Author Topic: Nicolas Batum?  (Read 2441 times)

Re: Nicolas Batum?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 08:49:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
If it were me, I'd turn down that chump-change option too.  He should easily command $10M/year maybe more.

He made $3.3M last season. Not sure what he did to warrant $10M+ per year going forward.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 09:24:00 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 07:34:13 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If it were me, I'd turn down that chump-change option too.  He should easily command $10M/year maybe more.
who is going to pay him that?
agreed.  been a while since he was worth that.  would consider the Schroder TPE slot for him though provided he passes a physical and the coach's eye test

He's a FA and we're not doing a Sign and Trade. The $6.4 million MLE is our carrot. I suspect he ends up back with the Clippers:

LA Clippers forward Nicolas Batum will decline his $3.3 million player option and become a free agent, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. There's expected to be mutual interest with the Clippers and Batum on reaching a new deal in July, sources said.
and as I predicted, he's worth about a $10M contract.
Rival NBA executives who spoke with HoopsHype believe Batum could command an average annual salary of $10 million.
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rumors-bradley-beal-bobby-portis-nicolas-batum-lakers-nets/

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 02:32:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Los Angeles Clippers forward Nicolas Batum is declining his $3.3 million player option to hit free agency, but it is widely expected that he will re-sign a new two-year deal, league sources told Yahoo Sports. It is anticipated that the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns and Utah Jazz will have strong interest in trying to pry away the 14-year veteran from Clipper Land, sources said. But the Clippers are in the driver’s seat, sources said. 52 mins ago – via Chris Haynes @ Yahoo! Sports

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 02:42:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

He made $3.3M last season. Not sure what he did to warrant $10M+ per year going forward.

We say that but then FA begins and we see guys getting paid a ton, including a lot of surprises lol. Wouldn't surprise me if he got at least 8M+ AAV

It's not just the player and his talents but the market too. He's going to have a lot of suitors as the tweet implies
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 03:15:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
who is going to pay him that?
agreed.  been a while since he was worth that.  would consider the Schroder TPE slot for him though provided he passes a physical and the coach's eye test

He's a FA and we're not doing a Sign and Trade. The $6.4 million MLE is our carrot. I suspect he ends up back with the Clippers:

LA Clippers forward Nicolas Batum will decline his $3.3 million player option and become a free agent, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. There's expected to be mutual interest with the Clippers and Batum on reaching a new deal in July, sources said.
and as I predicted, he's worth about a $10M contract.
Rival NBA executives who spoke with HoopsHype believe Batum could command an average annual salary of $10 million.
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rumors-bradley-beal-bobby-portis-nicolas-batum-lakers-nets/
Again, who is going to pay him that? 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 04:26:04 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

The Clippers can offer $10M, they are going to be paying Tax anyway, so they probably are not all that worried about paying a little more if they believe Batum is an important enough player.  There will be a lot of teams that can offer the tax payer MLE (including the Celtics) at about $6.4M but teams in that situation cannot offer any more than that and since they are already paying the tax, they can't do a sign and trade without sending out a lot of salary.

It sounds to me like the Clippers could probably get him for say $7.5M.  That beats all of the tax paying teams and teams that have cap space or who can offer the non-taxpayer MLE, probably are not looking to spend $10M on a player like Batum.

I don't know what level of interest the Clippers have but someone is sure trying to make it seem like they do.  It could be just his agent trying to set a market price for him.  If I was Batum, and wanted to get out of LA, I would just shop myself around at the tax payer MLE ($6.4M).  Then he could probably pick his team.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 04:30:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The Clippers can offer $10M, they are going to be paying Tax anyway, so they probably are not all that worried about paying a little more if they believe Batum is an important enough player.  There will be a lot of teams that can offer the tax payer MLE (including the Celtics) at about $6.4M but teams in that situation cannot offer any more than that and since they are already paying the tax, they can't do a sign and trade without sending out a lot of salary.

It sounds to me like the Clippers could probably get him for say $7.5M.  That beats all of the tax paying teams and teams that have cap space or who can offer the non-taxpayer MLE, probably are not looking to spend $10M on a player like Batum.

I don't know what level of interest the Clippers have but someone is sure trying to make it seem like they do.  It could be just his agent trying to set a market price for him.  If I was Batum, and wanted to get out of LA, I would just shop myself around at the tax payer MLE ($6.4M).  Then he could probably pick his team.
I think the TMLE is fine, but as you say that is well below 10 million a year (even with increases).  I just don't think Batum is a 10 million AAV player in this market.  Maybe he will get it.  I mean the Celtics gave Tristan Thompson that ridiculous contract that was well above market value, so anything is possible, but I just don't see a team thinking, yeah Batum, he is the guy that is going to make all the difference let's give him 10 million a year.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2022, 05:25:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think the TMLE is fine, but as you say that is well below 10 million a year (even with increases).  I just don't think Batum is a 10 million AAV player in this market.  Maybe he will get it.  I mean the Celtics gave Tristan Thompson that ridiculous contract that was well above market value, so anything is possible, but I just don't see a team thinking, yeah Batum, he is the guy that is going to make all the difference let's give him 10 million a year.
That's not the way I look at it. 10 million per year is pretty common these days for a vet with good skills.  Heck there are a slew of skilled vets making $10-20M range.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2022, 06:21:24 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Pass..33 already and you can get at least 2 players with what he will want
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2022, 08:21:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

That's not the way I look at it. 10 million per year is pretty common these days for a vet with good skills.  Heck there are a slew of skilled vets making $10-20M range.
very few guys in his skill range that are 33 and entering year 15 sign those type of contracts.