Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 20715 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2022, 09:34:57 AM »

Online lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Sean Deveney @SeanDeveney
about 10 minutes ago
The @Boston Celtics center @Robert Williams has had no setbacks or pain after grinding his way through the postseason, I was told. Plan is to rest for 6 weeks & next month he will report to @SanfordPOWER in Irvine, Cal, to get season-ready.

TP. That’s great news.

I guess there is always that thought or question that are they risking making things really worse by asking a player to "grind it out" and contribute to a playoff run.  Isaiah Thomas' hip comes to mind.  Not that anyone knows for sure if continuing to play was the cause or if the hip had just worn out anyway but there is always that question with this sort of thing.

To be honest, this kind of release is not all that reassuring to me.
Isaiah Thomas was found to have had a congenital hip problem that aggravated the hip injury the Celtics thought would heal by the playoffs. Until Rob is also diagnosed with a congenital problem, I don't think it is fair to compare the two. This does indeed sound like good news, though I understand taking a "wait n see" approach.

So, what is the diagnosis ?

With all the medical technology we have now, can they not at least figure out the specific problem Williams is dealing with ?

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2022, 09:42:21 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Sean Deveney @SeanDeveney
about 10 minutes ago
The @Boston Celtics center @Robert Williams has had no setbacks or pain after grinding his way through the postseason, I was told. Plan is to rest for 6 weeks & next month he will report to @SanfordPOWER in Irvine, Cal, to get season-ready.
. I am Not sure if this is serious? He had surgery to repair a torn Meniscus?

TP. That’s great news.

I guess there is always that thought or question that are they risking making things really worse by asking a player to "grind it out" and contribute to a playoff run.  Isaiah Thomas' hip comes to mind.  Not that anyone knows for sure if continuing to play was the cause or if the hip had just worn out anyway but there is always that question with this sort of thing.

To be honest, this kind of release is not all that reassuring to me.
Isaiah Thomas was found to have had a congenital hip problem that aggravated the hip injury the Celtics thought would heal by the playoffs. Until Rob is also diagnosed with a congenital problem, I don't think it is fair to compare the two. This does indeed sound like good news, though I understand taking a "wait n see" approach.

So, what is the diagnosis ?

With all the medical technology we have now, can they not at least figure out the specific problem Williams is dealing with ?
I think that the diagnosis is that there is does not appear to be any underlying chronic issue with his knee like there was with Thomas’ hip. That part of the report to me is reassuring. But just because he is not feeling any pain in his knee right now doesn’t mean his durability issues in general or specific to that knee are going to be behind him next season.  It is certainly good news that he has no soreness in his knee; much better than if he did have soreness. But you don’t really expect there to be soreness anyways.

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2022, 09:46:47 AM »

Online lbgreen33

• Derrick White
He had Meniscus surgery? He Powered through the recovery, they want to make sure that didn't create any issues. Sounds like it didn't, great news.

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2022, 09:59:57 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
The Celtics had given Brodric Thomas a qualifying offer for a 2-way, which he hadn’t yet accepted.  With Kabengele and Davison taking both of the 2-ways, I’m assuming that QO will be rescinded.
How does that work? Was there a time limit on the offer?

Unless JD was elevated into the regular roster?

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2022, 10:45:36 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Kabengele is eager to learn from the frontcourt players currently on the roster, including veteran Al Horford.

“The first day when I see Al, I’m going to be like, ‘Hey, can I get your number? Let’s do lunch. How do you do what you do? Because you’re really good at it,'” Kabengele said, via Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe.

“I think my main goal is to work on my skill and my craft, and whatever manifests out of that I’ll be happy with,” he said. “I don’t want to put a bar on anything. So if Boston likes what I do and I continue to progress, hopefully something happens. And I’m going to keep working on my game.”

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2022, 10:58:21 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Kabengele is eager to learn from the frontcourt players currently on the roster, including veteran Al Horford.

“The first day when I see Al, I’m going to be like, ‘Hey, can I get your number? Let’s do lunch. How do you do what you do? Because you’re really good at it,'” Kabengele said, via Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe.

