Author Topic: Celtics offseason needs to focus on 8th man  (Read 2891 times)

Re: Celtics offseason needs to focus on 8th man
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2022, 02:30:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think it will very much be someone in the 6th-8th spot.  My preference would be to make a run at Luke Kennard, whom I think will be moved, but in any case it would be surprising if we didn’t add a wing.

Some relevant quotes from Brad:

I think we have to walk a fine line a little bit. I think teams are fragile,” Stevens said. “I think the way teams work together and operate together are fragile. And I think your identity as a team, when you find one that’s successful — which we did this year on the defensive end of the floor and when we were at our best sharing the ball offensively — those things are fragile. So just to add doesn’t mean that you’re not taking something away from the group. And to change significant pieces in the group doesn’t mean that that might not totally take your identity and shift it in a direction that’s not as successful.

With our group in particular, it’s not as much about blindly acquiring talent as it is fitting a team together,” he said. “We’ve got some very, very talented guys, and they are young. So it’s about how do we fit together, bring our strengths together to accentuate each other.

And the challenge, again, is making sure whatever you do around the margins of our roster, we have a unique identity and we have uniqueness in our size and our ability to be versatile all across the board. So we have to take that into account when we are adding to our team.

I don’t expect a big shakeup, which makes sense given a core that is largely still at or younger than peak age.

I find these perspectives accurate.  You do have to be careful.  Look at how many teams end up totally messed up.  Another telling statement in my mind is his reference to "around the margins of our roster".  He is coming right out and saying that any changes he makes will be "around the margins" and that even with these types of changes, he is going to be very careful about altering their "unique identity".

Teams need to be open to anything in the off season but this seems pretty clear that he is not looking to change the core.  I think that is the correct approach but I will caveat that by saying you never know what opportunities may present themselves.  I agree that if we can bring in a vet wing 6th man type and maybe a decent up an coming PF, great.  That should be plan A.  But we also need to keep an open mind if something out of the blue presents itself (and I suspect the team will be).

His words almost scare me ...

I agree with the general idea he is representing but CBS sounds too conservative / reluctant to making major for my liking. I'd like to hear him be a bit more open about being opportunistic if the right opportunity were to present itself even if meant moving away from this team's current core or identity.

Too risk adverse ... I guess is what worries me when I read those words.
So you're worried and scared of not taking enough risk?  This team was 2 wins away from a championship.

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2022, 02:37:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think it will very much be someone in the 6th-8th spot.  My preference would be to make a run at Luke Kennard, whom I think will be moved, but in any case it would be surprising if we didn’t add a wing.

I think we have to walk a fine line a little bit. I think teams are fragile,” Stevens said. “I think the way teams work together and operate together are fragile. And I think your identity as a team, when you find one that’s successful — which we did this year on the defensive end of the floor and when we were at our best sharing the ball offensively — those things are fragile. So just to add doesn’t mean that you’re not taking something away from the group. And to change significant pieces in the group doesn’t mean that that might not totally take your identity and shift it in a direction that’s not as successful.

With our group in particular, it’s not as much about blindly acquiring talent as it is fitting a team together,” he said. “We’ve got some very, very talented guys, and they are young. So it’s about how do we fit together, bring our strengths together to accentuate each other.

And the challenge, again, is making sure whatever you do around the margins of our roster, we have a unique identity and we have uniqueness in our size and our ability to be versatile all across the board. So we have to take that into account when we are adding to our team.

I don’t expect a big shakeup, which makes sense given a core that is largely still at or younger than peak age.

I find these perspectives accurate.  You do have to be careful.  Look at how many teams end up totally messed up.  Another telling statement in my mind is his reference to "around the margins of our roster".  He is coming right out and saying that any changes he makes will be "around the margins" and that even with these types of changes, he is going to be very careful about altering their "unique identity".

Teams need to be open to anything in the off season but this seems pretty clear that he is not looking to change the core.  I think that is the correct approach but I will caveat that by saying you never know what opportunities may present themselves.  I agree that if we can bring in a vet wing 6th man type and maybe a decent up an coming PF, great.  That should be plan A.  But we also need to keep an open mind if something out of the blue presents itself (and I suspect the team will be).

I agree with the general idea he is representing but CBS sounds too conservative / reluctant to making major for my liking. I'd like to hear him be a bit more open about being opportunistic if the right opportunity were to present itself even if meant moving away from this team's current core or identity.

So you're worried and scared of not taking enough risk?  This team was 2 wins away from a championship.

Yeah too afraid of messing with chemistry.

Chemistry is good and all but I don't want to see CBS closed off to opportunities to add top tier talent next to the Jays in fear of messing with chemistry.

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2022, 02:41:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Chemistry is good and all but I don't want to see CBS closed off to opportunities to add top tier talent next to the Jays in fear of messing with chemistry.

They call that the Kyrie effect.

;D

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2022, 02:42:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

They call that the Kyrie effect.

;D

It does feel like that. Like CBS is so scarred from coaching that team that he is reluctant to do anything that threatens the chemistry that this current group has together.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2022, 04:02:46 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
Celtics really just a Curry type player away from dynasty tbf - what does that mean?

Handle the ball (safely)
Distribute the ball (safely)
Set the pace (safely)
Finish/Score (smartly)
Be a Leader (example)

We dont find that - then turnover machine will continue forever and always until somehow either Jay learns the above lol
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2022, 05:52:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Personally, I think the focus should be on trying to find a 6th man in terms of talent. Not necessarily in terms of how many minutes will actually be played, but a guy who can push White & co. one step down the depth chart.

Specifically, I mean on offence. Someone who can score and shoot better and more efficiently than White. That's my ideal target.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2022, 05:53:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Celtics really just a Curry type player away from dynasty tbf - what does that mean?

Handle the ball (safely)
Set the pace (safely)
Finish/Score (smartly)
Be a Leader (example)

We dont find that - then turnover machine will continue forever and always until somehow either Jay learns the above lol
Did you really just say the Celtics are a top 2 point guard of all-time away from a dynasty? Lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2022, 06:41:50 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan

Handle the ball (safely)
Set the pace (safely)
Finish/Score (smartly)
Be a Leader (example)

Did you really just say the Celtics are a top 2 point guard of all-time away from a dynasty? Lol

I said Curry type - not a top 2 point guard of all-time - need the above qualities to be done at a level that is allstar+
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!