Author Topic: Time Lord (Unpopular Opinion)  (Read 2446 times)

Re: Time Lord (Unpopular Opinion)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 09:20:10 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Where there's an appreciable difference over the last 3 years, the advanced stats favor TL (Anunoby's first two years sucked as did TL's rookie year, and all are excluded below).

OGA vs TL
Advanced Stats
PER 14 vs 23
TS% 58 vs 73
TRB% 9 vs 18
BLK% 2 vs 8
ORtg  113 vs 143
DRtg 109 vs 103

Overall Adjusted +/-

RAPTOR 1.4 vs 2.6
EPM 1.9 vs 2.0
REAL +/- 1.0 vs 1.8

From my review of the stats, I'd say that Anunoby's strength is defense and he's nothing special offensively as witnessed by his PER and in the Adjusted +/- stats.

If we did this deal we'd pay Anunoby an average of $6.8 million more per year for the next three years for a 6'7 SF (the same position the Js share). He's averaged 6 more games played per year over the last 3 years than TL.

Anunoby's a good player, but TL is a unicorn. I would not do this deal.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 09:22:46 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I’m not worried about sell high or whatever.  What I want to know is what is the expected return.  My guess is the fans wish loaf would be pie in the sky type stuff.  Rob has value but he’s not the centerpiece for a star trade.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 09:37:22 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Imagine if the Sixers had felt the same way and dumped Embiid early on. After all, he will never stay healthy!

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 09:48:25 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Imagine if the Sixers had felt the same way and dumped Embiid early on. After all, he will never stay healthy!
Apples and oranges. Embiid can create his own shot. He's a legit MVP-level talent. Timelord cannot put the ball on the floor to save his life. He's elite at what he does well but he's a rim runner, hence a role player.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 09:51:57 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Sell high is Al Jefferson for Kevin Garnett.

Timelord for borderline All-Stars or less, who make 2-3x as much, with similar talents available for our TPE sounds awful to me...

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 01:43:48 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Even I would no longer dare suggest trading Timelord. Come on. When it comes to bigs, there’s Jokic, Embiid and then, yep, there’s Timelord. He’s that good. He’s surpassed KAT and AD, as far as I’m concerned. Anybody who watches our games can see how dominant our D is with him when he’s healthy compared to when he’s out. You literally do not trade him unless somehow Jokic or Embiid became available (their D is not comparable, but overall they are better and at the margin we would be better with them compared to Timelord). You just do not.

What the team ought to do is spend millions giving Timelord the best care and nutrition team possible. Heck, pay Tom Brady whatever it takes to get him to talk to Timelord for a couple hours about how it’s done. Whatever it takes to get the guy conditioned and ready to stay on the court. And let him stay off the court the remainder of calendar year 2022. Give him a ton of time and resources to become 100% such that he can stay 100%. People wanna talk about a Big 3, well, Timelord is positioned to be that true number two to JT. Defensive player of the year. All-NBA. Those could be in the cards for this talented young man and we’ve got him secured on a bargain contract for four years. Brilliant, Brad! In Brad we trust.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:54:25 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 01:57:26 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Torn.

I think he’s a very important piece of our defense.  However, if we could acquire Noel (for instance) to do a decent impression of Rob defensively while trading Rob to significantly upgrade our roster elsewhere, I’d listen. 

It would have to be a knockout offer though - I’m talking about a star-caliber acquisition.  I don’t view Rob as untradeable but I do value him highly.

This is a reasonable idea. I mean, if we get Noel with a TPE, maybe we see what kind of all-star wing or guard we can get for Timelord. Maybe a move like that gets us over the hump. But it would have to be a two-way all-star in his 20s or 31/30 at most.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:02:41 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 02:00:04 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Apples and oranges. Embiid can create his own shot. He's a legit MVP-level talent. Timelord cannot put the ball on the floor to save his life. He's elite at what he does well but he's a rim runner, hence a role player.

Are you watching the same games as me? When Timelord and everyone else is 100% healthy (both of our top defenders were playing injured in the Finals), we have perhaps the best defense of all-time. When Timelord is not healthy, we take a large drop.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 03:40:44 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
His contract doesn't expire for years. Weird concern

Right now, RobW's talent outshines his health problems, specifically because of the season he just had. If you wait another year or two to move him and he continues to have injury problems, his health will become the bigger issue.

"So what if he has all that talent if we can't keep him on the floor" will be the the league-wide perception.
Celts get more back right now than if they were negotiating from weakness, two more injury-prone seasons from now.

I've heard he is a team-first guy and his abilities are just now starting to blossom. I love having all these home-grown players and would really like to see Rob stay and be a long-term success. Has there been any explanation as to why he has so many physical breakdowns ? Is there a physiological explanation and can it be medically addressed ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 08:20:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Even I would no longer dare suggest trading Timelord. Come on. When it comes to bigs, there’s Jokic, Embiid and then, yep, there’s Timelord. He’s that good. He’s surpassed KAT and AD, as far as I’m concerned. Anybody who watches our games can see how dominant our D is with him when he’s healthy compared to when he’s out. You literally do not trade him unless somehow Jokic or Embiid became available (their D is not comparable, but overall they are better and at the margin we would be better with them compared to Timelord). You just do not.

What the team ought to do is spend millions giving Timelord the best care and nutrition team possible. Heck, pay Tom Brady whatever it takes to get him to talk to Timelord for a couple hours about how it’s done. Whatever it takes to get the guy conditioned and ready to stay on the court. And let him stay off the court the remainder of calendar year 2022. Give him a ton of time and resources to become 100% such that he can stay 100%. People wanna talk about a Big 3, well, Timelord is positioned to be that true number two to JT. Defensive player of the year. All-NBA. Those could be in the cards for this talented young man and we’ve got him secured on a bargain contract for four years. Brilliant, Brad! In Brad we trust.
so it isn't just trades that you take crazy pills for. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 10:45:48 AM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'm concerned about his health as well.  But he's so good when he's healthy, I think he's worth the risk.  I would not trade him for anything I think we could get for him.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Timelord is pretty unbelievable as a talent. But his playstyle makes it seem like his career won’t be a long one. We need to conserve his minutes and this means Theis really needs to buy us a lot of minutes during the regular season.
- LilRip