“I think my main goal is to work on my skill and my craft, and whatever manifests out of that I’ll be happy with,” he said. “I don’t want to put a bar on anything. So if Boston likes what I do and I continue to progress, hopefully something happens. And I’m going to keep working on my game.”

Can’t ask for a better statement.

For those who know his game outside of SL, what would you give as reasons he hasn’t made it to this point and why we could be optimistic about his potential to play solid minutes in the NBA.

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2022, 11:50:56 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
For those who didn’t catch the Summer League games, here are some highlights from recently signed Mfiondu Kabengele.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aI1T2uDQNIw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtlQwLqzrF4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHGDWXduNYc&t=5s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=grKb3-aGIak

At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2022, 11:56:02 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
Kabengele getting a two-way instead of one of the final standard contracts makes me wonder if we see a trade today or tomorrow for a veteran center. Not sure if the budget's there, but there's a handful of centers out there who should be available for Pritchard or less if you don't have to match salary.

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2022, 12:09:24 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Kabengele getting a two-way instead of one of the final standard contracts makes me wonder if we see a trade today or tomorrow for a veteran center. Not sure if the budget's there, but there's a handful of centers out there who should be available for Pritchard or less if you don't have to match salary.

I hope so. Karalis is speculating that the roster spot is going to Matt Ryan.

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2022, 12:41:46 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Can’t ask for a better statement.

For those who know his game outside of SL, what would you give as reasons he hasn’t made it to this point and why we could be optimistic about his potential to play solid minutes in the NBA.

I think he was a bit of a pandemic casualty.  His rookie season was with Doc and the Clippers, and was cut short by the pandemic.  He had the bubble, but they were focused on the playoffs and not developing him (rightly), but this has no real summer of offseason work.  Sophomore year, more pandemic; since he wasn’t sent to the G-League bubble and instead just sat on the Clippers bench until bouncing Aron d the last month of so of the season.

Last year he seemed to find something in the G-League, and it carried over to the summer.  I don’t think he’s a great prospect, but I do think he’s got more than he showed in his first NBA opportunity.  I think there are probably a few from the 2019 and 2020 draft classes who have similar stories with development and opportunity being upended in part due to Covid.  Matt Ryan is another player in this category.

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2022, 12:51:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 10:21:37 AM by colincb »

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2022, 12:52:24 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Pickings are slim. One name I haven’t heard as a possible target is Cody Zeller. He is 29 with career averages of 8pts/6rebs while playing 22mpg. Cody was getting 13mins off the bench for Portland last season before suffering a knee fracture in January. The injury report said it would be 8-10 weeks for recovery and the trailblazers shut him down for the year after that.

Lemarcus Aldridge wouldn’t be a bad option as well for 10-15mpg.

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2022, 12:52:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Celtics had given Brodric Thomas a qualifying offer for a 2-way, which he hadn’t yet accepted.  With Kabengele and Davison taking both of the 2-ways, I’m assuming that QO will be rescinded.

Is there a link for this? I haven't found one in a brief search so far.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

If you scroll down you can see the QO to Thomas.

Also here:

https://twitter.com/JShawNBA/status/1542230748169703425

and

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1542259387686948864?s=21&t=UKSDHiyoVbyAcGKTD0tIPg

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2022, 01:00:36 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

Pickings are slim. One name I haven’t heard as a possible target is Cody Zeller. He is 29 with career averages of 8pts/6rebs while playing 22mpg. Cody was getting 13mins off the bench for Portland last season before suffering a knee fracture in January. The injury report said it would be 8-10 weeks for recovery and the trailblazers shut him down for the year after that.

Lemarcus Aldridge wouldn’t be a bad option as well for 10-15mpg.

So, you're not wrong about pickings being slim, but (again, and it's a significant if) if the budget is there any/all of Olynyk, Nerlens Noel, Derrick Favors, and maybe Zach Collins should be available for cheap and fit into the TPE. Maybe you could get one of Powell or Kleber out of Dallas for a bit more considering the summer they had.

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2022, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 10:19:58 AM by colincb »