Author Topic: Donte DiVincenzo  (Read 3490 times)

Re: Donte DiVincenzo
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 07:24:59 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Very poppy kinda guy, would be a great pickup.

We can afford him with TPE right?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2022, 11:09:26 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I’m meh on him..we need height cause Al is older & can’t depend on TimeLord health

It doesn't have to be a choice between talent and height. Donte can likely be had for a bargain price, that's the point. He's a rotation-quality wing, which the Celtics also need.

As a matter of fact I'd argue that that's more critical than getting a fourth rotation-quality big. That's why they got Theis at the deadline last year; and he provided valuable minutes. In fact, Ime uses Grant Williams frequently in big/swing lineups, further reducing the need for getting yet another rotation-quality big.

The value of bigs in this modern era is at its lowest since the beginning of the league.

Ironically, Milwaukee gave up DiVincenzo to get a backup big; but Ibaka played sparingly. I don't want to diminish the importance of having backups, even if they aren't getting court time. But the Bucks could have used another rotation wing in the playoffs with Middleton out. I think it was a mistake.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 11:26:27 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 11:25:41 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Would not mind getting him without giving up anything.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Would not mind getting him without giving up anything.

Exactly. Since he's unrestricted, it's only a question of finding the price point.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2022, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I’m meh on him..we need height cause Al is older & can’t depend on TimeLord health

It doesn't have to be a choice between talent and height. Donte can likely be had for a bargain price, that's the point. He's a rotation-quality wing, which the Celtics also need.

As a matter of fact I'd argue that that's more critical than getting a fourth rotation-quality big. That's why they got Theis at the deadline last year; and he provided valuable minutes. In fact, Ime uses Grant Williams frequently in big/swing lineups, further reducing the need for getting yet another rotation-quality big.

The value of bigs in this modern era is at its lowest since the beginning of the league.

Ironically, Milwaukee gave up DiVincenzo to get a backup big; but Ibaka played sparingly. I don't want to diminish the importance of having backups, even if they aren't getting court time. But the Bucks could have used another rotation wing in the playoffs with Middleton out. I think it was a mistake.
this.  if the price is minimal, he's a great pick up.  not sure how high I'd go to sign him without seeing how he's recovered but he's much better than the players at the end of our bench who contributed nothing

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2022, 02:49:16 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

this.  if the price is minimal, he's a great pick up.  not sure how high I'd go to sign him without seeing how he's recovered but he's much better than the players at the end of our bench who contributed nothing

This is where I am. It’s all a question of money. If the price is right it’s an opportunity to lengthen the rotation and lighten the load on Jayson and Jaylen over the long season.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2022, 03:41:23 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Very poppy kinda guy, would be a great pickup.

We can afford him with TPE right?

If you mean poppy, as in a Popovich kind of guy, I agree.

He’s unrestricted, so it’s a question of what his market will bear and how much tax Boston wants to spend.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 03:48:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
i am all for getting Donte DiVincenzo.  He just seemed like a guy the C's could use.  pretty good shooter, explosive at times with the ball on drives, looks like a good defender from what I have seen.  Can def get hot and score the basketball at times too.

He may only be 6'4" but he has a 42" vertical, I mean he can jump.  So I don't think his height isn't as big of a deal.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
i am all for getting Donte DiVincenzo.  He just seemed like a guy the C's could use.  pretty good shooter, explosive at times with the ball on drives, looks like a good defender from what I have seen.  Can def get hot and score the basketball at times too.

He may only be 6'4" but he has a 42" vertical, I mean he can jump.  So I don't think his height isn't as big of a deal.

He's a Three and D guy, might be better in the role than PP, also might free PP up as an asset to be dealt. 

From a fansided article about the Bulls going after him: 

"Donte DiVincenzo is a 3-and-D player that can solve a lot of the Bulls’ problems in their second unit. He has good size and championship pedigree, serving as a key part in building the Bucks’ culture during their championship run."

Seems, that's kind of what we need.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2022, 03:59:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

He's a Three and D guy, might be better in the role than PP, also might free PP up as an asset to be dealt. 

"Donte DiVincenzo is a 3-and-D player that can solve a lot of the Bulls’ problems in their second unit. He has good size and championship pedigree, serving as a key part in building the Bucks’ culture during their championship run."

Sign him up!!!  He is basically what we all want Nesmith to be, if Nesmith was good right now.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 04:21:38 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
C’s have enough 6’4” guards. He’s an average shooter as well. Team needs a wing.

I don't understand what you're saying. He's a wing. Current thinking divides players into ballhandlers, wings, swings, and bigs. We know that Brad Stevens thinks in these terms - although he subsequently left out swings.

An outstanding defender who shoots league average from three and gets to the line is a valuable commodity.

He’s not a wing. He’s a 6’4” SG. C’s need someone 6’6”+ that can backup Tatum. Donte Is not that guy.

Ah. A teachable moment.

Shooting Guards and Small Forwards have been known as wings for generations. It goes back to when your three fastest players would attack on the break: point guard in the center, and shooting guard and small forward on either wing - hence the name.

It has long been recognized that shooting guards and small forwards had more in common with each other, despite their names, than with either point guards or power forwards.

Nowadays those antiquated terms are gradually falling out of use. Instead of point guards, there are ballhandlers; instead of shooting guards and small forwards there are wings; instead of centers and power forwards we have bigs; and there is another type called the swing, who is a bigger player with the game of a wing who replaces the traditional power forward.

I can’t tell why you think Tatum specifically needs a backup. Last season it was basically Jaylen Brown who backed him up, which makes perfect sense.

The typical lineup was Smart/White/Brown/Grant/big, in other words two ballhandlers, a wing, a swing, and a big.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:29:52 PM by Hoopvortex »

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2022, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I've liked him for a while and think he'd be a great pickup!

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 04:49:01 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Sign him up!!!  He is basically what we all want Nesmith to be, if Nesmith was good right now.

I think Nesmith could be a scorer off the bench - one of those needs that Brad identified in his press conference last week. He’s got moves with the ball and a paint repertoire.

Was this season his Sophomore Slump? Let’s hope so.

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2022, 05:37:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I think Nesmith could be a scorer off the bench - one of those needs that Brad identified in his press conference last week. He’s got moves with the ball and a paint repertoire.

Nesmith needs to hit the three. If he was hitting 3 at 40% then he'd be playing.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2022, 06:27:27 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Nesmith needs to hit the three. If he was hitting 3 at 40% then he'd be playing.

It couldn't have hurt him, but his defense didn't help. It works the other way, too; it's easier to be consistent with your long-range shot if you get consistent minutes.

He shot .370 in his rookie season, which was a notch above league-average. And, for what it's worth, he shot .700 on long 2's this year. Those are good indicators for next season.