Author Topic: John Wall could be bought out  (Read 3754 times)

Re: John Wall could be bought out
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2022, 11:00:34 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Looks like Wall is giving up $6.5 million of salary, which is the equivalent of the taxpayer TPE, so we can presume the Clippers will sign him to such a deal.

This takes the Clippers to $26 million over the tax line at 12 players, with a reported intent to bring back Batum, who will likely get at least what Wall is, if not more.  Tack on a couple of guys at the minimum, and they’re approaching $35 million over the tax line.

I posted about Amir Coffey yesterday, but I can’t imagine they’d match an offer sheet for him in the $5-6.5 million a year range, given that payroll.  I’ve also been beating the Luke Kennard drum for awhile as a target for the TPE.  The Clippers have a lot of quality depth, and I hope we’re able to siphon a little of that for ourselves.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 12:38:00 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
How much over the tax line were the Warriors?  I only ask because I wonder if going over it has become a necessity to win an NBA Championship.

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 07:29:00 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
How much over the tax line were the Warriors?  I only ask because I wonder if going over it has become a necessity to win an NBA Championship.

The Warriors were nearly $40 million over the tax line, which might a record for the most over by a title winner.  The Bucks were only a few million over the year before, and the Lakers were under the year before that.

I think $10-20 million over is probably the sweet spot for an elevated chance to win without having too much of a luxury tax bill.  The Warriors paid almost as much in luxury tax ($170 million) as they did in salary ($175 million), which is pretty crazy.  But that extra $40 million payroll probably Pugh them a title over Boston.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:39:53 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 08:37:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The Warriors were nearly $40 million over the tax line, which might a record for the most over by a title winner.  The Bucks were only a few million over the year before, and the Lakers were under the year before that.

I think $10-20 million over is probably the sweet spot for an elevated chance to win without having too much of a luxury tax bill.  The Warriors paid almost as much in luxury tax ($170 million) as they did in salary ($175 million), which is pretty crazy.  But that extra $40 million payroll probably Pugh them a title over Boston.

I'm curious how much they go over the tax this year.  The rumors are that they're going to re-sign Looney, Payton, and Porter and will offer large extensions to Wiggins and Poole.  Their payroll is already at $171 million before doing any of that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2022, 10:27:50 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I wonder what Wall's role will be in the Clippers. If he's healthy I assume he'd be starting, but I don't know how well he really fits in a starting lineup with Reggie Jackson. If he's lost a step then that could be a rough lineup, especially against teams with bigger guards
I'm bitter.

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2022, 10:42:37 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Wall won’t be sitting on the bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2022, 10:43:17 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I wonder what Wall's role will be in the Clippers. If he's healthy I assume he'd be starting, but I don't know how well he really fits in a starting lineup with Reggie Jackson. If he's lost a step then that could be a rough lineup, especially against teams with bigger guards

Wall will hold that team back & make them worse.

They need shooters around Kawhi and PG13. Not a ball-hog PG who can't score efficiently or make outside shots. Or play defense.