Author Topic: Welcome JD Davison!  (Read 10401 times)

Re: Welcome JD Davison!
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2022, 11:31:02 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I was actually watching JD Davison for the draft before we made the White trade but stopped watching after that trade and wasn't concerned about the draft for the rest of the wild rollercoaster of the season. Davison needs to tighten up his game and work on that outside shot but I like that he's a freak athlete. He's a quick guard with long arms and quick feet. For a 53rd pick, he's solid.

44.5-inch vertical!
Looks like I'm going to be watching the Maine Celtics quite a bit this season. I can see why they like him just from the clips. But it also seems like we're hexed when it comes to drafting guys with shooting ability. Even guys who can supposedly shoot, like Nesmith, become masters of the clank when they join this organization.

Hauser can still shoot even in incredibly limited minutes.

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2022, 02:38:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Low Risk, High Reward. 

Hauser can shoot but what other facet of the game does he do well.  I can think of one other area.

I read a scouting report where it says his weakness is shooting, defense and ball-handling.

I saw one by Coach Spinella, who said he was athletic but not a high flyer.   I usually have high regard for his scouting vids, but it was clear he did not watch Davison much at all.   

He has athletic ability you can't teach.

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2022, 02:40:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Low Risk, High Reward. 

Hauser can shoot but what other facet of the game does he do well.  I can think of one other area.
wave a towel from the bench??
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2022, 02:47:00 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Ja Morant shot 30.7% from 3 his freshman year at Murray State to JD's 30.1%.  Morant also averaged 3.8 TO's / game in his two years in college - albeit with better assist numbers.  JD averaged 2.8 TO's in fewer minutes.

And, no, I'm not saying JD will become Ja Morant. My point is that a super athletic guy can improve on his shooting and handle and with the 53rd pick, there is some upside in this guy if he improves in those two areas.

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2022, 03:07:51 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Ja Morant shot 30.7% from 3 his freshman year at Murray State to JD's 30.1%.  Morant also averaged 3.8 TO's / game in his two years in college - albeit with better assist numbers.  JD averaged 2.8 TO's in fewer minutes.

And, no, I'm not saying JD will become Ja Morant. My point is that a super athletic guy can improve on his shooting and handle and with the 53rd pick, there is some upside in this guy if he improves in those two areas.

I was going to say that JD reminded me of Ja, not that he was him but similar game but thought I'd get jumped on with both feet. But it's a good comp although JD is at a much lower level.... I think that players like Ja and JD are much better off in the NBA. Players with freak athleticism and highlight plays. excel much more in the NBA than in college.

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2022, 03:09:20 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Low Risk, High Reward. 

I read a scouting report where it says his weakness is shooting, defense and ball-handling.

I saw one by Coach Spinella, who said he was athletic but not a high flyer.   I usually have high regard for his scouting vids, but it was clear he did not watch Davison much at all.   

Hauser is an elite shooter and isn't a liability at anything else based on limited minutes and Summer League.

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2022, 03:12:02 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Davison is just a freak athlete.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2022/06/24/celtics-nba-draft-jd-davison-alabama-guard-tony-tsoukalas-analysis-reaction/

"When you talk about his dunking ability, and the power in his game, Ja Morant comes to mind. He’s a bigger kid than Ja and is pretty muscular. I think he could be a real menace. He’s almost like Marcus Smart in terms of being an absolute unit. In the past, Alabama has produced point guards like Kira Lewis and Collin Sexton who were more scrawny. JD is not that. He’s a tough guy that can bang bodies in the NBA. "

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2022, 03:33:33 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Low Risk, High Reward. 

Hauser is an elite shooter and isn't a liability at anything else based on limited minutes and Summer League.
It would be in the organization's best interest to find out soon whether he can play or not. And the only way to determine that is to actually give him consistent minutes.

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2022, 03:35:13 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Low Risk, High Reward. 

It would be in the organization's best interest to find out soon whether he can play or not. And the only way to determine that is to actually give him consistent minutes.

I 100% agree.

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2022, 03:49:55 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Davison is just a freak athlete.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2022/06/24/celtics-nba-draft-jd-davison-alabama-guard-tony-tsoukalas-analysis-reaction/

"When you talk about his dunking ability, and the power in his game, Ja Morant comes to mind. He’s a bigger kid than Ja and is pretty muscular. I think he could be a real menace. He’s almost like Marcus Smart in terms of being an absolute unit. In the past, Alabama has produced point guards like Kira Lewis and Collin Sexton who were more scrawny. JD is not that. He’s a tough guy that can bang bodies in the NBA. "

That’s good news ….I can’t stomach another KO

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2022, 03:56:49 PM »

Offline jameson416

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 7
Long time follower, rarely post. Been a Celtics fan since the late 90s, and that only intensified as I have gotten older. In my house, it's:
1) Alabama football
2) Celtics basketball

Anyway, enough about me, I only gave the background to provide a window of insight (alabama born and raised, still live here) that probably not many C's fans have.

