Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 60120 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2022, 12:42:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
For me, if JB says he won’t or isn’t sure if he will re-up year after next, you make the trade. Otherwise you don’t. 

JB, White, Grant and a 1-2 firsts or JB, Smart and 1 first round pick for KD.

I hope that JB wants to be in Boston long term, but my gut is telling me that he doesn’t.  :-\

Brown would be under no obligation to make a commitment to Boston at this time, and even if he did he can always change his mind. Brad would have to make a judgment call on that.

Sure, but he also doesn't have to present Brown as an offer for a Durant trade, risking alienating him even further.

It's one thing to ask for what Brooklyn wants, and if they say they want Brown and other's, then you make the call. But it's another to present the offer. Regardless of what Jaylen wants in the next two years, by being offered, it just shows that Brad thinks his future is elsewhere. That's not a good look.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2022, 12:45:29 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Unless Jaylen is already signaling he won’t extend, this is just a malicious rumor.

The Celtics rebuffed trading an undeveloped, pre-All Star, pre-20+ PPG Jaylen to trade him at 25, just entering his prime plus additional assets for a 35 year old, injury prone KD?

We’re already the preseason favorites to win the title and have seen teams with superior depth and chemistry start to dominate the shallower star driven teams, but we’re trying to trade our superior depth and chemistry for a shallower star driven team?

It’s laughable. The fact that Woj reported this means that the Nets leaked false info on a slow news day and dried up KD trade market to try to get under Jaylen’s skin and cause a rift in the team.

« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2022, 12:49:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
For me, if JB says he won’t or isn’t sure if he will re-up year after next, you make the trade. Otherwise you don’t. 

JB, White, Grant and a 1-2 firsts or JB, Smart and 1 first round pick for KD.

I hope that JB wants to be in Boston long term, but my gut is telling me that he doesn’t.  :-\

Brown would be under no obligation to make a commitment to Boston at this time, and even if he did he can always change his mind. Brad would have to make a judgment call on that.

Sure, but he also doesn't have to present Brown as an offer for a Durant trade, risking alienating him even further.

It's one thing to ask for what Brooklyn wants, and if they say they want Brown and other's, then you make the call. But it's another to present the offer. Regardless of what Jaylen wants in the next two years, by being offered, it just shows that Brad thinks his future is elsewhere. That's not a good look.

Why do people consider this will alienate him? This is a business and I'd be shocked if Brad didn't speak to Jaylen about possibly hearing his name in Durant talks. It's not as if Brad just offering Jaylen to every team. And if you believe Brian Windhorst, these aren't even recent talks.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2022, 12:51:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Unless Jaylen is already signaling he won’t extend, this is just a malicious rumor.

The Celtics rebuffed trading an undeveloped, pre-All Star, pre-20+ PPG Jaylen to trade him at 25, just entering his prime plus additional assets for a 35 year old, injury prone KD?

We’re already the preseason favorites to win the title and have seen teams with superior depth and chemistry start to dominate the shallower star driven teams, but we’re trying to trade our superior depth and chemistry for a shallower star driven team?

It’s laughable. The fact that Woj reported this means that the Nets leaked false info on a slow news day and dried up KD trade market to try to get under Jaylen’s skin and cause a rift in the team.

Can you think of an example where both Woj and Shams were wrong in something that they reported?  Obviously, both carry water for front offices and agents, but they also have a vested interest in being reliable.  If they printed outright lies, I think that there would be backlash.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2022, 12:53:40 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
I LOVE JB! but he on has 2 years left on current contract, KD has 4.  It Makes me think of this:
Looking Back at the Kevin Garnet trade, Would you DO it All Over Again For the 1 Title??
I would!  I believe We would win a Title with KG and JT if We don't give up Too Much in the Trade.
So my answer is that I guess I would do it for 1 title.  Tough one though!

« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2022, 12:56:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I LOVE JB! but he on has 2 years left on current contract, KD has 4.

And KD is asking for a trade before that 4 year extension even kicks in. Years left is pretty meaningless at this point.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2022, 01:06:59 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Brown posts photo hanging with Kyrie....Brown gets traded to Kyrie. ha 8)
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2022, 01:07:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Cost is too high. Deal is a non-starter.

Jaylen for Durant is fine. Smart & G Will on top of Jaylen is too high a price. The deal will need D White as salary filler with another perimeter player returning from BKN to fill our rotation. Maybe Seth Curry or Royce O'Neale.

