Poll

Will the Celtics use the $17,142,857 trade exception before the July 18 deadline?

Yes.  They will use up to $6.5 million of it.
1 (2%)
Yes.  They will use between $6.5 million and $13 million of it.
13 (26.5%)
Yes.  They will use $13+ million of it.
21 (42.9%)
No.  They will let it expire unused.
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: July 12, 2022, 09:49:37 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Will the Celtics use their $17.1 million Trade Exception?  (Read 5789 times)

Re: Poll: Will the Celtics use their $17.1 million Trade Exception?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2022, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Listening to both local and national pods has me wondering if there is a potential Knicks/Celtics trade where the C's take Alec Burks and Cam Reddish into the TPE so the Knicks can sign Brunson.

I think the Cs can take both Reddish and Burks into the Fournier TPE, but I am hardly a cap expert.

I'd rather bring back Fournier than Burks & Reddish.

Yeah, I'd much prefer Fournier since he is easily the best player of the three, but also think we deserve draft compensation. The Knicks traded the #13 pick and Kemba Walker's expiring $8M contract for the 2025 MIL Bucks pick (projected to be much later than #13). If we are taking on $37M-$56M in salary (3rd year is a TO), then we deserve something back - especially since the Knicks are desperate to clear salary.

I would be surprised if the C’s used the TPE to take on a not good contract/salary dump for draft compensation.  I expect them to try to get someone long-term for the top 7 of their rotation, and maybe I’m a Fournier-hater, but I don’t think he’s top-7 for a contender.  The defense is way too suspect.

The more I think about it a trade like Burks, Reddish and a #1 could be a needed intermediate trade to get an impact player without hitting the core.

Right now outside of the top 7, we only have Theis 8.6, Grant 4.3, Nesmith 3.8, PP, 2.2 to match salaries. So to get a player making over 20ish we'd need to send out one of our top 6 and for a max player we'd need to send out 2 for our top 6. Post trade we'd add a 10m and 6m salaries which gives us the flexibility ability to take on bigger contracts with less or no impact to our rotation. Plus another first send out in a that trade

Absolutely. We NEED to add more contracts not just for depth but so we have outgoing salary to match if a star becomes available.

It will make it so much easier to add a true impact piece later on via trade without totally gutting our roster.

Look at how key the D'Angelo Russell trade was for the Warriors. If they don't make that trade they don't land Wiggins and don't win a title.

This is a bit of revisionist history on the Wiggins trade.  They got a lightly protected first from a lottery team to take on his contract, as he was a giant bust at the time.  Worked out for the Warriors that two years of coaching later they were able to turn him into a really good player, but that trade about acquiring a lottery pick from a bad team, and maybe turning that pick plus Wiggins with less money owed in the future into a new star.
Wiggins was never a bad player.  I mean the season he was traded he was averaging 22.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, and 3.7 apg with a not great but not terrible TS% of 53.5, while playing average defense. 

He didn't live up to, imo unrealistic, expectations and was called a bust for it, but he was always a solid player.  A nice quality #3 type player, that was expected to be a #1 or #2, and thus deemed a failure when it turned out he was a nice quality #3 type player (and he is probably more like a 2.5).  But Wiggins, as a #1 pick, was expected to play like #1 picks and I just think that made people think he was a bad player when he never was.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 06:08:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Richardson and a top 14 protected 1st wouldn't be bad if Spurs look at signing a big name. Maybe can get 28 swap rights back too.

Sometimes you need to use the tpe as a salary holder before it expires.

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 06:31:55 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
Prediction: Bradley Beal leaves Washington, they go in to full tank mode and the Celtics trade for Kyle Kuzma.

More like wishful thinking haha. But Kuzma would be a huge step up over Grant Williams at the backup 4 spot.

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 06:48:06 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Listening to both local and national pods has me wondering if there is a potential Knicks/Celtics trade where the C's take Alec Burks and Cam Reddish into the TPE so the Knicks can sign Brunson.

I think the Cs can take both Reddish and Burks into the Fournier TPE, but I am hardly a cap expert.

I'd rather bring back Fournier than Burks & Reddish.

Yeah, I'd much prefer Fournier since he is easily the best player of the three, but also think we deserve draft compensation. The Knicks traded the #13 pick and Kemba Walker's expiring $8M contract for the 2025 MIL Bucks pick (projected to be much later than #13). If we are taking on $37M-$56M in salary (3rd year is a TO), then we deserve something back - especially since the Knicks are desperate to clear salary.

I would be surprised if the C’s used the TPE to take on a not good contract/salary dump for draft compensation.  I expect them to try to get someone long-term for the top 7 of their rotation, and maybe I’m a Fournier-hater, but I don’t think he’s top-7 for a contender.  The defense is way too suspect.

The more I think about it a trade like Burks, Reddish and a #1 could be a needed intermediate trade to get an impact player without hitting the core.

Right now outside of the top 7, we only have Theis 8.6, Grant 4.3, Nesmith 3.8, PP, 2.2 to match salaries. So to get a player making over 20ish we'd need to send out one of our top 6 and for a max player we'd need to send out 2 for our top 6. Post trade we'd add a 10m and 6m salaries which gives us the flexibility ability to take on bigger contracts with less or no impact to our rotation. Plus another first send out in a that trade

Absolutely. We NEED to add more contracts not just for depth but so we have outgoing salary to match if a star becomes available.

It will make it so much easier to add a true impact piece later on via trade without totally gutting our roster.

Look at how key the D'Angelo Russell trade was for the Warriors. If they don't make that trade they don't land Wiggins and don't win a title.

This is a bit of revisionist history on the Wiggins trade.  They got a lightly protected first from a lottery team to take on his contract, as he was a giant bust at the time.  Worked out for the Warriors that two years of coaching later they were able to turn him into a really good player, but that trade about acquiring a lottery pick from a bad team, and maybe turning that pick plus Wiggins with less money owed in the future into a new star.
Wiggins was never a bad player.  I mean the season he was traded he was averaging 22.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, and 3.7 apg with a not great but not terrible TS% of 53.5, while playing average defense. 

He didn't live up to, imo unrealistic, expectations and was called a bust for it, but he was always a solid player.  A nice quality #3 type player, that was expected to be a #1 or #2, and thus deemed a failure when it turned out he was a nice quality #3 type player (and he is probably more like a 2.5).  But Wiggins, as a #1 pick, was expected to play like #1 picks and I just think that made people think he was a bad player when he never was.

He was arguably the worst defender in the NBA for multiple seasons prior to the trade.  He was straight up bad.  There was the season being guarded by Wiggins produced the same shooting percentage as being unguarded.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nba-haters-ball/?ex_cid=538twitter

A number 3 on offense paired with bad defense is a bad player, plain and simple, and not merely one who was given too much in the way of expectations.

Again, it worked out for the Warriors, but Wiggins was not in their plans.  They were all set to make a trade involving his salary on draft night 2020 (after the bubble), and then Klay tore his Achilles that week, so they held off to wait for another year.  Wiggins showed some improvement last year, but people still thought the Warriors would trade him once Klay returned if they wanted to make a push this season.  And then, against all odds, Wiggins became good.  Not just okay, but legit good.  Power to him, and credit to the Warriors coaches and team culture, but that was not the plan when they acquired him.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 09:17:32 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2022, 07:08:20 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Use it up. Sign and trade with Pacers, Rubio and TJ Warren for a 2nd  rounder or two
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2022, 07:49:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Use it up. Sign and trade with Pacers, Rubio and TJ Warren for a 2nd  rounder or two

Two injured guys?

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2022, 09:05:32 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

Two injured guys?

Rubio won’t be back until January, but TJ Warren was fully recovered and ready to go with 12 games left to go last season. The tanking Pacers sent him home.

Rubio is the perfect floor general to have come off the bench for next years playoff run. TJ is the perfect scoring wing. Both are going to look to sign “prove it” contracts, 1 year plus a player option. That TPE sign and trade, the money split in half, ends up being more than the MLE. So yeah, I like them both on a short term deal because of the upside. This still leaves our MLE to use elsewhere
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2022, 09:15:45 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
another trade i thought about is Nesmith + Morgan + Fitts + TPE for Burks and Noel, Burks gives the C's another scoring option on the bench and I can see Noel being useful in the playoffs, especially as a body to put on Giannis and Embiid.

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2022, 09:16:20 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Two injured guys?

Rubio won’t be back until January, but TJ Warren was fully recovered and ready to go with 12 games left to go last season. The tanking Pacers sent him home.

Rubio is the perfect floor general to have come off the bench for next years playoff run. TJ is the perfect scoring wing. Both are going to look to sign “prove it” contracts, 1 year plus a player option. That TPE sign and trade, the money split in half, ends up being more than the MLE. So yeah, I like them both on a short term deal because of the upside. This still leaves our MLE to use elsewhere

It’s really moot because we can’t use the TPE in a sign-and-trade this year, as sign-and-trades subject us to the hard cap and using the TPE will necessarily take us above that.  Warren is likely near the top of the wish list for the MLE, and maybe joining a finals team for a year will eb palatable to him to rehab is value.  But we’d have to move $15-17 million in salary to use all of the TPE in sign-and-trades, so that’s not a likely option.

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2022, 10:56:27 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
Burks and Noel moved, Seems pretty evident that the C's do not want to enter too deep in tax territory , shame. I be surprised if they offer the full Tax Payer Exception.

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2022, 11:35:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Burks and Noel moved, Seems pretty evident that the C's do not want to enter too deep in tax territory , shame. I be surprised if they offer the full Tax Payer Exception.

Or that they would like better players than Burks and Noel for the TPE.  I would’ve been disappointed.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2022, 12:00:26 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

Or that they would like better players than Burks and Noel for the TPE.  I would’ve been disappointed.

Yes, agreed. Burks made some sense if he came with a pick. But he was a middling option at best.

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2022, 12:08:47 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
inshallah

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2022, 01:11:59 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
another trade i thought about is Nesmith + Morgan + Fitts + TPE for Burks and Noel, Burks gives the C's another scoring option on the bench and I can see Noel being useful in the playoffs, especially as a body to put on Giannis and Embiid.
You can’t combine the TPE with players in a trade.

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2022, 04:45:51 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
There is no combination playes for Noel, tpe for burks, point is moot