both teams.

« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2022, 08:53:58 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Celts offer to Brooklyn could still work with a 3rd team coming in.

Brooklyn could get Donovan Mitchell. Question is if Danny would willingly take Jaylen and White/Smart plus picks from both teams.

Brooklyn can’t get Mitchell because of Ben Simmons.

« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2022, 08:56:41 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
There’s no way Woj and or Shams go to print with this without confirmation on both sides. So this is real, and to me the concern is that Jaylen, who just signed with Kanye West, has made it clear he wants to be the man somewhere else.

This isn't how media works (even in newsrooms, but especially in sports*). All you need is one "source" and to request anyone mentioned for comment (hence "X did not immediately respond to requests for comments" in a lot of news articles these days). Someone from Brooklyn definitely said this, but the Celtics are notoriously tight-lipped and prob just shot back a "we don't comment on rumors." And a Brooklyn "source" saying this doesn't even mean it's necessarily true.

*Examples of media not getting "confirmation on both sides": Woj said Al Horford was going to sign with a different team in 2016 and got this year's #1 pick incorrect. Shams is a huge team mouthpiece for certain organizations (see: Kyrie, KD) in exchange for the inside scoop on their transactions. It's a shady business that people take at face value far too often.

Horford's brother:
Big Bad
@JoshHorford
Y’all are confidently trusting the same sources that said the Celtics had a huge team argument early in the season when they were really just having a normal team breakfast ****
https://twitter.com/JoshHorford/status/1551638083363274753?s=20&t=QILkDFWbRgSYqGAscps5ow

« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2022, 12:20:10 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
This is probably a title team if KD wants to be here and wants to be the big brother to JT, although we really ought to subsequently send out a TPE/picks for another center given Timelord’s history:

BOS In: KD
BKN In: JB, D-White, multiple picks/swaps

It actually lowers our cap by $1.5 mil. It is hard to envision Brooklyn getting a better deal.

Can you imagine how incredible JT and KD at the 2-3 would be? And check out the rotations:

Smart/Brogdon/Pritchard
Tatum/Brogdon/Pritchard
KD/Batman
Horford/Batman/Gallinari
Timelord/Gallinari/Batman

Obviously we are a hard-no if they ask for Batman, too (three key players is too much of a step back given the uncertainties associated with KD).

I’ve gone back and forth every spare moment today on whether I would do JB + Smart. The answer is no unless JT would prefer retaining D-White over Smart. Smart is our heart and soul. With KD here, Smart will smarten up when we’re struggling and not feel like he has to play hero. He would really take his decision-making and PG skills to the next level playing alongside JT/KD (sometimes alongside Brogdon). What a sight!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:50:02 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2022, 12:45:15 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
IF Brown wants out, make the fu##ing deal!

Far as Nets go, if Durant said no trade to Boston there would be no offers exchanged let alone leaked to Media

My only concern is an overpay!
I offer Brown GWilliams + end of the bench Players to match salary

I believe White and or Smart is to much

« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2022, 01:28:40 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
This is probably a title team if KD wants to be here and wants to be the big brother to JT, although we really ought to subsequently send out a TPE/picks for another center given Timelord’s history:

BOS In: KD
BKN In: JB, D-White, multiple picks/swaps

It actually lowers our cap by $1.5 mil. It is hard to envision Brooklyn getting a better deal.

Can you imagine how incredible JT and KD at the 2-3 would be? And check out the rotations:

Smart/Brogdon/Pritchard
Tatum/Brogdon/Pritchard
KD/Batman
Horford/Batman/Gallinari
Timelord/Gallinari/Batman

Obviously we are a hard-no if they ask for Batman, too (three key players is too much of a step back given the uncertainties associated with KD).

I’ve gone back and forth every spare moment today on whether I would do JB + Smart. The answer is no unless JT would prefer retaining D-White over Smart. Smart is our heart and soul. With KD here, Smart will smarten up when we’re struggling and not feel like he has to play hero. He would really take his decision-making and PG skills to the next level playing alongside JT/KD (sometimes alongside Brogdon). What a sight!

They're already a hard no with what you just mentioned.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2022, 02:49:54 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Listening to Tim Bontemps on the Lowe Post will make you feel a lot better about the current Brown situation.

According to Bontemps, by all accounts, Jaylen is very happy to be a member of the Celtics and fully expects him to sign a long term contract when his contract is up. Bontemps also stated that he does not believe a Brown for Durant swap is going to happen and that the talks were far more casual than what’s being reported today.

This all on the latest Lowe Post
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2022, 03:16:40 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Brooklyn is insane if they turned that offer down. Who exactly are the Celtics bidding against in this theoretical trade? I keep hearing the Heat, Suns, and Raptors mentioned. Bam and Booker are the only guys out of that bunch who are on Jaylen's level. And I highly doubt those clubs would pull the trigger. Ayton, Bridges, Herro, Anuoby, Siakam etc are fine players but aren't potential top-15 guys like Brown.

Brown was the second-best player in the NBA Finals.  Getting a young established star - with additional upside - PLUS another starter PLUS a pick? It's unheard of. Contending teams aren't going to gut their roster for a temporary, modest-at-best upgrade.

Color me skeptical about this whole report. This might make sense if KD was 29. But he's old and injury prone. IMO Brooklyn is justifiably getting mediocre offers and want to drive up the price. Either that or they don't want to trade Durant and are putting on a show to make it look like they tried.

« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2022, 03:56:02 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Shaking my head
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2022, 08:06:10 AM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
This is probably a title team if KD wants to be here and wants to be the big brother to JT,
How many players has Durant been a "big brother" too?
Durant couldn't push the Nets over the line, or even out of the 1st round. Why would he be what pushes a gutted team that made the Finals last season over the line this season? Knowing that a particular defense and chemistry is what got that team there in the 1st place.
Trading JB for KD is the Jeff Green for Perk trade all over again. Learn from past mistakes and don't do it Brad.

« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2022, 08:34:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Brooklyn is insane if they turned that offer down. Who exactly are the Celtics bidding against in this theoretical trade? I keep hearing the Heat, Suns, and Raptors mentioned. Bam and Booker are the only guys out of that bunch who are on Jaylen's level. And I highly doubt those clubs would pull the trigger. Ayton, Bridges, Herro, Anuoby, Siakam etc are fine players but aren't potential top-15 guys like Brown.

Brown was the second-best player in the NBA Finals.  Getting a young established star - with additional upside - PLUS another starter PLUS a pick? It's unheard of. Contending teams aren't going to gut their roster for a temporary, modest-at-best upgrade.

Color me skeptical about this whole report. This might make sense if KD was 29. But he's old and injury prone. IMO Brooklyn is justifiably getting mediocre offers and want to drive up the price. Either that or they don't want to trade Durant and are putting on a show to make it look like they tried.

I am not so sure they are insane.  See the real issue is that they don't want to trade Durant in the first place.  They are going to play the game, listen to offers, and then go to Durant and say we tried, couldn't trade you, now how about we try and make this work with Kyrie and Simmons?

I am not sure Durant even still wants to be traded.  But BKN is going to have a really hard time "winning" a trade where they send out Durant.  If they can get Durant and Kyrie on the court, they are going to be a good team.  If they can get anything decent out of Simmons, they might be a really good team.

If I was BKN, I would not want to trade Durant either.  It is Simmons they probably are going to end up needing to trade.  But may as well try and make it work then see where you are at heading into the trade deadline.  Maybe dump Simmons then.