Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 103180 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2022, 08:07:31 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
An upcoming MVP season for Luka Doncic? He looks to be in the best shape of his career.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2022, 08:29:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Murray to the Hawks for Gallo, 3 firsts, and one swap.

There's no way I think Murray will succeed next to Young. Feel bad for him really.

We could've matched that...

It would have been Smart + 3 first round picks. Not sure that makes the Cs better than other moves they could make (not sure yet what those are, but Murray isn't some superstar that makes sense trading all those assets for, in my book).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2022, 08:39:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Donte Di Vincenzo is now an unrestricted free agent. I remember he was linked to the Cs at the trade deadline last season. Would he be a good fit now?

He would be a good fit. Probably goes back to The Bucks. Another Kings move.

I could see him on the Cs. It's players like him that we need. Patty Mills would be another. The really solid bench players....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2022, 08:44:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Donte Di Vincenzo is now an unrestricted free agent. I remember he was linked to the Cs at the trade deadline last season. Would he be a good fit now?

I could see him on the Cs. It's players like him that we need. Patty Mills would be another. The really solid bench players....

Mills was kinda disappointing for the Nets last year. Vulnerable on D, easily exposed with his lack of size. Good but unexceptional offense. Not as much of a sparkplug as in year's past. Certainly not as dominant as in International Ball with Australia.

I don't want to be too harsh on him because the roster construction was rough. A lot of small-ball combinations on the perimeter and sharing the court with other PGs in small backcourts. Not ideal for performance.

Still, I can't help but wonder about a 33 soon to be 34 year old undersized PG who is reliant on his quickness. Without that quickness he is just a 3 point shooter - a very good one but one dimensional.

« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2022, 08:51:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Mills was kinda disappointing for the Nets last year. Vulnerable on D, easily exposed with his lack of size. Good but unexceptional offense. Not as much of a sparkplug as in year's past. Certainly not as dominant as in International Ball with Australia.

I don't want to be too harsh on him because the roster construction was rough. A lot of small-ball combinations on the perimeter and sharing the court with other PGs in small backcourts. Not ideal for performance.

Still, I can't help but wonder about a 33 soon to be 34 year old undersized PG who is reliant on his quickness. Without that quickness he is just a 3 point shooter - a very good one but one dimensional.
Double digit points, 7 three point attempts per game at 40%, and barely any turnovers.

I don't think he's worth big money simply due to age and size, but I don't think he was bad by any means. Just limited by Brooklyn. He can still shoot with the best of them
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2022, 09:24:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
League source confirms report by @JakeLFischer that Celtics are interested in signing Danilo Gallinari if he is waived by San Antonio.

I would love to get Huerter from Atlanta. He would add some punch off the bench and could fit into the TPE. Then use the MLE for best available.

I like Huerter more than Gallo for BOS.

Huerter fits more of a need at SG/SF. Gallo is bigger and slower. He and G-Will overlap too much. There will be more diminished returns there.

« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2022, 09:29:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

There's no way I think Murray will succeed next to Young. Feel bad for him really.

It would have been Smart + 3 first round picks. Not sure that makes the Cs better than other moves they could make (not sure yet what those are, but Murray isn't some superstar that makes sense trading all those assets for, in my book).

Why do you say that? SAS clearly didn't want any salary back which is why they got Gallo who they can waive for $5M. It definitely wouldn't have required Smart and 3 1sts. Either just 3 1sts and our TPE or Smart and one 1st, with Smart going to another team and them sending two 1sts to SAS.

Note: I am not in favor of trading Smart under any circumstance, just wanted to counter the Smart and 3 1sts point.

« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2022, 10:04:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why do you say that? SAS clearly didn't want any salary back which is why they got Gallo who they can waive for $5M. It definitely wouldn't have required Smart and 3 1sts. Either just 3 1sts and our TPE or Smart and one 1st, with Smart going to another team and them sending two 1sts to SAS.

Note: I am not in favor of trading Smart under any circumstance, just wanted to counter the Smart and 3 1sts point.

I think SAS would rather have two ATL #1s and a CHA #1 than three of our picks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2022, 10:11:51 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Is Patty Mills much of an upgrade from Pritchard?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2022, 10:43:44 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Celtics assistant Will Hardy has been named the head coach of the Jazz. From what I understand he was our offensive guru, and we already needed better offensive performance as is.

https://apple.news/AwbcP6Dm8TlCTixF7ciWhWw
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2022, 10:45:45 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Celtics assistant Will Hardy has been named the head coach of the Jazz. From what I understand he was our offensive guru, and we already needed better offensive performance as is.

So...blessing in disguise? haha

(Though when we were good, our offense was real good)

« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2022, 10:50:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Is Patty Mills much of an upgrade from Pritchard?

I'm not sure he is. Pritchard is the better defender of the two. Both are high quality spot up shooters. Mills is a better shooter off the dribble.

How much is that offensive gap in Mills favour? Is it more than the defensive gap? Is worth the MLE and losing the opportunity to sign a player who is a larger upgrade?

But Pritchard is young and still improving while Mills is old and declining ... even if the gap is in Mills favour, for how much longer will that be the case? 1yr? Less? Will Pritchard close the gap next year?

« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2022, 09:37:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
OKC turn down team option for Lu Dort. He will be a restricted FA. OKC is expected to match MLE offers.

« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2022, 09:39:57 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Brad needs to be on the phone with Mike D'Antoni. He and Ime worked together in Brooklyn, wonder if he'll be interested in a lead assistant opening for the EC champs.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2022, 09:43:29 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Yep. That is what is frustrating. We always think Boston is going to be a factor in the off-season and in the end they just make very minor moves. I’m not asking for a lot but if management thinks PP, Nesmith and Hauser are the answers off the bench then we are done.

I agree if they don't do much I will not feel good going into the offseason.  They 100% need scorers.  Warren, Donte, Patty, Gallo etc.  one of these players would be great.  Warren and Donte I'd like.  Should be lower cost but high upside.  A fully healthy Warren this year we've possibly have won.  20pt scorer off the bench as a wing to help JB and JT get some rest.  Sign me up.  I would rather find another big then multiple wings.  If we have too many wings someone isn't going to play.  I like our guard rotation of JB, Marcus, DWhite and PP.  Wing rotation of JT, JB (Warren)  Big rotation of Al, Timelord and (enter player here)  Mo Bamba could be a good 3rd option but I'm sure someone will give him a shot to develop with minutes.