Poll

Would you do the combined deals below for Murray?

Yes, I would do it (fair for both sides)
17 (53.1%)
Yes, I would do it (but I don’t think Spurs would)
5 (15.6%)
No, I wouldn’t do it.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Dejounte Murray deal: Dealt to ATL  (Read 10709 times)

Dejounte Murray deal: Dealt to ATL
« on: June 28, 2022, 01:05:28 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Deal 1: Murray into our TPE for our firsts in 23/25/27. For the sake of hypothetical, let’s say all picks are unprotected. Remove top 1 protection on the 28 swap we already owe them from the White deal.

Deal 2: Salary matching Pritchard and Theis for McDermott.

Combined, comes pretty dang close to Spurs reported requested ask. We get Murray and a bench shooter and use the TMLE on best available 4/5.

Would you do it?

Murray has 2 years 34 mil left total on his contract.
McDermott has 2 years 27 mil total on his contract.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 07:04:57 PM by Roy H. »

Re: Dejounte Murray deal: Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I like those deals but I also like this one. Adding talent is the main thing.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2022/06/28/trade-dejounte-murray-boston-celtics/

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 01:13:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't know.  Would we move Tatum to PF permanently? 

Timelord / Horford
Tatum / Grant
Brown / McDermott
Smart / White
Murray

The big question is, does Murray put us over the top?  He's a spotty shooter who has had one very good year.

Would we be better off doing a three-way for Collins?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 01:17:33 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think the C's have a little leverage here, I might float 23/25/swap 27.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 01:37:58 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I don't know.  Would we move Tatum to PF permanently? 

Timelord / Horford
Tatum / Grant
Brown / McDermott
Smart / White
Murray

The big question is, does Murray put us over the top?  He's a spotty shooter who has had one very good year.

Would we be better off doing a three-way for Collins?

If a deal like this was possible I think you'd have to do it based on value alone regardless of short term roster construction with an eye toward likely/eventually dealing one of the 3 defensive guards for a big.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 01:47:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This stuff cracks me up:

Per LJ Ellis of Spurs Talk, the only player San Antonio actually wants from Atlanta is Onyeka Okongwu. Also, despite BR’s Jake Fischer reporting that the Spurs are looking for three first-rounders in a possible deal for Murray, that’s also false. Ellis notes Gregg Popovich’s squad would take no less than four unprotected first-round picks. There’s talk that the Spurs are looking to trade Murray for three first round draft picks. I’m told that is incorrect. San Antonio’s asking price for Murray is four first round draft picks with little to no protections. Alternatively, the Spurs want three minimally protected first rounders and two unprotected first round pick swaps. – via Quinn Allen @ Clutch Points

I don't really believe that anybody from Bleacher Report, "Spurs Talk" or Clutch Points has a clue about trade discussions, but the idea of giving up 4 firsts for a good but not great player kind of cracks me up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 01:49:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This stuff cracks me up:

Per LJ Ellis of Spurs Talk, the only player San Antonio actually wants from Atlanta is Onyeka Okongwu. Also, despite BR’s Jake Fischer reporting that the Spurs are looking for three first-rounders in a possible deal for Murray, that’s also false. Ellis notes Gregg Popovich’s squad would take no less than four unprotected first-round picks. There’s talk that the Spurs are looking to trade Murray for three first round draft picks. I’m told that is incorrect. San Antonio’s asking price for Murray is four first round draft picks with little to no protections. Alternatively, the Spurs want three minimally protected first rounders and two unprotected first round pick swaps. – via Quinn Allen @ Clutch Points

I don't really believe that anybody from Bleacher Report, "Spurs Talk" or Clutch Points has a clue about trade discussions, but the idea of giving up 4 firsts for a good but not great player kind of cracks me up.
I doubt SAS is truly that delusional on Murray's trade value. 

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 02:07:20 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Deal 1: Murray into our TPE for our firsts in 23/25/27. For the sake of hypothetical, let’s say all picks are unprotected. Remove top 1 protection on the 28 swap we already owe them from the White deal.

Combined, comes pretty dang close to Spurs reported requested ask. We get Murray and a bench shooter and use the TMLE on best available 4/5.

Would you do it?

I would do Deal 1. Not Deal 2.

If you dealt Theis you’d need to replace him with another rotation-quality big; and anyway Pritchard is both better-rounded and younger than McDermott.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown

Would you do it?

I would do Deal 1. Not Deal 2.

If you dealt Theis you’d need to replace him with another rotation-quality big; and anyway Pritchard is both better-rounded and younger than McDermott.

Yes, you’d have to use the TMLE to replace Theis. I’d be looking at Javale McGee, Hartenstein, Kevon Looney, etc.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 02:28:34 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
If todays rumors are true we aren't offering enough:

Speaking of first-rounders, the Spurs are asking for a bounty of them in any potential Murray trade, per LJ Ellis of Spurs Talk.

"San Antonio’s asking price for Murray is four first round draft picks with little to no protections," Ellis wrote in a story published Tuesday morning. "Alternatively, the Spurs want three minimally protected first rounders and two unprotected first round pick swaps."

They can shove it for that asking price

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 02:33:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Speaking of first-rounders, the Spurs are asking for a bounty of them in any potential Murray trade, per LJ Ellis of Spurs Talk.

"San Antonio’s asking price for Murray is four first round draft picks with little to no protections," Ellis wrote in a story published Tuesday morning. "Alternatively, the Spurs want three minimally protected first rounders and two unprotected first round pick swaps."

Is that what BKN gave up for James Harden? 3 first and 2 swaps?

Seems fair if you are giving up no talent in the deal. Keep all your current guys.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 02:35:54 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown

Yeah, I tried to keep that report in mind. If that is out there, I’d believe it is the Spurs’ initial asking price. I’d be stunned if they got that entire wishlist, so I tried to make a deal that approached their wishlist without necessarily matching it.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 02:37:24 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Yeah, I tried to keep that report in mind. If that is out there, I’d believe it is the Spurs’ initial asking price. I’d be stunned if they got that entire wishlist, so I tried to make a deal that approached their wishlist without necessarily matching it.

Its certainly a different extreme compared to yesterday that said it was close to a deal for Gallinari and 2 firsts from Atlanta.

Honestly I'd give them Smart and 2 unprotected firsts and call it a day. If they don't want that package they can shove it. 

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 02:38:02 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Is that what BKN gave up for James Harden? 3 first and 2 swaps?

Seems fair if you are giving up no talent in the deal. Keep all your current guys.

Jrue Holiday was 2 unprotected 1st and 2 swaps iirc

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 03:16:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Price is a joke. He’s not that good. He ain’t Drew.