Author Topic: Nicolas Batum?  (Read 2443 times)

Nicolas Batum?
« on: June 21, 2022, 10:14:17 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Adrian Wojnarowski: Clippers F Nic Batum will decline his $3.3M player option and become a free agent, sources tell ESPN.

I wouldn’t mind him coming off the bench as a backup for Tatum. He’s 6’8”, 230lbs and can play the 3/4. Last year he averaged 8.3pts and 4.3rebs, while shooting 40% from 3pt. C’s biggest area of need is a wing and Nic would be a nice 3+D player to have.

The Clippers have a bunch of 2/3’s on their bench… Mann, Powell, Kennard,Morris, Coffee. If they bring back Batum either him or Covington would be coming off the bench as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:58:10 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Nicolas Batum?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd defiantly kick the tires in him. He fits that need, give the Jays better breaks.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 11:47:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If it were me, I'd turn down that chump-change option too.  He should easily command $10M/year maybe more.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 11:48:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If it were me, I'd turn down that chump-change option too.  He should easily command $10M/year maybe more.
who is going to pay him that?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 11:54:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
agreed.  been a while since he was worth that.  would consider the Schroder TPE slot for him though provided he passes a physical and the coach's eye test

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 11:55:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The Clippers?  lol

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 12:06:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The non-taxpayer MLE is a little over $10M.  Most of the good teams that might be interested in a vet player like this are in the tax already so could only offer the taxpayer MLE which is $6.4M.  That seems like a more realistic target for Batum.  That is still about double what his option was.

I didn't see him play much in his time on LAC.  I was never all that impressed from what I saw in the past.  Yes, he compiled 8 pts and 4 rebs but that is in 25 minutes.  That is short of even Josh Richardson.

There is certainly room for him on our bench but not sure he is the right/best move for our MLE.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 12:09:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
In hindsight, we should've taken him back in the Hayward trad instead of the exception. He would fit this team perfectly...

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 12:11:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
agreed.  been a while since he was worth that.  would consider the Schroder TPE slot for him though provided he passes a physical and the coach's eye test

To use a TPE means it would have to be a sign and trade which means hard cap.  Our committed salaries are already over the hard cap so we are not going to be able to do a sign and trade.  That options was out the window when Horford became guaranteed.

We can do a conventional trade and use a TPE or we can sign with our MLE or min contracts.  Sign and trade is not an option (at least as I understand it), at least short of some trade where we send out Horford and don't take any salary back (unlikely).  Or if Horford suddenly retires.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 12:13:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Yep. Sold.

Although I do worry about his reluctance to shoot given we already have Derrick White who is reluctant to shoot, Horford who is reluctant to shoot, Rob Williams who is only a garbage man around the basket, Grant Williams who is only a spot up shooter ... I mean, Marcus Smart is clearly our 3rd best creator offensively in that team.

At some point we probably do need somebody else who is willing to take score the ball.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 12:34:42 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

He's a FA and we're not doing a Sign and Trade. The $6.4 million MLE is our carrot. I suspect he ends up back with the Clippers:

LA Clippers forward Nicolas Batum will decline his $3.3 million player option and become a free agent, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. There's expected to be mutual interest with the Clippers and Batum on reaching a new deal in July, sources said.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 01:33:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He's a FA and we're not doing a Sign and Trade. The $6.4 million MLE is our carrot. I suspect he ends up back with the Clippers:

LA Clippers forward Nicolas Batum will decline his $3.3 million player option and become a free agent, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. There's expected to be mutual interest with the Clippers and Batum on reaching a new deal in July, sources said.
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TPE available to use not just for trades but for signing players outright?

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 01:41:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TPE available to use not just for trades but for signing players outright?

No.  It can only be used for trades, sign-and-trades, or claiming guys off of waivers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 01:48:46 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
In a vacuum I like Batum well enough, but at some point we need to, you know, actually improve the offense that just lost us the championship.

Just don’t think he contributes enough offensively given that our bench already includes several low-volume scorers.  With a different team structure, I’d be more interested.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 02:09:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

No.  It can only be used for trades, sign-and-trades, or claiming guys off of waivers.
aw poop.  it was the waiver part I thought included signing players outright