Author Topic: Less flashy offseason  (Read 1293 times)

Less flashy offseason
« on: June 25, 2022, 07:27:18 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As we all speculate about landing bigger names players into the TPE I was going through the list of all the NBA players earning less then 17.1 mill this next season. A couple of names that jumped out at me.

Wings

Alec Burks, the knicks needs to open up more cap space so he should be available. He fills a lot of percieved roster needs with his outside shooting and 3 ast per game last season. He also his capable of creating his own shot and could take some pressure off the Jays.

Justin Holiday, there was past speculation that the Cs could be interested in him. He would provide solid overall wing play off the bench.

Big
Trey Lyles, this is a pick up I really like the idea of. Replacing Theis with Lyles saves the team money and brings in a big capable on mimicking a lot of what AL provides. This past season he shot roughly 40% from corner 3s on over 300 attempts.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Less flashy offseason
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 07:36:54 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
That is definitely less flashy. I am falling asleep.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 08:10:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Ultimate less flashy

Madar and Berg join the team. Thomas and Fitts out.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 09:49:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
I have a hard time trusting Alec Burks. He has been so up and down throughout his career. I have bought in on him several times and he has responded by falling apart and playing terribly.

He was completely unreliable in Utah. Then he bounces around as an end of bench minimum contract guy for a few years being unreliable as ever. Now he finds a home in NY and does well but ... is he trustworthy? Can he maintain that level of play?

Furthermore,Thibs has had a lot of success in his offenses with bench guards and 3rd stringers who are mediocre talent. Guys like John Lucas III. I'm not sure how much I trust those guys outside of his system.

Then there is the other issue of Burks needing a fair bit of the ball and to be heavily involved in order to get any consistency out of him -- and even that does not always work. How will he do if he doesn't get enough touches? Enough dribbles? Will his shot fall apart again? Will his game go in the toilet?

I'd feel much safer taking a chance on just about anyone else. Kennard, Duncan Robinson, Fournier, whoever else we've been linked to.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 09:45:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think these kinds of moves are what we will get, and not big splashy stuff.   Not these exact ones but along these lines.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 11:05:20 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Ultimate less flashy

on madar and begarin (I assume this is whom you referred to when you wrote "berg"), everything i am reading says neither is ready for the nba right now. indeed, reports say that right now madar is not as good as pritchard. begarin seems physically ready for the nba with his athleticism, but his ball handling, shooting, and decision-making need improvement.

if they join the celtics now i suspect they will head north and become fighting crustaceans for much of the season. so why not keep them overseas for this year if they, at best, become the 13th, 14th, or 15th player on the roster?

overseas for this year seems a better option for everyone. they get much needed playing time and the celtics get better roster flexibility.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 11:07:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ultimate less flashy

on madar and begarin (I assume this is whom you referred to when you wrote "berg"), everything i am reading says neither is ready for the nba right now. indeed, reports say that right now madar is not as good as pritchard. begarin seems physically ready for the nba with his athleticism, but his ball handling, shooting, and decision-making need improvement.

if they join the celtics now i suspect they will head north and become fighting crustaceans for much of the season. so why not keep them overseas for this year if they, at best, become the 13th, 14th, or 15th player on the roster?

overseas for this year seems a better option for everyone. they get much needed playing time and the celtics get better roster flexibility.
this.

team needs to add some competent vets for the bench, not youth requiring lots of improvement just to get garbage minutes in blowouts

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 11:48:46 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not flashy at all: Everybody gets healthy and improves at one skill.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The few times I've seen Trey Lyles, he has looked like a black hole on offense.  Not sure if that's truly representative of his game or not, but I haven't seen otherwise which makes me not very interested.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 02:16:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Spooney on Reddit podcast chose Alec Burks as the number one target.  Profile fits our team needs well, good 3 point shooter, secondary playmaking, decent defender. Boring but sometimes boring is good. He really dismissed some other fan favorites like Kuzma, whose advanced stats are pretty dreadful.