Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 105523 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #390 on: July 05, 2022, 07:37:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I was wondering what the Spurs looked like after trading Dejounte Murray, picking up Roby and re-upping Dieng.

G: Tre Jones
G: Devin Vassell, Josh Richardson, Romeo Langford, Primo
F: Keldon Johnson, D.McDermott, Bates-Diop
F: Sochan, Roby
C: Poeltl, Zach Collins, Dieng

They have a few other names on their roster page but I don't who they are. Roberd Woodard, DJ Stewart, Devontae Cacok, Joe Wieskamp, Malaki Branham, Blake Wesley. I assume some of these guys are draft picks, trade throw-ins and riff-raff from last year's debacle of a season.

It is a strange and untalented team.

Keldon Johnson is the only quality starter on their team. Then Poeltl and maybe Josh Richardson as the 2nd and 3rd best players. No PGs on the squad other than a guy who played 16mpg last year and can't shoot. Sochan, the rookie, is an interesting young dynamic defensive forward. Vassell, two years into his career, still hasn't shown much.

Candidate for worst team in the league?

« Reply #391 on: July 05, 2022, 07:47:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Current roster shouldn't be final one. If it was maybe they go with Romeo as the backup PG? He used to be solid at distribution and ball handling. He never got a shot here at is. The other option is Richardson at PG. Could curve his score mentally and make him more tradeable.

« Reply #392 on: July 05, 2022, 07:59:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Current roster shouldn't be final one. If it was maybe they go with Romeo as the backup PG? He used to be solid at distribution and ball handling. He never got a shot here at is. The other option is Richardson at PG. Could curve his score mentally and make him more tradeable.

Yeah, I was thinking about Josh Richardson at PG too. They could have one big body center and then 4 big athletic wing / forward types trying to force turnovers and get easy points. A defensive orientated team looks their best short term bet for winning games.

« Reply #393 on: July 05, 2022, 07:59:17 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Spurs are making a hard push for Wembanyama.  The Celtics need two teams to out-tank Houston to get an early 2nd, and I’m pleased the Spurs look up to the task.

« Reply #394 on: July 05, 2022, 08:02:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I was wondering what the Spurs looked like after trading Dejounte Murray, picking up Roby and re-upping Dieng.

They have a few other names on their roster page but I don't who they are. Roberd Woodard, DJ Stewart, Devontae Cacok, Joe Wieskamp, Malaki Branham, Blake Wesley. I assume some of these guys are draft picks, trade throw-ins and riff-raff from last year's debacle of a season.

Keldon Johnson is the only quality starter on their team. Then Poeltl and maybe Josh Richardson as the 2nd and 3rd best players. No PGs on the squad other than a guy who played 16mpg last year and can't shoot. Sochan, the rookie, is an interesting young dynamic defensive forward. Vassell, two years into his career, still hasn't shown much.

They are blatantly tanking the season for Wembanyama

« Reply #395 on: July 05, 2022, 08:05:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

They are 100% in on Wembenyama. I'm pretty sure Tony Parker is involved in the team he plays for too.

Chet Holmgren just measured at 7'1" for OKC's S/L team. This is Wembenyama next to him...

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #396 on: July 05, 2022, 08:40:11 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I read the Spurs are really high on Primo and want to try him at PG. Branham and Wesley are first rounders they just took the other week. So they have a ton of young wings they need to develop.

« Reply #397 on: July 05, 2022, 10:05:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

Branham was the 20th pick in the draft.  One and done from Ohio State (Big Ten rookie of the year, All Freshman Team, and 3rd Team All Conference).  Also just another kid from Akron (and yes he even went to Lebron's high school).  Nice shooting touch.  Athletic.  He should be a pretty decent pro. 

Wesley was the 25th pick in the draft out of Notre Dame.  Also a one and done (ACC 2nd Team and All Freshman Team).  Not as good a shooter as Branham, but got to the line at a pretty good clip. 

Rest of the guys have no real potential, though Cacok and Wieskamp were on the Spurs last year. Cacok actually played a game for the Lakers the year they won the title and was on their team the following year as well before the Spurs - so he may actually have a championship ring. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #398 on: July 05, 2022, 10:28:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Branham was the 20th pick in the draft.  One and done from Ohio State (Big Ten rookie of the year, All Freshman Team, and 3rd Team All Conference).  Also just another kid from Akron (and yes he even went to Lebron's high school).  Nice shooting touch.  Athletic.  He should be a pretty decent pro. 

Wesley was the 25th pick in the draft out of Notre Dame.  Also a one and done (ACC 2nd Team and All Freshman Team).  Not as good a shooter as Branham, but got to the line at a pretty good clip. 

Rest of the guys have no real potential, though Cacok and Wieskamp were on the Spurs last year. Cacok actually played a game for the Lakers the year they won the title and was on their team the following year as well before the Spurs - so he may actually have a championship ring.
Yeah, Branham and Wesley are both solid rookie guys. There does seem to be a bit of redundancy though, lots of guard/wing types on that roster.

Cacok is an NBA champ, yes. Hilarious. However, despite the very small sample size last season, he played genuinely really good defence. Might be worth keeping.

« Reply #399 on: July 05, 2022, 10:53:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
With Branham now in the league, Akron's all time pick up team is getting pretty good.

PG - Stephen Curry
SG - Chuck Noble, Malakai Branham
SF - Lebron James, Larry Nance, Jr., Bill Turner
PF - Gus Johnson, Jerome Lane, Jakarr Sampson
C - Nate Thurmond, Steve Johnson, Charlie Share

They had some guards that played like a year or two in the very early days of the league, which I'm not counting (also Chris Owens who played 1 game for the Grizzlies, so also not making the list).  If Branham actually hits, they'd have a tremendous starting 5 and they have Lebron's two sons coming down the pipe to potentially add to the guard depth. 

And that is just the NBA guys.  A bunch of guys had long careers in Europe like two of Lebron's high school teammates i.e. Dru Joyce, III and Romeo Travis. 

For a city of less than 200k people, Akron has managed to produce a lot of basketball talent.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #400 on: July 06, 2022, 12:17:19 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Free agent Thomas Bryant has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Lakers on a one-year deal and will be given opportunity to win starting center position, league sources tell @YahooSports:

« Reply #401 on: July 06, 2022, 12:17:37 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Chris Haynes
@ChrisBHaynes
·
3m
Free agent Thomas Bryant has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Lakers on a one-year deal and will be given opportunity to win starting center position, league sources tell @YahooSports
:

« Reply #402 on: July 06, 2022, 12:22:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Free agent Thomas Bryant has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Lakers on a one-year deal and will be given opportunity to win starting center position, league sources tell @YahooSports:
That's a bummer, but he's an injury-prone big man who is below average defensively. Wasn't at the top of my list.

« Reply #403 on: July 06, 2022, 01:07:42 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I liked Bryant but I get it. Can get a lot more time to improve his stock there. Here he will always be stuck behind Timelord, and possibly Horford sees more center minutes with Tatum and Batman seeing more at the 4 because of the addition of Brogdon shifting Brown to some SF duty.

Celtics have a lot of ways they can go, and none of them include significant minutes for a backup C
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2022, 01:35:15 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I really don’t blame him. There he gets a chance to start and could eventually earn him a bigger paycheck if he does well.