Poll

Will the Celtics use the $17,142,857 trade exception before the July 18 deadline?

Yes.  They will use up to $6.5 million of it.
1 (2%)
Yes.  They will use between $6.5 million and $13 million of it.
13 (26.5%)
Yes.  They will use $13+ million of it.
21 (42.9%)
No.  They will let it expire unused.
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: July 12, 2022, 09:49:37 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Will the Celtics use their $17.1 million Trade Exception?  (Read 5833 times)

Re: Poll: Will the Celtics use their $17.1 million Trade Exception?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2022, 07:32:57 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Burks and Noel moved, Seems pretty evident that the C's do not want to enter too deep in tax territory , shame. I be surprised if they offer the full Tax Payer Exception.

It’s not even July. It’s far too early to conclude that.

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2022, 07:41:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Burks and Noel moved, Seems pretty evident that the C's do not want to enter too deep in tax territory , shame. I be surprised if they offer the full Tax Payer Exception.

It’s not even July. It’s far too early to conclude that.

Yeah.  I would have been okay with adding Burks and Noel, (and picking up two #2s in the process) but Brad is presumably looking at bigger returns.

There are three more weeks to use the TPE.  At that point, we can bash ownership for being cheap.  Until then, they get a chance.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2022, 08:16:37 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
There's still a lot of time, the C's could definitely be making moves soon.

But I've also seen enough Celtics offseasons and have some PTSD thinking back to how I felt the same while all these other teams made moves, and then the C's actually ended up not doing much.

I trust Brad and there's definitely time, but it's a little unsettling already seeing some moves go down for certain teams yet nothing on our end, not many reports/legit rumors either
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2022, 10:39:53 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I don’t believe they will use any of the TPEs

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2022, 10:57:16 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

I'll believe it when I see it. Every year management says they are going to improve the team and then say no deals were there that they liked. A finals team deserves to be put in the position to win it all next year.

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2022, 10:58:49 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I'll believe it when I see it. Every year management says they are going to improve the team and then say no deals were there that they liked. A finals team deserves to be put in the position to win it all next year.

Brad literally made nine trades in his first year of running the ship.  If he says no deals were there, then he’s earned my trust that no deals were there, because he’s clearly not averse to making them.

I do expect a trade involving the TPE.

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2022, 11:24:37 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Brad literally made nine trades in his first year of running the ship.  If he says no deals were there, then he’s earned my trust that no deals were there, because he’s clearly not averse to making them.

I do trust Brad it's ownership that keeps cheaping out every year.

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2022, 11:26:34 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Fair.  But if ownership is cheaping out I still expect a move.

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Fair.  But if ownership is cheaping out I still expect a move.

Ownership needs to go all in. This team has been knocking at the door for years now. The Warriors spent twice as much money as the Celtics last year and will probably increase that spending this year.

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 03:18:37 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
The reason why teams would agree to offload players the C's using the tpe would be to open up cap space in order to sign free agents. These opportunities are fast disappearing

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2022, 03:21:26 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
The reason why teams would agree to offload players the C's using the tpe would be to open up cap space in order to sign free agents. These opportunities are fast disappearing

Or to get away from the tax line/reduce tax burden — often that is done nearer the deadline, but with few teams having cap space or large exceptions, that will likely happen earlier this year.

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2022, 03:43:17 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72

Or to get draft picks (ie San Antonio)

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2022, 03:46:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I hope they make a move with the TPE, but sure hope it's not a move just to make a move. Burks would have been a good get, not so much Nerlens as it appears his injury issues are lingering. Maybe NYK didn't want to send a good asset to Boston when they had dismal Detroit right there willing to take those salaries from them.

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2022, 03:57:36 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Do they, though? In the past 6 offseasons, half of them we used significant cap space to sign max guys (Horford, Hayward, and Kemba) which makes getting over the tax line almost impossible. In another one we were hard capped because we wanted to use the full MLE to sign Tristian Thompson, one we payed tax (and the main complaint was that we had too much talent/too many mouths to feed), and the other (this past year) we went right up to the tax line, and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed under the tax in what looked like a season where we had no chance of contending.

There were some bad decisions made in that time (like Kemba and Thompson), but they don't seem to come from cheaping out.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2022, 04:01:34 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Team will not win the title if it stays as is. Bucks will be tougher with Middleton. Warriors tougher.

Can’t roll that bench out there again and expect to win it all.