Author Topic: Is Jaylen disgruntled?  (Read 19685 times)

Re: Is Jaylen disgruntled?
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2022, 02:32:03 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
I’m just saying, I worry.  You can tell something about a guy from the company he keeps.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1548141097536212992

I can’t imagine that Kyrie and Kanye are good influences.

So does your worry mean you think the Celtics should more seriously consider trading him in package for KD?

I defer to Brad.  He’s got more inside info than I do.  But, I’ve said before that if Brad thinks there’s a 50% chance of JB leaving, he needs to move him.

Kyrie is probably the flakiest guy in sports, right?  And Kanye is one of the flakiest people in America.  It’s not a great sign if these are Brown’s preferred peers.

There are two scenarios under which you would trade Jaylen Brown.  One is in a big trade for someone like Durant where you feel the player coming back is better and makes the team better.  The other scenario is that you have concerns that you will not be able to sign him so you try to get something out of it rather than losing him for nothing.

In the case of the latter, which is what this discussion is primarily about, he is under contract for 2022/23 and 2023/24.  The absolute earliest that I would even consider trading him based on fearing he is disgruntled or whatever would be the trade deadline in 2024.  Now if there is a trade for Towns or Mitchell or some other star, fine, do the trade if you think it makes the team better (I think it is very unlikely but this scenario is possible).  But making this type of trade has nothing to do with whether you think he is "disgruntled" or not, at least not until about Feb 2024.

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2022, 02:36:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25624
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m just saying, I worry.  You can tell something about a guy from the company he keeps.

So does your worry mean you think the Celtics should more seriously consider trading him in package for KD?

I defer to Brad.  He’s got more inside info than I do.  But, I’ve said before that if Brad thinks there’s a 50% chance of JB leaving, he needs to move him.

Kyrie is probably the flakiest guy in sports, right?  And Kanye is one of the flakiest people in America.  It’s not a great sign if these are Brown’s preferred peers.

There are two scenarios under which you would trade Jaylen Brown.  One is in a big trade for someone like Durant where you feel the player coming back is better and makes the team better.  The other scenario is that you have concerns that you will not be able to sign him so you try to get something out of it rather than losing him for nothing.

In the case of the latter, which is what this discussion is primarily about, he is under contract for 2022/23 and 2023/24.  The absolute earliest that I would even consider trading him based on fearing he is disgruntled or whatever would be the trade deadline in 2024.  Now if there is a trade for Towns or Mitchell or some other star, fine, do the trade if you think it makes the team better (I think it is very unlikely but this scenario is possible).  But making this type of trade has nothing to do with whether you think he is "disgruntled" or not, at least not until about Feb 2024.

Wouldn’t any perceived value go down by then?  If Brad feels like he’s leaving, it’s better to move him sooner than later.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2022, 02:55:24 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Wouldn’t any perceived value go down by then?  If Brad feels like he’s leaving, it’s better to move him sooner than later.

My point is that even if Brown is "disgruntled" today (and I don't buy that he is), maybe he can be "undisgruntled" by 2024.  That is a long way away.  So no, I would not do anything like that now.  I would take my chances that I could resign him and if not, still get a decent return in 2024.  Certainly not this off season and probably not even next off season.  For example, if we have a bad year and things really aren't working, then maybe in the offseason 2023 but I don't think that is going to happen.  I think this is going be a good team and that Brown is going to thrive.  I think Brown is going to be plenty gruntled (yes, that is actually a real word).

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2022, 03:02:50 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I saw this too, it definitely worries me.

Having these two nitwits in Jaylen’s ear may be the catalyst, but IMO it’s not the cause.

It’s been mentioned at various times by journalists that Brown has begrudgingly accepted playing as a guard, but it’s obvious he sees himself as a forward.

Brown will always be Tatum’s sidekick in Boston, especially because they play the same position (with similar skill sets), but Tatum is just better.

I have feared about Brown going back to Atlanta for a while, as he’s very politically motivated in regards to black rights and seems very connected to Georgia.

I would also be worried about Detroit and Memphis, if Brown tested free agency. They have elite young talent and both are missing an elite wing.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 03:08:45 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2022, 03:06:10 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Having these two nitwits in Jaylen’s ear may be the catalyst, but IMO it’s not the cause.

It’s been mentioned at various times by journalists that Brown has begrudgingly accepted playing as a guard, but it’s obvious he sees himself as a forward.

Brown will always be Tatum’s sidekick in Boston, especially because they play the same position, with similar skill sets, but Tatum is just better.

I have always feared about Brown going back to Atlanta. He’s very politically motivated in regards to black rights and seems very connected to Georgia.

I would also be worried about Detroit and Memphis if Brown tested free agency, they have elite young talent and both are missing an elite wing.

Is this true?  He doesn't seem begrudging to me.

« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2022, 03:12:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The amount of angst that can be caused because of a couple pictures is pretty amazing.

Tatum took a picture with Draymond Green....oh no, Tatum wants to go to Golden State

Brown takes pics with Kanye and Irving...oh no he's going to start acting like those two and want out of Boston.

Ridiculous.

Both are their own men. They're both intelligent young men. And neither has said anything publicly other than they want to be Boston Celtics.

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2022, 03:15:01 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Kanye and Kyrie are well-respected for their social activism and influence by their peers. People regard Kanye as a genius. Most NBA players love Kyrie. The issue with Kyrie is that he can't stay on the court for one reason (injury) or another (his stance on the vaccination). The issue with Kanye is that he lacks self-awareness. Yet in spite of those things, they are respected, appreciated, and loved by their peers. Maybe the media and fan projection of those guys isn't accurate, because those who know them love them.

