Author Topic: Hello Hauser: 3 years, $6 million  (Read 5530 times)

Re: Bye, bye Hauser....
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 08:44:17 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Good end of the bench asset. He’s 6’8” and his shooting is not some fluke. He shot 43% on 700+ attempts in college, hit 41% on super high volume in GLeague, and stepped right in at 43% with the Celts. He’s been lights out for 5 years straight.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t see a future starter or anything, but there’s a clear place on a roster for a cheap young guy with size and elite 3PT shooting.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 09:17:21 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Really surprised that some people are sarcastically scoffing at this.

The Celtics are trying to position themselves for a multi-year run. They’ll be picking at the very end of the first round, assuming they keep their picks. That means they’ve got to try and find cheap young talent wherever they can find it. You know, like Gary Payton Jr and Jordan Poole.

As others have mentioned, if the Heat can develop Duncan Robinson and Max Strus back to back, that should tell you something. I actually really liked what I saw from Hauser in the short time we saw him last year. It’s not just the shooting, it’s also the cutting, the rebounding, and the ability to play team basketball. He never looked lost. Most importantly, he looked like a passable defender, which is a huge step forward from the scouting report out of college.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 09:24:06 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

The Celtics are trying to position themselves for a multi-year run. They’ll be picking at the very end of the first round, assuming they keep their picks. That means they’ve got to try and find cheap young talent wherever they can find it. You know, like Gary Payton Jr and Jordan Poole.

As others have mentioned, if the Heat can develop Duncan Robinson and Max Strus back to back, that should tell you something. I actually really liked what I saw from Hauser in the short time we saw him last year. It’s not just the shooting, it’s also the cutting, the rebounding, and the ability to play team basketball. He never looked lost. Most importantly, he looked like a passable defender, which is a huge step forward from the scouting report out of college.

I agree with all that. I thought Hauser looked good in minuscule minutes. That shot looks sweet.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 09:30:08 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Keith Smith: The Boston Celtics have declined their $1.6M team option for Sam Hauser, a league source tells @celticsblog and @spotrac. Boston will make Hauser a restricted free agent and look to work out a longer deal, per a source. 4 hours ago – via

Restricted Free Agent.  He is likely not going anywhere.

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 10:00:01 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Keith Smith: The Boston Celtics have declined their $1.6M team option for Sam Hauser, a league source tells @celticsblog and @spotrac. Boston will make Hauser a restricted free agent and look to work out a longer deal, per a source. 4 hours ago – via

Restricted Free Agent.  He is likely not going anywhere.

Yup.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 10:42:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don’t care what guys like Young and Nesmith do in practice or G league or even junk time.

We need guys who can make a shot / get a bucket during an actual game off the bench and play a few minutes to give Brown and Tatum a 5-10 minute break.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 10:59:20 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
My concern with this move is what sort of contract he’s going to get next.  Is he going to get a 2-year minimum that’s got more guaranteed?  Or are they going to use part of the MLE to sign him for longer?  I’m fine with this if he’s getting the 2-year minimum, or even just signs the qualifying offer.  But if he takes up part of the MLE that we should be using on someone higher in the rotation, that’s a mistake.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 11:05:08 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I don’t care what guys like Young and Nesmith do in practice or G league or even junk time.

We need guys who can make a shot / get a bucket during an actual game off the bench and play a few minutes to give Brown and Tatum a 5-10 minute break.

Getting cheap guys who are familiar is one of the better ways to do that. Hauser is a mature player with size and shooting that we can get cheap for multiple years.  You can’t just get “proven” players at that price.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2022, 06:03:52 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbachabout 53 minutes ago

According to a league source, the Celtics are expected to agree to a multi-year deal with Sam Hauser when the dust clears in the coming days, too. Boston made that route pretty clear when it declined Hauser's team option for next year.

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 06:06:19 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
He's a consistent 43% 3 point shoot in low minutes and different teams and settings. If Nesmith shot like Hauser he'd still be here.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 06:07:19 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbachabout 53 minutes ago

According to a league source, the Celtics are expected to agree to a multi-year deal with Sam Hauser when the dust clears in the coming days, too. Boston made that route pretty clear when it declined Hauser's team option for next year.

Yeah, with Gallo getting the MLE, Hauser will likely get a two year minimum deal, fully guaranteed in year 1 and probably a partial/quick guarantee in year 2.  This would mean the Celtics would have full Bird rights in two summers, when he’d still be a restricted free agent.

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 06:39:34 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
He's a consistent 43% 3 point shoot in low minutes and different teams and settings. If Nesmith shot like Hauser he'd still be here.

Well Nesmith would be in the 8-9 man rotation if he shot like Hauser.  I am sorry it didn't work out for Nesmith here.

I am hopefuly for Hauser.  His stroke looked really good all season, but we didn't see it enough.  But that is what happens when you are buried in the bench on a good team.

It will probably take an extended injury to one of our rotation players to get Hauser any minutes.

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2022, 07:25:58 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Well Nesmith would be in the 8-9 man rotation if he shot like Hauser.  I am sorry it didn't work out for Nesmith here.

I am hopefuly for Hauser.  His stroke looked really good all season, but we didn't see it enough.  But that is what happens when you are buried in the bench on a good team.

It will probably take an extended injury to one of our rotation players to get Hauser any minutes.

I'm hoping for many blowouts next season and many Hauser minutes.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2022, 08:01:32 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

BANE!!!!

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2022, 08:13:48 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

I agree with all that. I thought Hauser looked good in minuscule minutes. That shot looks sweet.

In recent years watching guys we expected to "get it" from 3 who didn't (Carsen; Aaron), here is a guy who can hit his shot.  Home grown sharpshooter will be a great addition to the rotation.  Probably doesn't get rotation minutes next year but it wouldn't shock me if he did.