Author Topic: Welcome JD Davison!  (Read 10390 times)

Re: Welcome JD Davison!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 02:45:57 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Bad shooter and high turnover rate.

Exactly the guy you wanna take after a truly brutalizing finals series.

Ehh whatever... good luck JD, we're all pulling for you to be the next second round fairy tale
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 03:15:43 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Heard he's got turnover issues...perfect fit for our team!  ::)

He will at least be among friends.

In addition to his record turnover rate, he is a very inconsistent shooter - he will fit right in.

The NBA draft used to go for 10 rounds I think, so back then a 2nd round pick was looked at very differently than now.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 03:50:18 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Brad Stevens on JD Davison: "Very young, very explosive, that's pretty obvious. Has the ability to get inside the paint and make plays and has some things he'll have to improve on, but he's a good competitor."

Sounds like, and looks like, a raw athlete. A developmental player according to Stevens, so don't worry about those TOs, he won't be in the rotation, but one knew that before the night began.

Did seem like a weak draft though.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 04:13:04 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
At 53rd pick it’s a gamble anyhow..might have something here, might not..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 04:13:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
At 53rd pick it’s a gamble anyhow..might have something here, might not..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 05:33:33 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I can’t find the quote, but earlier in the season Stevens said that one of the things he learned in making the jump from coaching in college to the pros was how critically important having a baseline level of athleticism was to having success in the NBA.  And so, in the late second when you’re choosing between the athletic guys who have a lot of work to do on their basketball and the basketball players who are limited athletically, it doesn’t surprise me at all that he’d make a pick like this, just as he did with Begarin last year.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 05:38:23 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Never heard of the guy. From what I read, he seems like a low-BBIQ, score-first, uber-explosive, undersized slasher. Meh... Even if he realizes his full potential, he'd still likely be a bad fit next to the Jays. Last thing we need is a turnover machine running the point.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 05:43:44 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 05:47:24 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Wonder how long he will last.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 05:53:48 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He needs a year to develop. Would keep him in g-league the whole year. Do not try to rush this kid. Let him work on his game and keep his confidence down there till he improves enough to make the leap.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 06:01:19 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Derrick White is happy, he is no longer the ugliest Celtic.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 06:43:49 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I can’t find the quote, but earlier in the season Stevens said that one of the things he learned in making the jump from coaching in college to the pros was how critically important having a baseline level of athleticism was to having success in the NBA.  And so, in the late second when you’re choosing between the athletic guys who have a lot of work to do on their basketball and the basketball players who are limited athletically, it doesn’t surprise me at all that he’d make a pick like this, just as he did with Begarin last year.

This seems like a reasonable take to me. Coupled with the fact that any player selected won’t see the floor for a couple years.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 06:47:28 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Brad didn't exactly give him the seal of approval.

“Tonight was about finding somebody that we could invest in, that we could put a lot of time into, that we could help grow in their young career, and hopefully help JD or whoever we picked in that spot get better and really start their career off on the right foot with an investment from a staff and an organization for the long term. So we weren’t looking for anybody, necessarily, that was going to come in and change the game for our team at 53. And so we talked about moving up, but parting with significant players on our team or parting with draft assets that you can use with these [trade exceptions] and those types of things didn’t make much sense.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/06/24/sports/celtics-select-alabama-guard-jd-davison-second-round-nba-draft/

I can see where he's coming from, even though people talk about Jokic or Buckets or IT being picked in the 2nd round, it's hard to find gems...it's hard enough to get it right picking in the first round, let alone the second. We all want that diamond in the rough but end of day it's a 2nd rounder...it would be very unlikely anyone we picked would move the needle for us next year. We'll see what comes about with JD.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 07:15:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yawn  :blank:

Hopefully he blossoms into IT 2.0
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 07:28:33 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2022, 07:26:04 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
A guard version of Begarin, it looks like. Only 19, immense physical tools, but might need YEARS of coaching to reach his potential. Perfectly fine gamble with number 53.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2022, 07:26:56 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Open and up front, know nothing about him.  The talent is there for sure, five star recruit out of high school, chose Bama over Auburn, LSU, Memphis, Michigan and Kansas and was Mr. basketball in Bama.  Sounds a lot like the path Romeo took, five star recruit, number of top colleges recruited him, can't shoot, etc....

Look, at 53, I think you're looking for that guy, the one that may slip through, the one not many others scouted.  This might be him.  Like I said, five star recruit, Mr. Basketball, McDonald's All American, there is something there, hoping Ime can find it!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."