Before this draft, knowing we only had a late 2nd, I hoped that maybe he would slip a little and we could trade up bcz I thought there was no way JD would fall to us. There should be NO (zero) hate with this pick. This guy was a big-time recruit, that came to UA with a ton of fanfare/upside potential. Much of our fan base clamored that he needed to come back another year to develop (probably true, but, his decision). The 2 biggest opposing arguments were that his game/skillset suits the nba better and that he's from letohatchee, which is basically the middle of nowhere. Both are true, and according to nate oats, one and done was the plan all along anyway.

Anyway, this guy had a few nagging injuries that limited him much of the season, but he was still the best athlete on the floor nearly every time out. He's never had to refine his game, bcz he's always been the best athlete in the gym. Hes always played hard and with grit, and everything points to him being committed to working hard. Speaking purely from the standpoint of development, he's the perfect fit for us and we're the perfect situation for him. Not saying he's gonna be an all nba guy, but there's not anyone else we could've gotten with his level of potential upside at such a low cost.

Playing against Marcus smart will be HUGE for JD, and he could definitely surprise us in the future. Hopeful for the best!

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2022, 04:41:02 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Long time follower, rarely post. Been a Celtics fan since the late 90s, and that only intensified as I have gotten older. In my house, it's:
1) Alabama football
2) Celtics basketball

Anyway, enough about me, I only gave the background to provide a window of insight (alabama born and raised, still live here) that probably not many C's fans have.

Before this draft, knowing we only had a late 2nd, I hoped that maybe he would slip a little and we could trade up bcz I thought there was no way JD would fall to us. There should be NO (zero) hate with this pick. This guy was a big-time recruit, that came to UA with a ton of fanfare/upside potential. Much of our fan base clamored that he needed to come back another year to develop (probably true, but, his decision). The 2 biggest opposing arguments were that his game/skillset suits the nba better and that he's from letohatchee, which is basically the middle of nowhere. Both are true, and according to nate oats, one and done was the plan all along anyway.

Anyway, this guy had a few nagging injuries that limited him much of the season, but he was still the best athlete on the floor nearly every time out. He's never had to refine his game, bcz he's always been the best athlete in the gym. Hes always played hard and with grit, and everything points to him being committed to working hard. Speaking purely from the standpoint of development, he's the perfect fit for us and we're the perfect situation for him. Not saying he's gonna be an all nba guy, but there's not anyone else we could've gotten with his level of potential upside at such a low cost.

Playing against Marcus smart will be HUGE for JD, and he could definitely surprise us in the future. Hopeful for the best!

Thanks for the insight from a #Bama fan, that said, #GoDawgs!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2022, 04:58:38 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
1) Alabama football
2) Celtics basketball

Great post, TP. Please post more often! Lol. Also, I watched some tape of JD and his stroke doesn’t look bad at all. I was worried that he might have a hitch or something. I’m excited to see him in SL.

Scouting report before last years NCAA season:

Five-star point guard Jerdarrian “J.D.” Davison – the state’s top 2021 basketball player – committed to Alabama late Saturday afternoon.

The 6-foot-3 standout, who led Calhoun to the Class 2A state title last spring, narrowed his choices to Auburn, Alabama, Michigan, Kansas, LSU and Memphis on Aug. 21. He moved his announcement up from Oct. 31 to today, his 18th birthday.

Davison is ranked as the No. 9 overall player in the nation, according to 247 sports. He averaged 30.4 points, 12 rebounds and 5 assists as a junior.

“He’s a very well-rounded player, a very intelligent player,” Calhoun coach Ervin Starr said in the spring. “A lot of people see the athleticism, but they don’t understand his basketball IQ is phenomenal. He makes it look easy, but he puts a lot of work into learning his craft.”

Last year, Davison became just the fifth junior to win the state’s Mr. Basketball Award.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2020/10/reigning-mr-basketball-5-star-pg-jd-davison-commits-to-alabama.html?outputType=amp
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 05:09:03 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2022, 05:36:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2022, 05:58:37 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
I could have easily seen Davison staying at Alabama another year, averaging 14/6/5, improving his jumper, and being a top 20 pick in 2023. This is good value late in the draft.