Author Topic: How much would you be willing to shake up this team?  (Read 5423 times)

Re: How much would you be willing to shake up this team?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2022, 12:45:59 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Celtics co-owner and governor Wyc Grousbeck shed some more light on the luxury tax, ownership and spending when asked Tuesday on 98.5′s Felger and Mazz show.

“The reason that we bought the Celtics in the first place — and I got 20 guys together to do it — was so that we could vindicate, try to take care of this great thing much bigger than any of us that truly great people put together before us,” Grousbeck said. “We’re trying to do everything we can for the Celtics. It’s been that way since 2003. There’s no question. Whatever needs to be done, can be done, can possibly be done.

“I’ve had four different in-person conversations with Brad and Ime (Udoka) in the last four days, and it’s been: ‘Let’s go.’ That’s the way it’ll be for as long as we have a team that can compete. We are really excited and can’t wait to see what happens.”

Wyc could be lying too though.

I'm sure he is.  They've paid $50 million in luxury tax since buying the team, despite $700+ million in profit and $2 billion in appreciation.  Despite being to the ECF four of the past six seasons, we've spent a total of $3.4 million in tax since 2013.

But sure, we're going to go all-in.  Lol.  I guess I'm just a cynic.  I'm open to a friendly wager, though.  Steak dinner?

I take that bet. We 100% will be tax payers this season.

Well, "tax payers" isn't the bet.  I agree that we'll pay tax.  Otherwise, our off-season would basically be dumping Theis and signing a bunch of vet minimum guys. 

colin thinks that we'll exceed the tax by an amount substantially higher than $10 million.  So, let's say the bet is that we won't exceed the tax by $17 million or more.  Still in?  If so, we can wager the cost of a ribeye at the steakhouse of your choosing.  I'd prefer to keep this in the Texas Roadhouse / Longhorn category, but if you want to go to a Ruth's Chris or Grill 23 level, cool.
I'll take the bet at 15 mil ;)

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2022, 10:15:03 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The Tax that is paid by Teams goes where?

Is it the NBA and is distributed to other Teams or something different?

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2022, 10:23:27 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The Tax that is paid by Teams goes where?

Is it the NBA and is distributed to other Teams or something different?

The luxury tax goes to NBA teams under the cap and is divided evenly.