Poll

Will the Celtics use the $17,142,857 trade exception before the July 18 deadline?

Yes.  They will use up to $6.5 million of it.
1 (2%)
Yes.  They will use between $6.5 million and $13 million of it.
13 (26.5%)
Yes.  They will use $13+ million of it.
21 (42.9%)
No.  They will let it expire unused.
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: July 12, 2022, 09:49:37 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Will the Celtics use their $17.1 million Trade Exception?  (Read 5806 times)

Re: Poll: Will the Celtics use their $17.1 million Trade Exception?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2022, 12:01:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Listening to both local and national pods has me wondering if there is a potential Knicks/Celtics trade where the C's take Alec Burks and Cam Reddish into the TPE so the Knicks can sign Brunson.

I think the Cs can take both Reddish and Burks into the Fournier TPE, but I am hardly a cap expert.

I'd rather bring back Fournier than Burks & Reddish.

Yeah, I'd much prefer Fournier since he is easily the best player of the three, but also think we deserve draft compensation. The Knicks traded the #13 pick and Kemba Walker's expiring $8M contract for the 2025 MIL Bucks pick (projected to be much later than #13). If we are taking on $37M-$56M in salary (3rd year is a TO), then we deserve something back - especially since the Knicks are desperate to clear salary.
not too thrilled with the prospect of Fournier again after seeing his play the first time through here.  Also thinking Burks and Reddish could add 2 depth players to the roster rather than just one.  totally agree on draft compensation coming to the C's for helping the Knicks out  -- particularly since these aren't expiring deals.

correction -- apparently Burks IS expiring
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:10:04 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2022, 12:07:00 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Please explain to me how these trade exceptions are used.

The CBA is so complicated and I have given up trying to understand all of it, but would like to at least know the basics.

Has our ownership given any indication of how much they will spend to help this team win a title ?
We are entering the prime seasons of our homegrown, all-star, all-defense players and it is time to capitalize on those very smart draft picks that Danny brought to Boston. I know teams don't have the freedom they use to have to acquire players, but we are better off than many other franchises. Personally, I think we need a knock-down, catch & shoot guy, a solid point guard who doesn't turn the ball over and a rebounding post player who has some offense around the basket. Probably, these guys would come off the bench, though the new point guard could start and move Marcus back to the second guard position.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2022, 12:13:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Listening to both local and national pods has me wondering if there is a potential Knicks/Celtics trade where the C's take Alec Burks and Cam Reddish into the TPE so the Knicks can sign Brunson.

I think the Cs can take both Reddish and Burks into the Fournier TPE, but I am hardly a cap expert.

Yeah, I'd much prefer Fournier since he is easily the best player of the three, but also think we deserve draft compensation. The Knicks traded the #13 pick and Kemba Walker's expiring $8M contract for the 2025 MIL Bucks pick (projected to be much later than #13). If we are taking on $37M-$56M in salary (3rd year is a TO), then we deserve something back - especially since the Knicks are desperate to clear salary.

I would be surprised if the C’s used the TPE to take on a not good contract/salary dump for draft compensation.  I expect them to try to get someone long-term for the top 7 of their rotation, and maybe I’m a Fournier-hater, but I don’t think he’s top-7 for a contender.  The defense is way too suspect.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 12:30:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd prefer Reddish over Fournier as a development player. But if Fournier comes with a draft pick I think you go for that.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 12:36:40 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

I would be surprised if the C’s used the TPE to take on a not good contract/salary dump for draft compensation.  I expect them to try to get someone long-term for the top 7 of their rotation, and maybe I’m a Fournier-hater, but I don’t think he’s top-7 for a contender.  The defense is way too suspect.

The more I think about it a trade like Burks, Reddish and a #1 could be a needed intermediate trade to get an impact player without hitting the core.

Right now outside of the top 7, we only have Theis 8.6, Grant 4.3, Nesmith 3.8, PP, 2.2 to match salaries. So to get a player making over 20ish we'd need to send out one of our top 6 and for a max player we'd need to send out 2 for our top 6. Post trade we'd add a 10m and 6m salaries which gives us the flexibility ability to take on bigger contracts with less or no impact to our rotation. Plus another first send out in a that trade

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 12:50:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd rather  Burks and Reddish over Fournier.    Two wings, additional scoring both are upgrades over some of our bench guys now.    Burke can play SG too so some ballhandling help.  Then use the Mid level to sign a back up big.

Why would the Knicks do this though?  This still would not allow them to make a big splash in free agency.  Who would they sign with the cap space?   Harden is a no go as I see.  Wall is gone.   That leaves LaVine whom Chicago has Bird rights as the other big name.   I just think this doesn't make a ton of sense for them.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 01:02:58 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I expect that they will do two trades for 13+.

If they let the whole thing expire, it would be a dereliction of duty. They need a much better bench.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 01:04:24 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

The more I think about it a trade like Burks, Reddish and a #1 could be a needed intermediate trade to get an impact player without hitting the core.

Right now outside of the top 7, we only have Theis 8.6, Grant 4.3, Nesmith 3.8, PP, 2.2 to match salaries. So to get a player making over 20ish we'd need to send out one of our top 6 and for a max player we'd need to send out 2 for our top 6. Post trade we'd add a 10m and 6m salaries which gives us the flexibility ability to take on bigger contracts with less or no impact to our rotation. Plus another first send out in a that trade

Absolutely. We NEED to add more contracts not just for depth but so we have outgoing salary to match if a star becomes available.

It will make it so much easier to add a true impact piece later on via trade without totally gutting our roster.

Look at how key the D'Angelo Russell trade was for the Warriors. If they don't make that trade they don't land Wiggins and don't win a title.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2022, 02:27:35 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Absolutely. We NEED to add more contracts not just for depth but so we have outgoing salary to match if a star becomes available.

It will make it so much easier to add a true impact piece later on via trade without totally gutting our roster.

Look at how key the D'Angelo Russell trade was for the Warriors. If they don't make that trade they don't land Wiggins and don't win a title.

This is a bit of revisionist history on the Wiggins trade.  They got a lightly protected first from a lottery team to take on his contract, as he was a giant bust at the time.  Worked out for the Warriors that two years of coaching later they were able to turn him into a really good player, but that trade about acquiring a lottery pick from a bad team, and maybe turning that pick plus Wiggins with less money owed in the future into a new star.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2022, 03:04:36 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

This is a bit of revisionist history on the Wiggins trade.  They got a lightly protected first from a lottery team to take on his contract, as he was a giant bust at the time.  Worked out for the Warriors that two years of coaching later they were able to turn him into a really good player, but that trade about acquiring a lottery pick from a bad team, and maybe turning that pick plus Wiggins with less money owed in the future into a new star.

Sure. But the initial trade gave them flexibility which paid off eventually.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2022, 03:08:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd rather  Burks and Reddish over Fournier.    Two wings, additional scoring both are upgrades over some of our bench guys now.    Burke can play SG too so some ballhandling help.  Then use the Mid level to sign a back up big.

Why would the Knicks do this though?  This still would not allow them to make a big splash in free agency.  Who would they sign with the cap space?   Harden is a no go as I see.  Wall is gone.   That leaves LaVine whom Chicago has Bird rights as the other big name.   I just think this doesn't make a ton of sense for them.

Brunson

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2022, 03:11:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

not too thrilled with the prospect of Fournier again after seeing his play the first time through here.  Also thinking Burks and Reddish could add 2 depth players to the roster rather than just one.  totally agree on draft compensation coming to the C's for helping the Knicks out  -- particularly since these aren't expiring deals.

correction -- apparently Burks IS expiring

Fournier was quite good with us, not so much with the Knicks (unless he was playing us). I understand people not being thrilled about bringing Fournier back, but he is definitely a productive player - not really his fault our team turned into a dumpster fire last year. We even had interest in re-signing him before NYK overpaid him. So that is why we deserve draft compensation, not because he is just a useless bloated contract being dumped on us. He is a good player.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 03:12:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

They clearly want Brunson. They even have hired his dad to their coaching staff.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 03:20:11 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
They sure as heck to need to use as much of it as it takes

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 03:30:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Brunson

I think they would rue moving all those guys for Brunson.   Does anyone else think he is worth it?   I don't but then again we are talking about the Knicks and they make move after move in desperation to get relevant.