Jaylen straight up for Durant is a fair and good trade given the age difference. No need for adding multiple quality assets on top of that. At that point it becomes no longer worth the risk given Durant's old age.

« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2022, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
5/28/2023 Nets Beat Celtics, win series in 6

Jaylen Brown and Kyrie Irving combined for 65 points, as the Brooklyn Nets beat the Boston Celtics to win the Eastern Conference title.

The key to the series was the defense of Brown and Simmons on Tatum and Durant. The irony was not lost on Boston fans as they watched the Nets assume the defensive identity that served the Celtics so well last year, with Brown and Marcus Smart driving a change in culture, combining with Ben Simmons, Royce O'Neil and Nic Claxton to slow down the power duo of Durant and Tatum enough to win the series.

« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2022, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Can you think of an example where both Woj and Shams were wrong in something that they reported?  Obviously, both carry water for front offices and agents, but they also have a vested interest in being reliable.  If they printed outright lies, I think that there would be backlash.

Has Woj actually said that the c's offered Jaylen Brown? From the article:

The Celtics appear no closer to acquiring Durant than others in discussions with the Nets, but Boston's ability to include All-Star forward Jaylen Brown as a centerpiece in offers does help make the team formidable in its pursuit, sources said.

The key wording being "Boston's ability to include" which is 100% not the same as "Boston has included."

Later on he continues:

"but Boston is able to construct a package for Durant that could include Brown..."

Nowhere does he actually say the C's have offered Brown, and he's done the same thing in his interviews on ESPN. He is very carefully choosing his words. Brown "could" be included, "discussions center on Brown." All of which could mean the c's have actually offered Brown, or the Nets asked for him and were shot down. In any even connecting the Celtics and Brown to trade discussions clearly benefits the Nets because he is now easily the bets player currently linked to the discussions.

Now Shams is different, he flat out states the packages offered. But he isn't getting that from the C's, he's getting it from the Nets because there's no way the c's want this leaked.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 01:24:24 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2022, 01:22:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Now Shams is different, he flat out states the packages offered. but he isn't getting that from the C's, he's getting it from the Nets because there's no way the c's want this leaked.

While probably true, that doesn't make the reporting inaccurate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2022, 01:24:08 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

I don't think they're lying. I think there's truth to these trade talks.

If KD is worth it (he's not), why would JB make a decision to not resign based solely on his inclusion in trade talks? If KD is truly a top 3 player (he's not), wouldn't JB be willing to acknowledge that this is a business and be flattered that he's being compared to an all time great (he is)?

If JB is an actual malcontent and doesn't like JT, Marcus, Brad or Ime, then trade him. I think only Brad knows this. I don't think Woj or Shams know this.

« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2022, 01:25:54 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Now Shams is different, he flat out states the packages offered. but he isn't getting that from the C's, he's getting it from the Nets because there's no way the c's want this leaked.

While probably true, that doesn't make the reporting inaccurate.

It also doesn’t make it complete.

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2022, 01:27:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
“I know that it came out today so it’s front of mind, but from what I understand those are not fresh talks,” ESPN’s Brian Windhorst told Arizona Sports’ Bickley & Marotta on Monday.  Windhorst also elaborated on what he believed was Brooklyn’s stance in current negotiations after Durant’s trade demand.

“Right now the Nets’ viewpoint is: If they can’t get their price, they’re going to ride out the storm,” Windhorst said. “They could start the season with Durant or that could be a negotiating stance.”

MassLive analysis: Boston has made a number of moves in recent weeks involving bolstering their current roster, including trading for Malcolm Brogdon and signing Danilo Gallinari in free agency. The question that remains now is whether the Celtics have walked away from the negotiating table since their reported offer for Durant or if these talks remain fluid or could be revisited.

However, Windhorst’s report is another example of the likelihood that the timing of these leaks were purposeful. Brooklyn is either looking to drum up better offers or perhaps damage a rival’s relationship with their star by floating out Jaylen Brown’s name in trade talks.

Either way, this will be a fascinating situation to watch unfold in the coming days and weeks. Brad Stevens has operated in the shadows largely so far during his tenure as president of basketball operations but these Durant reports have changed that in this one instance. No matter what the end result is with Durant, Boston may need to do some damage control with the names involved in these rumored talks.

« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If KD is worth it (he's not), why would JB make a decision to not resign based solely on his inclusion in trade talks? If KD is truly a top 3 player (he's not), wouldn't JB be willing to acknowledge that this is a business and be flattered that he's being compared to an all time great (he is)?

I don't think a lot of NBA players think like this, especially all-stars.