Jaylen Brown is an articulate man that wants to use his money and influence positively. He is geared that way and I respect him for it. To this point, it has not affected his on-court play in the slightest, and there is no reason to think it might. He has gone through a lot in his short NBA career so far and he keeps performing at a high level on the highest stages. And he keeps getting better.

There is absolutely no reason to throw shade at Jaylen for this. If he wasn't taking care of his body, if he was involved with domestic issues, or if he was using substances, then I'd be concerned. But this man has excellent self-control, has a great head on his shoulders, and dedicates himself to his craft (in spite of a sometimes non-supportive fan base). He is unselfish, supportive of his teammates, and always reflects well on the Celtics franchise with his interviews.

Stop stirring up issues where there is none, or you may be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2022, 03:15:39 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Brown will always be Tatum’s sidekick in Boston, especially because they play the same position, with similar skill sets, but Tatum is just better.

I have always feared about Brown going back to Atlanta. He’s very politically motivated in regards to black rights and seems very connected to Georgia.

I would also be worried about Detroit and Memphis if Brown tested free agency, they have elite young talent and both are missing an elite wing.

Is this true?  He doesn't seem begrudging to me.

No. It's not true.

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2022, 03:27:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Stop stirring up issues where there is none, or you may be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Lol.  If JB is reading CelticsStrong, all hope is lost.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2022, 03:31:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The amount of angst that can be caused because of a couple pictures is pretty amazing.

Tatum took a picture with Draymond Green....oh no, Tatum wants to go to Golden State

Brown takes pics with Kanye and Irving...oh no he's going to start acting like those two and want out of Boston.

Ridiculous.

Both are their own men. They're both intelligent young men. And neither has said anything publicly other than they want to be Boston Celtics.

Kyrie never said anything publicly, either.  And obviously, Danny should have traded him but held out false hope.

I hope Jaylen is here for the long term, but long-timers generally don’t bash the fans and hang out with flakes who bashed the franchise.  Brad needs to keep a close eye on JB.

« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2022, 03:46:44 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I hope Jaylen is here for the long term, but long-timers generally don’t bash the fans and hang out with flakes who bashed the franchise.  Brad needs to keep a close eye on JB.

This. It’s literally the difference between a potential dynasty and potential ruin. And the clock is ticking on that contract.

I just want more rings. I don’t care who gets it done. If JB does it, I’ll love JB forever. He’ll be royalty throughout an entire region of the country (NE). You’re not getting that winning rings most anywhere else. I just hope both JT and JB realize how truly special it is to be a champion Boston Celtic for time immemorial. In LA or Miami, you’re one of their hot new things, but it’s fleeting and nobody cares after it’s over. But you win a title in Boston? You’re a hero to New England forever.   

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2022, 04:01:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Ridiculous.

Kyrie never said anything publicly, either.  And obviously, Danny should have traded him but held out false hope.

Does "bashing the fans" now constitute liking a tweet that says Boston fans are disrespectful of him? This after the Celtics lost and fans were blaming him in part, as well as including him in trade scenarios.

The man is right. There is a loud vocal portion of the fan base that does disrespect him.

As for who Brown associates with, Tatum has hung with Kobe and Draymond Green, two guys not exactly known for their love of the Celtics. Who knows the people other Celtics players associate with? They could be flakes and not lovers of all things Celtics

This is all much ado about nothing. As long as Brown has a great relationship with Ime, Brad and his teammates that's what matters and as far as that goes, it appears those relationships are excellent.

Heck, new Celtics praise Brown for being one of the first people to call them and welcome them as new Celtics. Doing that doesn't equate with being disgruntled as a Celtic and thinking about leaving.

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2022, 04:13:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Ridiculous.

Does "bashing the fans" now constitute liking a tweet that says Boston fans are disrespectful of him? This after the Celtics lost and fans were blaming him in part, as well as including him in trade scenarios.

The man is right. There is a loud vocal portion of the fan base that does disrespect him.

As for who Brown associates with, Tatum has hung with Kobe and Draymond Green, two guys not exactly known for their love of the Celtics. Who knows the people other Celtics players associate with? They could be flakes and not lovers of all things Celtics

This is all much ado about nothing. As long as Brown has a great relationship with Ime, Brad and his teammates that's what matters and as far as that goes, it appears those relationships are excellent.

Heck, new Celtics praise Brown for being one of the first people to call them and welcome them as new Celtics. Doing that doesn't equate with being disgruntled as a Celtic and thinking about leaving.

Twice this off-season he’s expressed displeasure with the fans.  Now he’s hanging with the guy who abandoned the franchise, burned sage here, stomped on Lucky, called Boston racist and gave fans the middle finger.

It’s sort of like your spouse staying late at “work” a lot and immediately ducking into the shower when they get home, after spending a bunch of time hanging with your cheating ex.  It’s probably nothing, right?

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2022, 04:20:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Ridiculous.

Twice this off-season he’s expressed displeasure with the fans.  Now he’s hanging with the guy who abandoned the franchise, burned sage here, stomped on Lucky, called Boston racist and gave fans the middle finger.

It’s sort of like your spouse staying late at “work” a lot and immediately ducking into the shower when they get home, after spending a bunch of time hanging with your cheating ex.  It’s probably nothing, right?
If that's the stuff bugging fans, they need to get past their immature ways and grow up. Who are the immature flakes, if burning sage in the Garden or stepping on Lucky, which by the way happens in every game, is something upsetting?

Unreal.

« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2022, 04:24:27 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

🤣 🤣 🤣 the ole hopping right into the shower trick is always the tell-tale sign