Author Topic: John Wall could be bought out  (Read 3764 times)

Re: John Wall could be bought out
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 07:39:49 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He's not the John Wall of 2013 or 2016 anymore...but if he was then I'd roll the dice with him

To say the least. Prior to 2018-19, Wall's average overall RAPTOR score was 2.22, which compares favorably to Smart's career score of 1.89, albeit with barely passable vs elite defense. Wall's played sparingly since then, but his average overall RAPTOR score has been -2.20 and his numbers on the offensive side have been negative and his defensive numbers suck.

Smells of burnt toast. Perfect fit for the Lakers.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 08:22:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Teams interested include Heat, Lakers, Clippers.

Surprised to not see the Celtics on there.

I know Wall hasn’t played in a couple years ago, and will likely come in to training camp overweight, but even with that, I still think he’d be a step up over Derrick White at the backup PG spot.

Always been a fan of his game. God knows this team could use a PG who can distribute and take care of the ball.

The Celtics already have Smart, White and Pritchard. Plus, they just took a point guard with their only pick in the draft. I don’t see where Wall would fit in.
I feel like PP is one that HAS to be upgraded next year.  If he's still in the rotation next year, BS didn't do his job.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 08:42:40 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

I know Wall hasn’t played in a couple years ago, and will likely come in to training camp overweight, but even with that, I still think he’d be a step up over Derrick White at the backup PG spot.

Always been a fan of his game. God knows this team could use a PG who can distribute and take care of the ball.

The Celtics already have Smart, White and Pritchard. Plus, they just took a point guard with their only pick in the draft. I don’t see where Wall would fit in.
I feel like PP is one that HAS to be upgraded next year.  If he's still in the rotation next year, BS didn't do his job.

PP is like a 3rd string guard and he played reasonably well last year. You have White and Smart getting virtually all the mins at point and then Pritchard is really playing off ball as a small SG. Nesmith is the real issue. He was supposed to be the backup  2/3 and he regressed last season. It blows my mind that he’s not playing in summer league. What a waste.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

PP is like a 3rd string guard and he played reasonably well last year. You have White and Smart getting virtually all the mins at point and then Pritchard is really playing off ball as a small SG. Nesmith is the real issue. He was supposed to be the backup  2/3 and he regressed last season. It blows my mind that he’s not playing in summer league. What a waste.

Nesmith killed summer league last year and that didn't get him on the court.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2022, 08:47:50 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

If Pritchard's shot is falling and he can tough it out on defense then he's playable.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2022, 08:57:46 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I think there will be an upgrade on Pritchard, but given that Pritchard was really a very undersized shooting guard rather than a PG, I expect that upgrade to be a properly sized wing, and not a third-string PG.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2022, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806

If Pritchard's shot is falling and he can tough it out on defense then he's playable.

If may be asking too much.  Payton needs to make his 3s (40%+) if he wants to play with the Celtics.  I'm a big fan, but he let us down in the finals.  I hope he makes it.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2022, 09:09:48 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

If may be asking too much.  Payton needs to make his 3s (40%+) if he wants to play with the Celtics.  I'm a big fan, but he let us down in the finals.  I hope he makes it.

He’s playable, but maybe not finals playable.  He’s a fine 10th man, and brings good energy.  You need that to get through the long season and playoffs.  But by the late rounds of the playoffs he needs to be on the bench barring an emergency, so we need someone on the roster to push him down a notch in the rotation.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2022, 09:15:13 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Pritchard made 41% of his threes last year and is a 41% 3 point shooter for his career. He also shot 100% from the free throw line last year and 92% for his career. 

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 09:56:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sounds like the buyout is essentially done, and Wall is going to the Clippers. 

ohn Wall's strange tenure with the Houston Rockets is coming to an end.

The Rockets have agreed to a buyout of the final year of Wall's massive contract, sources told Yahoo Sports, paving the way for the five-time All-Star to resurrect his career with a competitive team.

Wall’s agent Rich Paul, CEO of Klutch Sports, is meeting with Rockets general manager Rafael Stone on Tuesday to finalize the terms, sources said.

It expected Wall will give back approximately $7 million in salary to hit the open market, sources said. He picked up his $47.4 million player option before the buyout.

He will automatically become one of the top free agents in the 2022 class, though Wall intends to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers upon clearing waivers, sources said.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2022, 09:56:45 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
He's been bought out and is about to sign with the Clippers once he clears waivers, according to Woj
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2022, 10:32:39 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
He's been bought out and is about to sign with the Clippers once he clears waivers, according to Woj

How does that happen before free agency starts? I understand that he can sign when it starts but it seems illegal to negotiate with players before it starts.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2022, 10:39:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

How does that happen before free agency starts? I understand that he can sign when it starts but it seems illegal to negotiate with players before it starts.

Yep, it's tampering.  But, the NBA turns a blind eye to this stuff, except for the one or two times per year that they arbitrarily punish a couple of teams by slapping their wrists.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2022, 10:44:58 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Yep, it's tampering.  But, the NBA turns a blind eye to this stuff, except for the one or two times per year that they arbitrarily punish a couple of teams by slapping their wrists.

In this case he might technically be allowed to negotiate earlier if he becomes a free agent before the beginning of the league year.  Once he clears waivers, he’s not under contract with anyone, whereas traditional free agents are still under contract through June 30th.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2022, 10:48:52 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Well at least it's the Clippers and not the Fakers