Author Topic: Does the NBA need some sort of hard cap?  (Read 1969 times)

Re: Does the NBA need some sort of hard cap?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 08:02:25 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Wyc and co need to get the checkbook out, their are plenty of avenues for the Celtics to add salary, they have contracts, exceptions etc, otherwise can not blame Tatum if he leaves in a few years.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 08:16:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I don't think the luxury tax is working as intended, so I do think reform is needed. Whether that's a hard cap, changing the CBA itself (no max contracts, for example) or something else, who knows.

The players would have to go along with those changes and the top players have a lot of pull.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 09:33:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't think the luxury tax is working as intended, so I do think reform is needed. Whether that's a hard cap, changing the CBA itself (no max contracts, for example) or something else, who knows.

The players would have to go along with those changes and the top players have a lot of pull.
I think the top players would be perfectly alright with removing max contracts. The other ideas, not so sure.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 09:53:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I think the top players would be perfectly alright with removing max contracts. The other ideas, not so sure.
I have always advocated for eliminating the max player contract (at least dollars, I'm ok with some years component).  Keep the team salary cap though.  I think that would actually help and it would actually lower salaries for guys in the star, but not superstar range.  In many respects the fact that there is a max contract negatively affects the negotiation for those older guys or borderline star type players.  I think the max contract is sort of just expected for players, when if there wasn't a max contracts would actually be more reasonable.  Sure the guys like Giannis would command obscene amounts of money without a cap, but a guy like Middleton would probably take a pay cut. 

And that would also help teams keep their players.  If the Raptors could have offered Kawhi twice the money the Clippers could, I suspect Kawhi would still be in Toronto (as an example). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip